2 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:11 PM

I finally found a decent load for my NEF 223. It refuses to shoot 40gr V-max bullets less than 1.5" and 40gr NBTs hover around an inch. I'm using H335 and IMR 4198, Win brass, Fed Gold Medal Match primers, COL 2.245". So I tried some Speer 52gr Varmint HP (not Match HP) and it's looking much better. Last outing I saw the potential. Today I got a few decent groups with different powder weights both 25.0gr and 25.5gr of H335. That's about 3000fps. I still have a heck of a time shooting 5-shot groups because this darn NEF has such a "challenging" trigger and lock time issues. I can actually see the hammer creep forward as I increase pressure on the trigger until it breaks. Sometimes the trigger feels like 3-4 lbs and crisp, while other shots it feels like 20 lbs and creepy. I am able to call the fliers most of the time, there always seems to be one. Anyways, the best 4 of 5 are satisfactory for this rifle. I don't think it'll do much better than that for 5-shot groups. I will play around with the C.O.L. anyways to see if I can keep things around 1/2". This NEF rifle was probably a poor choice for me to learn how to reload for the first time because they're difficult to find a good load with. Maybe not, I've gotten a lot of experience out of it. Can't wait to start reloading for my other rifles... :lol: Wide 3-o'clock called flierPosted ImageLow 5-o'clock called flierPosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,969 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

Those are getting much better than the first go around. Keep at it or maybe better yet, wait until you get the new rifle going.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:20 AM

I tell ya, it's kinda frustrating working very hard on the bench and firing group after group that measures 1.5" to 2" when you know that same rifle WILL shoot very well with the right magic load. You just have to find it. I'm close now, and good, because once I get my new Savage up and running, I'm not going back to the NEF. :lol: It will be a loaner rifle or a spare etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users