27 replies to this topic

#1 DJGrisham

DJGrisham

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

Attached File  1.jpg   13.36KB   9 downloadsNew toy built in .204 Ruger. Can't wait to try it out!
P.E.T.A. "People Eating Tasty Animals"

#2 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

That's dead sexy! 24" barrel?

#3 DJGrisham

DJGrisham

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

It's a 24" E.R. Shaw barrel with RRA upper, Stag lower. Don't much care for the stock and thinking on a Gisselle 2 stage trigger. I'm done breaking in the barrel, now to go pop some critters! It's still a virgin!

#4 airman

airman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

Holy dog poop nice weapon!

#5 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Great looking AR. If you decide to go with the Geissele, you shouldn't be disappointed. I love mine!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#6 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

She shor is pretty! Whats it weigh?
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#7 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

Very nice lookin rig!
MIKETEAM .204"Had God not intended for humans to hunt, he would not have made animals out of meat."

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

How does it shoot? Any pictures of targets?

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Euuuuweeeee . nice
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

WOW nice rig!!!!! What scope do you have on it? When you get some shooting details on it be sure to post them. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

Well, that's what I get for waiting this long. I was building my CMMG exactly like yours with an A2 buttstock instead and I'm sure a less pricey scope. Same setup in .204. It looks amazing to see it built. You've got a PM headed your way for some other details.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

Totally sweet. :smiley-funny-post-sign: I have two rifles with E.R. Shaw barrels and both are good shooters.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

That thing is friggin SA WEET! Can you give us a cost break down of what you spent if you dont mind DJ, and is that Cal legal?
KILLEM ALL, LET GOD SORTEM OUT!!!

#14 Remi700

Remi700

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Shooting, and Hunting.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

Be sure to post any results you get. :signbummer8tl:
Joe

#15 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

Looks really cool. How much was the upper? I know you said it's an ER Shaw barrel, but I don't think they make complete uppers?

#16 DJGrisham

DJGrisham

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

Thank you for the responses. If I had to build it again I could have saved some loot. But sometimes my need for instant gratification gets the best of me! I purchased my lower stripped receiver for $150.00 plus $25.00 FFL dookie. It is a Stag lower. Good rep and a lifetime warranty. The trigger I bought ($60.00) is a standard military issue single stage from Stag. It's a little heavy pull so I'm thinking on the Gisselle 2 stager. The pistol grip is a Houge which feels great in the hand and costs around $25.00. The stock is a regular joe blow but lacks a good cheek weld. Magpul is what will replace it. The bullet button costs around $20.00 and is required in California. Easy to use but it sucks. I keep a 25-06 full metal jacket bullet in my pocket as my tool. I purchased a complete upper for $625.00. Here's the link - http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=106. It took 5 buisiness days to arive at my door. (instant gratification :signbummer8tl: ) the upper is a RRA bolt carrier with an ER Shaw 24" Stainless steel varmint heavy barrel with 1/12 twist chambered in .204 Ruger, 2 pc solid free float tube with bipod stud and A3 flat top receiver. The scope is a Leupold VX-I 3-9x50mm. I payed $250.00 plus $50.00 or so for the sun shield and caps. I want to replace the Weaver scope rings with something removeable. Any suggestions would be great! Will this throw off my accuracy? And last but not least, I do not know the weight of the rifle because I do not think bathroom scales are very accurate. Maybe I can take it to the Post Office and have them weigh it? :rofl2: . Last but not least again, I just finished breaking in the barrel. I cleaned after every shot for the first 10 rounds, every other shot for the next 10 and every 3 shots for the next 10 rounds. I will post my results next time I get to the range. They were pretty tight off my bi-pod but I think a new trigger, good bench rest and no coffee will squeeze them holes right up! I hope I answered all your questions and please try not to laugh too hard at what I spent! I'm happy with it and it only took me 3 weeks to build! I'd do it again! Here's one of two pics... DennisAttached File  2.jpg   20.51KB   9 downloadsAttached File  1.jpg   19.33KB   9 downloads

