#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

Been shooting ground squirrels on friends property. He has 4 acres and 12 horses in several corrals. Been out early as when temps hit 90 F the squirrels retreat to their "condos". I have two air rifles...Umarex 850 Magnum .177 CO2 (8 shot magazine bolt action and a Beeman R9 DG .22 cal.). Been using the 850 Magnum mostly as shots are mostly just under 30 yards and the 8 shot magazine makes it easy when several squirrels are out & about......using JSB Exacts 8.4 GR...The Umarex has been great...but the "compensator" does nothing so I don't use it...I use the Beeman for the longer shots beyond 30 yards and head shots with that are awesome...Posted Image25 yard head shot...850 Magnum...most shots have been 20-25 yards...very accurate and stable in 70-90 F heat..not much POI changePosted ImageShot 6 squirrels around the wood beams in 5 minutes yesterday..when I got the first squirrel,the rest just stood watching..this is where the 8 shot mag pays off...the shots do not spook the horses...but I must take care not to richocet a shot around the horsesPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageOften I'll use a hasty sling to steady up shots or corral pipe rails for rest..I get around 175 good shots with the Umarex before changing the 88 gram Co2 Air Source....Posted Image

#2 DKOwen

DKOwen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

So I agree with you, the 850 is a great fun for Ground Squrirrels. I like the .22, although my .177 is good as well. I have the .22 basically stock, with the .177 I go with paintball tanks. If kept within reasonable ranges (I agree with 30 yards), they are a done deal.Guys hot rod them, of course, but I can't see much advantage in an extra few yards. As delivered, the gun is the gun offers performance way past it's cost.It's right up there with the R7, 'no home is complete without one.....'.Doug Owen

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

The paint ball tank will be the only change I will make...and you are correct...the extra yards on HPA don't make sense to me either for the 850...but looking at a Discovery .22 next...gots to "round" out the arsenal....

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

I see you have your trajectory chart taped to your R9.

Yes...but calculated for now using free airgun calculators off internet for muzzle velocity,range,pellet BC,etc...need to get a chrony to refine data..(The FPS numbers assume impact velocity at target).using calculated data on both rifles and works ok for now...I included wind drift on card in my pocket,as well for quick reference..(just calculated for 12 mph wind for 30 & 40 yards)..my mil dot scope on my 850 works great...so trying to get everything together to improve accuracy...Yesterday,got a rabbit with the Beeman R9 at 40 yards (measured).Dropped him with one shot..no wind...longest shot for me so far on on small game...very happy with the Beeman...seems to shoot better each time I use it...Posted Image

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:28 AM

I use ChairGun software myself and have a couple of Chrony's to plot speeds with. It fun either way you do it. Some people don't care to take the time or trouble to plot their guns and that's fine too. But I like to make an educated attempt at the longer targets. The lack of targets where I shoot means I like to make the shots count.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

I shot on the Marine rifle team back in 1964 at Camp Pendleton...that experience has helped in setting dope on these airguns together with these calculators..http://www.airgunexp.../calc/index.cfmAlso,find this one useful....http://www.arld1.com...rdonesteve.htmlI just do not want to wound a squirrel/rabbit...so I only take the shot if I'm confident it will be a good lethal shot..and,being retired,I can tinker around practicing alot on paper targets...one thing for sure,hunting with airguns means you must be a good marksman...so IMO,it is necessary to know the rifle's limitations...sure is fun..

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

I agree about not wanting to wound the animals. Being retired does have its advantages. :)

Time waits for no one--

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

Are you turkey hunting this year...?? We only get the spring season (March) down here...not sure I'll be ready,but getting a Discovery PCP .22 cal to compliment the Beeman.....in my drives on backroads last spring I've seen wild turkeys in Cuyamaca State Park...and one on S2 below the Laguna mountains...he was standing right on the double yellow line when I blew past em in my 69 vette...he never even flinched...ha ha ha..

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

They don't seem to move from the cars. We've lost a number of turkeys because they weren't smart enough to get out of the way of cars. But then the people that hit them are dumber than the turkeys in my opinion and best not let me see them hit them around my house.I was all set to go earlier this year but the property I hunt them on was taken away. I need to look around some to find additional spots to go. I'm spoiled because I have so many around my home.Here are some younger birds in my neighbors pasture.Attached File  Turkey_out_back.jpg   88.2KB   43 downloads

Time waits for no one--

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

Yeah,hear that...I was worried he'd jump in front of me...but he just stood there and I cleared by two feet or so...DFG has one organized hunt here on some prime land,but tough to get on list...so I'm thinking of checking out other options....most likely on private land where I can get permission...then,I've read DFG is proposing a fall hunt here...and starting tags for turkeys (state)and doing away with the honor system...interesting...

