Photo

How are you guys holstering your sidearm when Coyote hunting?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

I will be carrying my XD Subcompact 9mm this season while Coyote hunting. I have a regular belt holster as well as a Military style leg holster that I can use. They are both uncomfortable (maybe I need some sort of suspenders to take the weight off) so I am trying to get some other ideas. I was thinking during the winter of getting a vest with the holster attached to it (again military style) and in the hotter months using a shoulder holster. It needs to be open carry, but comfortable.What are you guys using?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

I carry a drop thigh holster for my XD 45. It's just in the right spot and out of the way when crouching, moving, etc.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

Hubby carries it on his belt.. I carry my rifle..
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

I carry a drop thigh holster for my XD 45. It's just in the right spot and out of the way when crouching, moving, etc.

That is the kind that I have but it just seems to drag down. Are you using the snap type military wide belt with it? If so, are you also using suspenders?I think if I used a different belt (one that actually fits through the belt loops on my pants) the leg holster would work better. I really like the idea of using the leg holster as it gets it out of the way, plus is much more visible for open carry.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

I use a thick leather belt. I've found that if you unclip the uppermost clip, and loosen it then re-attach it a little higher than you would expect it to go THEN tighten it...it's much less likely to droop. Mine droops a small amount but is plenty tolerable. Also, I rotate the unit slightly more to the front of my leg than the side, it has more of a custom feel to my body but my leg muscles seem to support it up higher there and reduce slipping...but that could just be in my head.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

A sub-comact 9mm is dragging your drawers down?! Heck, my wallet weighs as much as most of those things. :) Are you wearing it on the belt you use to hold your pants up? If you are get a seperate pistol belt. I carry my big bore wheel guns on a pistol belt and don't have any problems. I carry all of my sidearms in a cross draw position. This way the butt of you pistol never smacks the stock of your rifle when it's slung on your shoulder plus it's easier to draw from a sitting position.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

:)

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

A sub-comact 9mm is dragging your drawers down?!

Yeah, I'm weird. I hate wearing tight belts and when I tried my military webbing style belt (like 3" wide) it just felt akward. I will try the leg holster with a regular leather belt and see how that feels. I'll also try rotating the holster forward.Clampdaddy, you must have one heavy @ss wallet! Time to go through that thing and thin it out before you have back problems. :)Also, as far as a pistol belt, are you talking a size that goes through your belt loops? Cause the belt I have for my leg holster is really wide and I guess more for a MOLLE setup.Here are some pictures of basically what I have:Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

Why carry a handgun while calling coyotes?
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#10 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

Bob, just incase you run across any of those "evil MaryJane growers" LOL. Got plenty of them east of me here in the Sierra foothills. Up north, they were shooting at the firemen working those fires, and they had to call the Sheriff up to protect them.
John in Tulare, Ca

#11 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

I carry this lil S&W .38 revolver loaded with mostly snake shot during the hot months. Posted Image
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

You never know when a lion might jump on you. Right now i use a paddle holster for my xd the only bad thing is when I sit down it pokes me in the side.What do you guys think of the blackhawwk serpa holster?

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:32 AM

I'd bet that if you attach the holster directly to the belt your problems will go away. I once had a cowboy style holster with a leg tie and it would tug at my waist too. When walking, the leg tie would creep down a bit when my leg was straight down but upon stepping forward it would get tight and tug at the holster. I got rid of the leg tie and the problem went away but then I had a long holster hanging off my belt and it would try to come up when drawing my pistol. That's how I came to the high/crossdraw method of carry.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#14 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:17 AM

What do you guys think of the blackhawwk serpa holster?

That is my OWB holster I use with my XD-40. Lightweight, you can 'cant' it and weapon is secure with the Level 2 system. I'd like to get the drop setup for it though, especially when carry a rifle. Even though Blackhawk doesnt carry a legdrop holster for it, you can get the platform and the holster still attaches to it, like the Glock, Sigs, etc that they carry. Legdrop setup is kinda pricey though, about $75 or so, minus the holster which is $40 or so. Will have to think about it more......someday....Blackhawk Serpa dropleg holsterPosted Image
John in Tulare, Ca

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

I'd bet that if you attach the holster directly to the belt your problems will go away. I once had a cowboy style holster with a leg tie and it would tug at my waist too. When walking, the leg tie would creep down a bit when my leg was straight down but upon stepping forward it would get tight and tug at the holster. That's how I came to the high/crossdraw method of carry.

