Photo

How are you guys holstering your sidearm when Coyote hunting?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

I understand that, but mechanical things can fail. I was taught to always use safeties but never to trust them.

#32 High Desert 'Yote Sniper'

High Desert 'Yote Sniper'

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:40 PM

My side arm, a Ruger 4" GP-100 is carried in a Bianci GI flap holster, the same model that is used for the current service pistols, but designed for this revolver. I carry the weapon loaded and 12 spare ctg's in a pouch on my Brit. WW2 issue soft webbing belt. This and a belt knife is my every day rig. The old Brit. soft webbing belt is VERY comfortable, especially on long hikes. The weapon is completely protected in the flap holster, but can still be drawn quickly. I carry this revolver mostly for self protection, but have used it to KO a few really close and foolish coyotes, usually under 40 yds. It's my "finisher", finishing off a few jobs that my rifle starts. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#33 chinny33

chinny33

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, fishing, hunting, spearfishing, God.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

thigh holster with a Glock 20, 10mm

#34 usahunter

usahunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

Just had a mt lion come into our coyote calls monday, less than 20 ft above my partner with his rifle pointed in the wrong direction, of course my .45 semi was pointed in the right direction, so that's why I carry a handgun while coyote hunting .

#35 NVScouter

NVScouter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

I like my Glock 22 in a mild belt style cross draw that is comfortable driving and sitting on stand. My 45LC is in a western style hoster I made but the G22 is more comfortable.

#36 Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

Grizzly Adams carried a single shot riffle a pistol and a bowie knife. He said he bought the pistol as a back up gun. Guess what he used most to save his life from several grizzly bears, an elk and a buffalo?After reading Grizzly Adam's Biography and calling in my second Mt. Lion, I started carrying a good Bowie Knife cross draw. There's not much that can beat a good knife for close quarters combat.Also lions attack from behind and I have issues with pointing a pistol at my self to dislodge a lion from my neck. :D
Tactical Squeaker

#37 usahunter

usahunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

Fieldmouse, yeah, I'd much rather spear myself through the neck with a bowie knife than lose my hearing shooting a cat off my back lol :D

#38 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

:D :D :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#39 Field Mouse

Field Mouse

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

:signs1180lq: Lets hope the day never comes when we have to choose......I had to deal with a lion that roamed into town a few months ago.....Jokingly I asked a guy, if that lion jumps on your back...do you want me to shoot it or beat it off with my stick....He said SHOOT IT! Screw that...I don't want anyone shooting at me.....Lion or no Lion.But there are so many lions around now days......My hunting partner called in another one last night. He turned on his light to see the ole cat looking down on him from a rock.
Tactical Squeaker

#40 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

I have a Glock 22 (40 cal) and a 4th generation IBW holster but I think it would be quite uncomfortable while hunting. I too think a thigh set-up would dirty the gun and/or get in my way. Wearing the pistol higher would seem a good way to go, especially in brush. Is there a shoulder hoster that's ideal or do all the options have a downside? This one looked okay except that the mag pouches might get in the way.http://www.combathun...Adjustable.html

#41 Iron Worker

Iron Worker

Iron worker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting/Fishing/ Hiking

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

Mine rides my belt and feels just fine. 8" Colt Anaconda. I wear a hand gun on coyote stands for three reasons self defense,Because I can,love to be armed to the gills in a legal context.

#42 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:17 AM

I recently got a Blackhawk CQC holster. You can adjust the angle from crossdraw to strongside butt forward, and it came with a regular belt style atatchment and a paddle. The gun snaps into the holster positivley and is held in place by its trigger gaurd. When drawing the weapon the trigger finger pushes the release button to set it free. Scince there are no retention straps to drag the gun through it's a much smoother draw/reholster than my thumb break style rig, especially in the cross draw position. I give this rig an easy two thumbs up and would recomend it to anyone. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#43 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

I use a fobus paddle holster for my glock 22 at it works great for keeping the gun out of the brush. The great thing is you can position it anywhere to make it comfortable. The gun seems like it will not fall out, but I check every once and awhile anyways.

