#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

Just when I was ready to stretch the leg of my 338 Lapua Improved, the IOR scope gave up it's ghost. I was ringing gong at 600 yards last Sunday morning when the parallax adjustment came loosed after the 5th shot. It didn't affect the adjustment clicks, but it's obvious, the parallax were no longer functioning. I cannot get the scope to focus, and If I do, the next shot would jarred it loose again. The scope was sent back to Colorado for evaluation. It was the first one that failed according to IOR. I hope they'll find the problem. I really like the scope but I'm now doubting it's durability. It will probably gonna end up on my 308 when I get it back. I could kill my self for letting my Mark 4 16X LR go. Those thing are rated for 50 BMG. :signbummer8tl: I guess, I'll try the Nightforce NSX this time.

#2 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

Oh Know ! Bummer. Are you registered with Snipers hide? They have posted numerous IOR failures with that scope but they were of what they call it the" 1st batch". Where did you purchase it? Night Force NXS has a great name no doubt. Durability is highly rated.Optics aren't any wheres close the the German Glass. For what they're asking?....... "US Optics" are the scopes I dream about. Click on their web site. They have a much larger selection then Nightforce and far superior optics. Plus from time to time group buys are managed creating a bargin.

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

Yes. I'm a Hide member. The scope in question there, that failed, were the FFP that was designed exclusively for Snipers Hide. Mine was the latest version of SFP. There were no issue related to these particular model up until now, but then again, IOR made several changes on the design of their latest SFP scopes so, I'll wait and see. There were also discussions about these at at the Long Range Hunting Forum not too long ago. I will hold my judgement until IOR report their findings.

#4 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hey lets get a group buy going with US optics in our CPC club?

#5 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Would you be willing to take the initiative first. I believed we have more people here interested in getting a Nightforce than a USO.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hey lets get a group buy going with US optics in our CPC club?

Better break out the CC for that one! That stuff is EXPENSIVE

#7 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Would you be willing to take the initiative first. I believed we have more people here interested in getting a Nightforce than a USO.

Thought I read a "Group buy on US optics" on Snipers Hide. I think they were paying $1600 bucks for some thing nice. But US optics are all FFP . I've never heard of a group buy on Nightforce NXS I think they(Night force)have strict price controls . Any way NXS is great and all. Its just when I looked through them at my range the images to my 51 year old eyes wasn't any better then my Elite 4200s.

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

Any way NXS is great and all. Its just when I looked through them at my range the images to my 51 year old eyes wasn't any better then my Elite 4200s.

Being both a Japanese made scope, I will be surprise if they aren't using the same glass. I have yet to look through a Nightforce Scope. From what I've heard, the glass is just a tad better than Leupold. If that's the case, I don't have any problem with that. I'm contemplating getting the 5.5X22X56 NXS, NPR-1 reticule and zero stop. With 110 MOA total elevation adjustment, it would complement my 338 Lapua for sure.

#9 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

Heard of a NXS sales rep when he was trying to get a military contract. He picked up a NXS and threw it as far as he could into a asphalt parking lot. Then re-mounted it on rifle and it was still sighted in. Its the price I can't get pass with just ok optics? The difference in $$$$$between NXS and a US optics isn't that much. They have a model SN-3 (Check out their web sight) it has a zoom of 3.2x22.5x56MM with German Glass? Along with just as many different reticule choices. They say they can pound nails also and remain on target.

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

Yeah! but if you add all the options, the price can increase significantly. If thats the case, I'd rather get the S&B.

#11 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

I surely 2nd that. Some of those S&B are in the $3,000 bracket. They make a Varmint 4x16x56MM that goes for $2500 bucks.

#12 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

So what is the latest on your IOR?

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

So what is the latest on your IOR?

Well, they sent me a new one. It now reside on my 308, and it will stay there for good. I'm expecting two Mark 4 arriving this week. One 8.5X25X50 TMR and the other 6.5X20X50 Illuminated TMR for my Lapua. I'm inclined to use the 8.5X25 for the Lapua and the 6.5X20 for the rifle that I'm planning to build.

