20 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

Yesterday I posted about prairie dog shots at 50 yards. I said I would post some longer shots today. I spent a week the middle of this month in Wyoming on an airgunning for prairie dogs varmint hunt. The gun I was hunting with was my FX 2000 in .22 shooting weighed and lubed 15.9 grain JSB Exacts. The rifle was sighted in dead on at 75 yards. These clips are of prairie dogs that I took from 75 yards on out to 81 yards. I think they do a good job of showcasing the power and accuracy of a good quality PCP when being used in a varmint hunting application. The only real challenge here was doping the wind. Warning: This clip is 5.5 megs.http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

Great shooting Cliff. That sure looks like a fun time with that many targets. You sure can't shoot them with a powder burner and have it partner just stand there and not flinch. Did you manage any doubles during your trip? I would think with the power of the FX2000 you could easily pull off a double.My biggest target to date was a raccoon at 51 yards. It dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

That is really impressive. It looks like you might be able to stretch it to 100 yds if there is little wind. What is the velocity?Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

I can not download this video. Please tell me what I need to do. I am not computer litterite( smart) either.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

The videos are in Quicktime formate so you may need to download Quicktime if you haven't used it before.You can download it here for free but it is a fairly large file.http://www.apple.com...ktime/download/

Time waits for no one--

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

Great shooting Cliff. That sure looks like a fun time with that many targets. You sure can't shoot them with a powder burner and have it partner just stand there and not flinch. Did you manage any doubles during your trip? I would think with the power of the FX2000 you could easily pull off a double.My biggest target to date was a raccoon at 51 yards. It dropped like a sack of potatoes.

It is a blast. Except for shooting the Belding ground squirrels in Oregon and Nevada, I don't know of any shooting that is this fast and furious. I was hoping for some doubles, but the furballs didn't cooperate. I had a few chances, but by the time I got the camera turned on, zoomed, put into record, and got a lasered range, they invariably had moved. You're right, there is more than enough power out to about 80 yards, to take doubles. Oh well, maybe next time. It's an entirely different experience from hunting them with powder burners. The sound of the gun firing, and the pellet impacting, didn't seem to bother them much at all.Nice shot on the coon.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

by the time I got the camera turned on, zoomed, put into record, and got a lasered range, they invariably had moved.

You sound like an F-16 pilot. :) Lots of things to do before pulling the trigger. I guess the friend or foe identification is easier though. :yikes[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#8 Hutch

Hutch

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

Very fun to watch, I enjoyed that video.

#9 FUR CHASER

FUR CHASER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Family, Hunting, Softball, Cooking and being outdoors...if there's something else, too bad I can't afford it!

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

You rock! :smiley_green_with_envy:
If it runs, it'll just die tired--Fur Chaser

#10 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Very fun to watch, I enjoyed that video.

Glad you liked it. I think they're fun to watch and really fun to make. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#11 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

You rock! :smiley_green_with_envy:

Thanks, these modern adult "BB" guns are a blast. Hunting with these things is too much fun, and very challenging. :good: :yahoo:

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

Now if my airgun would just blow the smell away from the skunks I've been shooting it would be perfect. Got another skunk last night and unfortunately he got me back. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Time waits for no one--

#13 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

Got another skunk last night and unfortunately he got me back. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Does liquid vanilla work for removing skunk scent? It seems to work for a lot of the other odors.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

The very best skunk smell remover is Alkaline hydrogen peroxide consisting of 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (from a drugstore), 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and 1 teaspoon liquid soap. This is effective for washing people, animals and places or things they've sprayed.

Time waits for no one--

#15 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

The very best skunk smell remover is Alkaline hydrogen peroxide consisting of 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (from a drugstore), 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and 1 teaspoon liquid soap. This is effective for washing people, animals and places or things they've sprayed.

Thanks. Years ago I would take skunks out of the rice fields, now and then I'd get caught downwind. The vanilla works great for fish, but I've never tried it for skunk.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

Here's an old skunk smell removal idea from one of my old trapping books.EXPERT FOX and COYOTE TRAPPING copyright 1928

Wash hands in kerosene first, then in gasoline. Then wash off good in warm soft water, and some good soap. Wash clothes in gasoline and hang up in the open air until dry, after which they should be washed in water with soap, to remove the gasoline smell. Pelts should be put in a pail of gasoline and shook around for a short time and hung up in the air until dry.

:smiley_green_with_envy: But I have a real old electric hair clipper that says wash in gasoline while running too! :yahoo:

Time waits for no one--

#17 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

Yikes!!

#18 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Don't some of them monks do that in protest (except they then light a match) - :smiley_green_with_envy: Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:58 AM

That helps to get rid of the gasoline fumes much faster. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Time waits for no one--

#20 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

I want to see the picture of the look on your wifes face as you come in after a good spraying :smiley_green_with_envy:

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

She just shakes her head at me through the window then locks the door. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users