#44 Dmbrown34

Dmbrown34

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

Why carry a handgun while calling coyotes?

b/c of cats!

#45 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

The creeping and tugging is what I am experiencing. I really like the idea of a leg holster as it kind of gets it out of the way. I will try it first with a different belt, then try just having the holster on the belt.What does a High/crossdraw look like?I'm new to this, but my reasons are:1. Self Defense in a close quarters situation (not against coyote's but 2 legged or even a mountain lion) I plan to be in some pretty remote areas, why not have a little backup just in case? Who knows who or what you will run into. What if you were out hunting alone, and you fall and in the process, get separated from your rifle. It could possibly be days before being found. It would be nice to have a sidearm to fend off the predators. I'm not planning on going Rambo or anything, but it's not that heavy so why not. Just seems like a bit of insurance and the great thing is I already own it!2. Putting a wounded coyote out of it's misery while not using a $4 shell.

dont forget snakes, the first shot in my kimber 45 is snake shot even if a big ol cat comes around it'll get snakeshot before the 230 gr.gold dot hp. i have had a couple of mis understandings with snakes and i have won them both. the first time all i had was my 243 and a shotgun with 00 buck,not enough bb's for snakesthen i argued with the second one and won with the kimber and snakeshot.
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#46 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:34 AM

I wear a shoulder holster for my .45. That way I can be sitting down with nothing binding, or tough to draw from. Normally in a stand, I will have the .45 cocked and sitting in my lap. That way I just drop the rifle buttstock off my shoulder and just point the .45 where I need to. Makes things work very smoothly and easily.Darren

You're cocking that Sig P220 and then setting it down in your lap? :roflmao3[1]: :WTF_1:

Sometimes, since it uses a transfer bar, you have to pull the trigger to free the firing pin. Although normally, I use it double action in my lap, just as added safety.Darren

I understand that, but mechanical things can fail. I was taught to always use safeties but never to trust them.

Thats pretty much the same as having a loaded (Chambered) Glock on your lap. Both would be in condition 0. If an accident were to occur it would be because someone or something (tree branch or stick ect) moved the trigger.Me personally I like the Double action first shot.BTW I just ordered a Black Hawk Serpa OD green tactical holster for the sig line (level 2). I'll post pictures and a review of it.
Smyrna Lodge #532 F. & A.M.Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit!

#47 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:30 AM

2. Putting a wounded coyote out of it's misery while not using a $4 shell.

Coup de Grace.Really the main reason to carry a handgun. Or if you are a shotgun hunter you may want something with a bit more range for a bit of peace of mind. Since most of my hunting is done during the cooler months snakes are usually not a problem...even if they are I don't kill em usually...unless one is about to crawl onto my lap.I've carried a sidearm (usually .22LR) on my side in a holster...if you make a lot of stands sitting down on the ground the holster and sometimes the gun can get a bit grubby. I usually place an 22LR revolver in my jacket pocket. The whole mtn lion thing cracks me up honestly...if it came down to needing it (highly unlikely) I'd much rather have my shotgun/rifle over drawing a handgun.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#48 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

Really the main reason to carry a handgun. Or if you are a shotgun hunter you may want something with a bit more range for a bit of peace of mind.

I thought thats what Rifled slugs where for? .... 8)

#49 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

The whole mtn lion thing cracks me up honestly...if it came down to needing it (highly unlikely) I'd much rather have my shotgun/rifle over drawing a handgun.

Another situation is you have fallen off a cliff or something and are separated from your rifle/shotgun. If you had a sidearm holstered and on you, you have a higher chance of still having it after a fall. ALso, what if a Mountain Lion was already on you, chewing on you?? You MAY have a chance to get to your handgun before bleeding out. lolI am still not carrying everytime I hunt though. Just one more thing to weigh me down I guess.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#50 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

Plus you can always shoot yourself after that fall or the lion takes a bite out of you. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#51 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

Yikes!!! You are right...didn't think of that. Or maybe I fell off the cliff and into a lake...I could drown. I'm gonna start carrying a scuba tank too! :smiley-funny-post-sign: ...just playin...I've carried my sidearm plenty...better to be prepared.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#52 pumapatrick

pumapatrick

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

The mountain lion/handgun response, I hike in the forest 40miles per week. I was on a trail, very quiet, a dog came from behind me and hit me in the back of the legs.... instant heart attack...Never heard it coming!........If it was a Mtn Lion....my family would reading about it.........not me telling them. That being said, I always carry something sharp, with bullits, or sprays nasty stuff.