#11 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

Few more pics...have shot over 30 squirrels...my friend has refered me to another rancher who has a big squirrel issue....may start there next week...Using the Umarex 850,primarily...Posted ImageNailed 10 around the wood beams....Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

That's sounds like a good deal on the referral. Plus 30 squirrels is a good number from around a corral. I get a few here and there around my neighbors horse areas. They love to steal the feed and dig under the stall foundations. I used to have them around my stalls but pretty much wiped them out long ago. I did have one try to sneak back in under my driveway drain pipe. But he only lasted about a day. :014:

Time waits for no one--

#13 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

He has 12 horses in as many corrals...squirrel burrows were scattered around in three areas..The referal property is a good deal...it's on two acres but no horses...believe I may have more "open field" shots there...hopefully I can set up some prone shots from behind a small blind I'm making...

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

I have two stables in my neighborhood each with close to 30 horses. We get a fair share of ground squirrels around them. But the fun thing is when the alfalfa deliveries come in. Once in awhile they'll have field mice living in the bails and then the stables are crawling with them for a couple of weeks until the barn cats or I get to help clear them out.

Time waits for no one--

#15 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Wow...all I've seen here are Quail...Well,done with the Squirrels....on the Rabbits now...(Camera on scope)..experimenting with video's..Posted Image

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

Nice group of bunnies there. :good: I love cottontail there's so many ways to fix it but my favorite is pan frying. That camera setup is nice. I bought an actual video camera like VarmintAir's to play with. But the regular cameras do a terrific job. I didn't even know one of mine does that. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#17 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

That is a Canon SD 400...I have a Sony Handy Cam but wanted to "shock" test the Canon on the springer first..think the Sony will work ok...This was a test shot..you can hear pellet hit chain link fence beyond corrals...forgot to zoom camera out..Posted Image

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

It should work fine. I think VarmintAir on here used to use his video camera on his springers.

Time waits for no one--

#19 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

I've seen his vids...I ordered a Discovery .22 PCP from Mac 1 yesterday...including Tim's tune...been reading forums about it...and seen chrony/target tests...Mac 1 has a good deal....got to wait two weeks as they were out of stock...I'll do some decibel tests to compare it with my Beeman & 850 Magnum and then decide if I need the "muzzle brake"...there are three good sources...Mountain Air, Mike T. on the Yellow forum and a guy in Michigan...Mike T. is cheapest...$36....

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

That will be great. I can't wait to hear how it goes when you get it. VarmintAir on here has both the .177 and .22 Discoveries both by Mac1. He's very happy with them. I'd like to hear how the barrel shrouds work out for you. That would be a super gun to get people into PCP guns. Plus it would make a nice field gun that I myself wouldn't have to be as careful with and if it got banged up, oh well.

Time waits for no one--

#21 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

I plan to test the Disco muzzle noise from at muzzle, then at 25 yards...I'll post results for all three of my air rifles for comparison..(not sure yet on the barrel shrouds as want to get data as is first..)I read Varmitair's post re Discovery before signing up here...that did help influence my decsion..

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

I think the Disco is a great entry level PCP gun you can't beat it for the price. It's also going to be a super hunter because it's so much lighter than most PCP's. Everything I've read about them has been 90% positive. There's always a few things to complain about on any gun. But as a whole it looks like a great package. I'll be waiting to get your impressions on it. The shroud you can do latter it's no rush.

Time waits for no one--

#23 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:37 AM

Update: Spoke with MAC 1 yesterday,and Crosman has shipped my Discovery .22 to MAC 1 so I should receive it within another two weeks...meantime,I bought a Chronograph mainly to test the Discovery after tune by MAC 1. Used the Chrony yesterday testing my Beeman R9 & 850 Magnum CO2. Plus converted my 850 to use a bulk fill Paint Ball tank. Can now get about 500 full power shots on one refill for $2.50....Posted ImagePosted ImageI'll open new thread once I complete decibal & chrony testing on all three airrifles..

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

That new bottle on there is really nice. That's all day shooting for sure. It will be interesting the sound levels you get.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users