#14 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

I was able to check out a 6x24x50 IOR a while back. They were nice,but dang I also had my 2.5x16 elite 6500 with me that day. The IOR I didn't think they were profoundly better then my 6500???? So how does your IOR compare to your Leupold's ? That was cool of them to send you a new scope.

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

The glass on the IOR is much brighter than my older Leupold but only at tad better than my MK4, and probably on par with my LPS... at least to my eyes. IOR get their glass from Schott which also provide glass for Zeiss. That speaks volume. I'm really impressed with the design and the precision that is built into the scope. The tracking is so precise... better than any of the scope that I've tested. http://www.californi...?showtopic=4887

#16 pistolpete75

pistolpete75

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Precision rifle shooting, Family, Eatting Out, Friends.

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

My friend has two scopes fail on him. They were the first focal plane versions. I'm currently running a USO SN3, and I've been completely satisfied with it. The new NF FFP scopes has me interested too. I met some guy on the hide that can get it for $2,125 shipped and it comes with rings.

#17 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

Fox have you looked into Premier Reticles. These guys used to supe up the the Leupold scopes for the army back in the 80's and early 90's, they also used to service S&B scopes. They currently make the Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Tactical 34mm rifle scope. I haven't touched one yet but I hear they are as good if not better then S&B and US optics.

#18 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

Fox have you looked into Premier Reticles. These guys used to supe up the the Leupold scopes for the army back in the 80's and early 90's, they also used to service S&B scopes. They currently make the Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Tactical 34mm rifle scope. I haven't touched one yet but I hear they are as good if not better then S&B and US optics.

The problem with Premier scopes it it $3,000 bucks including tax.

#19 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

The problem with Premier scopes it it $3,000 bucks including tax.

$2,799.00 SWFA no Tax ( I think no shipping to) I've purchased scopes from them before they are pretty good.

#20 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

Premier were designed for tactical shooter. The dial and reticle are MILrad base and it's FFP. They're kind of coarse for my liking. I'm not a tactical shooter. I like scope that I can use for hunting. SFP, MOA are more appropriate for my type of shooting. That's why I choose MK-4 Leupold on my 338 Lapua. Although Leupold's reticle were mil base, the dial are moa.

#21 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

Premier were designed for tactical shooter. The dial and reticle are MILrad base and it's FFP. They're kind of coarse for my liking. I'm not a tactical shooter. I like scope that I can use for hunting. SFP, MOA are more appropriate for my type of shooting. That's why I choose MK-4 Leupold on my 338 Lapua. Although Leupold's reticle were mil base, the dial are moa.

Ah. I thought you where in to Long range Tactile shooting. not just the basic Long range plinking.I've always felt FFP mildot milrad scopes where superior to to RFP mildot Moa scopes. even for hunting. Mainly due to the Math but partly due to training. They just tend to so darn expensive. When you wright they are to coarse are you referring to the mechanics? If I ever have the money to dump on a nearly 3k scope I sure hope I'm getting the best.

#22 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

I'm more into long range hunting. I was talking about the FFP design and the milrad dial. Each click of the dial, I believe is .1 mil. Being an FFP scope - everytime you increase magnification it will also enlarge the reticle. Good for ranging and fast target acquisitions, but would obscure small target at a distance.