#53 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

Update: I got my OD green Blackhaek Serpa Tactical holster Today. Over all Quality is good. It allows access to your front and rear pockets. All straps are elastic to some degree and there are clips or bands to secure access strap with. The holster fits my body then any other tactical holster I have ever tried. Now this is a 220/226/228/229 Right handed holster. I have a pre 94 AW ban Sig P229 .40S&W and a Sig p220st-r (Rail) .45ACP. The fit on the p229 is a little loose with a very small amount of play. It does secure and easy to holster and draw.The fit on the p220 is a tight. It takes a little effort and force to Holster and draw it. IF YOU DO NOT HEAR THE CLICK IT IS NOT LOCKED IN. this was a little disappointing as I primarily purchased this for my p220, however it is not unusable and may work better with some practice and break in time. I'm not sure if it is the Trigger guard, The rail, or some other area of the pistol that causes the tightness. There does seem to be a spot on the outside of the holster for your finger to use as an assist getting the pistol in and locking it. Most safariland SSIII leather holsters I have used in the past where harder at first.One thing the release on the holster is going to take some time getting use to, as I found myself going for the thumb release to draw.This is not a field report but a first impression I'm taking the holster out this weekend to see how well it preforms.

#54 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yep it's going to need break in time for my 220. It's also going to take some getting use to as I keep looking for the thumb snap instead of the side release. The 220 and this holster May require some blow dryer time to get it to fit correctly. Over all it's a darn good holster. keep the top strap snug and the lower strap a little loose and it should not ride down on you much.Pro's: one of the best fitting tactical holsters I've ever had. Fits the sig 220/226/228/229Optional attachments. Can change the holster out with another (say a m1911) without repurchasing the base.Very Very Flexible platform.even as level 2 retention holster the serpa lock gives it very good retention however this was meant for hunting not duty use self defense against gang bangers.Made in the U.S.A.Con's 228/229 fit a little loose 226 has a tight fit and the 220 has a very tight fit requiring break in and/or blowdryer time. If you don't have several different sigs You may want to get on specifically for your model.heavier then a typical tactical holster specially if you add attachable options.as with all major holster changes it takes time to get used to.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#55 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:06 AM

Good report - I have this same holster on the way for my P220, along with the Serpa Platform for my Eberlestock X1 pack. That way I can move the holster from the thigh to the pack depending on what I'm doing (Oregon allows pistol carry during bowhunting season). I may end up just keeping it on the pack though - the past couple of times I went out for varmints, I just kept my pack on since its so comfortable - and hydration is right there... I'll post up my experiences when I get mine.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#56 outdoorsguy29

outdoorsguy29

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Say field mouse where are you located so I can go so armed if I should decide to head into your neck of the woods

#57 DocEarp

DocEarp

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Offroading, fishing and my dogs.

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

I say that you just either stick it in your pocket or in the small of your back in your pants........:horse apples: I carry mine in a drop thigh holster with a pistol belt. I also have a drop platform for the other leg to balance out the load. I have my knife, leatherman and extra magazines on that platform. Also have my blowout kit in a Molle pouch on that leg. Never know when you are going to need it and when you dont have it, your going to need it. I let the rig ride up on my leg then readjust it after a few hundred yards. Need to get the straps with the no-slip material on the inside of the strap.

#58 Jamesjeff44

Jamesjeff44

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

I use one of the old WW 2 leather shoulder holsters with either my 1911 in it or my Ruger mk2. although I haven't needed it yet after capping a coyote, I like having the option.

#59 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

This post makes me feel old!

Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#60 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Whoa, new guy brought his shovel and came ready to dig!

Hic Ego Statio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users