#17 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

"I want to replace the Weaver scope rings with something removeable. Any suggestions would be great! Will this throw off my accuracy?"If you have the change:Larue LT-104 or LT-139 depending on your needs. Some people use these when they have several different scopes for the same rifle. As long as you put it back in the same grove, it will shoot in the same place.Armaliite also makes a mount that can be had for around $90 and when it was on sale it was $49.The best review for AR-15 mounts I have found is at: http://www.maxicon.com/on this page: http://www.maxicon.c...iece_mounts.htmI just ordered a LT-139 for my AR-10.Good luck,David

#18 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the specs.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#19 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

I use the Weaver Grand Slam Rings Lever Lock Extra High on several of my rifles. See Midway link if for some reason the picture won't show on the link. But you can just input the Midway product number in search and it will come up. If you double cleck on the link the picture should come up. Funny thing they list my review of the product. WOW how cool is that.http://www.midwayusa.../...&t=11082005 Weaver 1" Grand Slam Rings Lever Lock Matte Extra HighProduct #: 984743Status: AvailableOur Price: $26.99Average Customer Rating

#20 hawkeye80863

hawkeye80863

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Wildcats, Reloading and going after the coyotes that tried to make a meal of my pointer.

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the build specs. I looked at the link you provided and I'll be giving them a call on Mon to check on availability of their complete uppers. I think I should spend some money now just in case the November elections drive up prices.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

#21 DJGrisham

DJGrisham

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Check Model 1 sales, I think they had the same upper a little cheaper... PK Firearms had mine delivered in 5 business days.

#22 DJGrisham

DJGrisham

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Bronco, those look like pretty nice rings.

#23 DJGrisham

DJGrisham

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:31 PM

Did you have any luck? Were they in stock?

Thanks for the build specs. I looked at the link you provided and I'll be giving them a call on Mon to check on availability of their complete uppers. I think I should spend some money now just in case the November elections drive up prices.

#24 DJGrisham

DJGrisham

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hey thanks StoneTower. That was one of the better websites I have seen for mounts. Have you ordered from them? They have a lot of goodies! Dennis(the link... http://www.maxicon.com/[/url] "

"I want to replace the Weaver scope rings with something removeable. Any suggestions would be great! Will this throw off my accuracy?"If you have the change:Larue LT-104 or LT-139 depending on your needs. Some people use these when they have several different scopes for the same rifle. As long as you put it back in the same grove, it will shoot in the same place.Armaliite also makes a mount that can be had for around $90 and when it was on sale it was $49.The best review for AR-15 mounts I have found is at: http://www.maxicon.com/on this page: http://www.maxicon.c...iece_mounts.htmI just ordered a LT-139 for my AR-10.Good luck,David

#25 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

~Very Nice~ :)

#26 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

I do not know the weight of the rifle because I do not think bathroom scales are very accurate. Maybe I can take it to the Post Office and have them weigh it?

ROFLMAO Id LOVE to see that... I can just see you whiping that thing out :) Can I weigh this please :smiley_kewlpics: and then everyone would hit the floor LOL.. I guess wed all know real quick how much it weighs once it hit the news..Looks real deadly :roflmao3[1]:
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#27 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hey thanks StoneTower. That was one of the better websites I have seen for mounts. Have you ordered from them? They have a lot of goodies! Dennis(the link... http://www.maxicon.com/[/url] "

I believe that the maxicon website is but a review of all the different mounts. If you are interested in a LaRue, they sell them directly. I understand that you get a bunch of cool stuff with it if you order from them directly. I purched my LaRue mount from a guy on AR15.com that had 5 new mounts for sale. This AR10 project is costing me a small fortune and I need to save where I can while getting exactly what I want. Money saved here and there = more ammo :signgreatreport3kg: Good luck,David

#28 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:21 AM

Did you have any luck? Were they in stock?

DJ: They scope rings where in stock each time I ordered them. Do go with the extra high rings otherwise your 50mm bell will not clear. I found out the hard way and had to reorder. Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users