#23 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:14 AM

Ahh Ok. The Gen II Mil dot is a little thinner then the old mil dot and The Gen II XR mil dot is even better (they say the XR reticle is better for hunters and target shooters). I prefure FFP for that exact reason. Same scale at any magnification for ranging. To me the biggest selling point for mildot is ranging. Hold over shooting is a secondary. Most of the high end tactical scopes have the features I want.1) Mil rad based reticle2) mil rad adjustments3) FFP4) reticle adjustable illumination 5) 3 or 4 power to around 15 or 18 power.5) long eye relief6) tough as nails scope.To me in my honest opinion the FFP tactical scope is best platform between Long range target shooting, and Hunting. The bad side is they cost a whole lot ussually twice as much as the gun I would put them on.Cost is what pretty much keeps me out of the long range stuff. the best I have right now is pure hunting riffle that only looks like a long range tak driver. my cheap remmy 300wm shoots sub moa with some ammo and is only good to about 600 meters mabey 800 on really good day. Unlike you're AI 338 LM there is no way I can hit at 1K or beyoond 1k and stay within a 10" circle. I'de love to be able to get at those ranges specially for competitive shooting but cost is to much of a factor mabey if I score a real good contract (I do I.T. Work) or win the lottery 8). and I have alot of firearms on my list I wish to get.Some days I wish I had less expensive hobbies. My home network and Personal Computer rig probably cost more then all my firearms combined. And I had to sacrifice getting a boat for the swimming pool my wife wanted ... now If I can only figure out how to stock it with bass and trout.BTW I'm looking for a good but affordable ballistic cacl program that works on both windows mobile 6 pro and win XP pro ... any ideas?EDIT: I know this isn't exactly what you want but I figured I may bring it up. Falcon Optics of the UK Makes the Menace 4-14x44mm FFP 30mm Tactical Rifle Scope. It is a FFP scope that comes in both 1/4 MOA adjustments or .1 Mil Rad adjustments. IT also has 2 reticles choices a FFP ML16 (Skeleton) or a FFP Enhanced Mil Dot. It is rated to handle up to 338lm and only cost about $400 US (Ussually just under like $395) It is suppose to have good (we are probably not talking S&:) glass and quality. Most likely that in the 500-900 dollar range. It lacks reticle illumination. I'm considering one of these as my next scope.

#24 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

EDIT: I know this isn't exactly what you want but I figured I may bring it up. Falcon Optics of the UK Makes the Menace 4-14x44mm FFP 30mm Tactical Rifle Scope. It is a FFP scope that comes in both 1/4 MOA adjustments or .1 Mil Rad adjustments. IT also has 2 reticles choices a FFP ML16 (Skeleton) or a FFP Enhanced Mil Dot. It is rated to handle up to 338lm and only cost about $400 US (Ussually just under like $395) It is suppose to have good (we are probably not talking S&:rofl2: glass and quality. Most likely that in the 500-900 dollar range. It lacks reticle illumination. I'm considering one of these as my next scope.

I heard about the Falcons, good and bad. I believe it has a lot of Chinese components on them. For a few dollars more, you're better off with Leupold MK4. My 6.5 X20X50 TMR has illuminated reticle. The TMR reticle design is great for all around shooting and hunting... much better than the IOR's MP-8 which I thought were the best.Here's what 1800 yards looks like through the IOR:Posted ImageHere's what 1300 yards looks like through the Leupold's TMR:Posted Image

BTW I'm looking for a good but affordable ballistic cacl program that works on both windows mobile 6 pro and win XP pro ... any ideas?

I use Exbal by Perry System and I'm happy with it http://www.perry-systems.com/

#25 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Fox. The Leupold looks much cleaner and Clearer. does it have .mil rad adjustments and is it FFP?Least now I know to stay away from IOR (I typical prefer to buy American German or British and in some rare cases Japanese.) I'll blast you PM later prob tomorrow or I'll start another thread topic with some questions about exbal.

#26 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

I like that mark 4. I put one on my Lapua last year. This summer I hope to begin learning how to shoot that rifle long distance. I also need to learn how to use my reticle properly.

#27 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thanks Fox. The Leupold looks much cleaner and Clearer. does it have .mil rad adjustments and is it FFP?Least now I know to stay away from IOR (I typical prefer to buy American German or British and in some rare cases Japanese.) I'll blast you PM later prob tomorrow or I'll start another thread topic with some questions about exbal.

That's just the way the camera was focus! Remember, it is 500 yards farther. Actually the IOR has better glass but don't have the toughness of the Leupold. Both scope are SFP and has MOA dials. I'm really impressed with this latest version of Leupold Mark-4. The TMR design were well thought out. I wasn't surprised with the precision of the elevation and windage dial either. All my Leupold from the early Vari-X III to the new MK4's tracks precisely. I don't know what the fuzz over there at the Hide regarding Leupold's not tracking well. I didn't experienced any of it on all my Leupold. :signlol2iu: Besides, they look good on my rifle.Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

thought that was a side by side comparison thanks for clearing that up. Nice looking Riffle and Gear.

#29 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Well, here's the IOR before my 338 ripped it apartPosted ImagePosted Image

#30 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Does the MK 4 have better glass than the VX111 ? How about the VX7 ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users