Photo

Prairie dogs at 50 yards. I sound like a broken record. (video)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:41 AM

In anticipation of a coming prairie dog shoot, I sighted my FX 2000 .22 in at 75 yards. That distance gave me a one mildot hold under at 50 yards. It was just amazing how many shots I got at those two distances. At 75 yards it was put the crosshairs on the head, allow for the wind, gently squeeze the trigger and watch for the "POP FLOP". At 50 yards it was put the first mildot above the crosshairs on the head, correct for the wind, gently squeeze the trigger and watch for the "POP FLOP". It was almost too easy.Here are four that were at 50 yards. This is about a 3.5 meg clip.http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

That pellet just slices right through them doesn't it. That mildot is sure working for you. I may have to change one of mine around to have a mildot on mine too. Great shooting those are some fun targets.

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

That pellet just slices right through them doesn't it. That mildot is sure working for you. I may have to change one of mine around to have a mildot on mine too. Great shooting those are some fun targets.

Even at 80 yards, the pellet would blow right through most of them. For me and long range airgun shooting, I have to have either a mildot or christmas tree type reticle to make it work. I need those hard aimpoints to reference in order to be consistent in my hold. I thought that ground squirrels were fun to hunt with an airgun, and they are, but shooting prairie dogs with airguns is that much fun, only that much fun on steroids. ;)

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

Good shooting...is the wind 90 degrees to you or .....??? Prevailing in some areas I hunt are 12-15 mph...not a big deal out to 40 yards...but 60-75 yards would be a real challenge...

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Good shooting...is the wind 90 degrees to you or .....??? Prevailing in some areas I hunt are 12-15 mph...not a big deal out to 40 yards...but 60-75 yards would be a real challenge...

I hunt the dog towns on foot taking shots of opportunity, so I'm shooting from all points of the compass. During the day, depending on where the dogs are that I'm after, I can have it coming from any direction. It is a challenge to dope the wind, but where I was hunting there were so many targets, I got a pretty good feel for it relatively quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users