The creeping and tugging is what I am experiencing. I really like the idea of a leg holster as it kind of gets it out of the way. I will try it first with a different belt, then try just having the holster on the belt.What does a High/crossdraw look like?

I'm new to this, but my reasons are:1. Self Defense in a close quarters situation (not against coyote's but 2 legged or even a mountain lion) I plan to be in some pretty remote areas, why not have a little backup just in case? Who knows who or what you will run into. What if you were out hunting alone, and you fall and in the process, get separated from your rifle. It could possibly be days before being found. It would be nice to have a sidearm to fend off the predators. I'm not planning on going Rambo or anything, but it's not that heavy so why not. Just seems like a bit of insurance and the great thing is I already own it!2. Putting a wounded coyote out of it's misery while not using a $4 shell.

#16 nevjohn

nevjohn

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

Dont forget..... you gotta use non-lead ammo in the "condor strip", even in your sidearm. I havent quite figured out yet any non-lead snake shot?? I agree with you on both 1 & 2.
John in Tulare, Ca

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

Yep, I already have some 9mm cor-bon on order through 10%. I also ordered some barnes 9mm bullets to reload. I actually think I convinced Wes at 10% to order a box of cor-bon 40sw for himself (since he carry's a 40 when out Coyote hunting). You really only need one box of handgun ammo (until you start firing rounds off) to keep yourself legal in the Dead Zone (I mean No-Lead Zone).That stuff is sooo expensive though. $30 for a box of 20 9mm. $15 just for 20 slugs. Man I hope more and more manufacturers get going on this non-lead stuff.

#18 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

What does a High/crossdraw look like?

It's not a true "high" crossdraw, it's just higher than a drop holster. I have a friend who carrys the same way but he got a mil surp ALICE set, ditched the pouches and suspender pads, and uses that as his pistol belt.Posted ImageFor me it is by far the best way to carry when I'm also are carrying a rifle. It puts some weight on the other side of your body, your guns will never hit each other, it's easier to draw from a sitting position, you can draw your side arm with either hand, and it's more comfortable when riding in the truck.

#19 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

O.k. I know this sounds stupid but what about using the holster that came with the XD?

#20 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:22 AM

I wear a shoulder holster for my .45. That way I can be sitting down with nothing binding, or tough to draw from. Normally in a stand, I will have the .45 cocked and sitting in my lap. That way I just drop the rifle buttstock off my shoulder and just point the .45 where I need to. Makes things work very smoothly and easily.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#21 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

I was hoping someone with a shoulder holster would pipe in. So it doesn't get in the way of shooting/handling/slinging your rifle?

O.k. I know this sounds stupid but what about using the holster that came with the XD?

The thing I don't like about the XD holster is it lacks a snap or anything to hold it at the top. I know it's pretty secure, but I feel better about having a snapping enclosure for a hunting rig. Who knows what kind of running, crawling etc you will have to do. Plus it provides a bit more protection when going through thick brush.

#22 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

Bob, just incase you run across any of those "evil MaryJane growers" LOL. Got plenty of them east of me here in the Sierra foothills. Up north, they were shooting at the firemen working those fires, and they had to call the Sheriff up to protect them.

That's a +1.I have a shoulder holster.An Uncle Mike's.It's for the Ruger RedHawk.Modified it to have speed loaders.Haven't used it in years.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#23 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

I wear a shoulder holster for my .45.Darren

Same here, but it is a little NAA .22 mag revolver I carry.SteveH.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#24 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

This site http://www.pistolgear.com/ has a lot of holsters to choose from. Right now I just use a paddle holster for when I confront trespassers .I have been thinking on getting a Hume style.

#25 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

Yep, I already have some 9mm cor-bon on order through 10%. I also ordered some barnes 9mm bullets to reload. I actually think I convinced Wes at 10% to order a box of cor-bon 40sw for himself (since he carry's a 40 when out Coyote hunting). You really only need one box of handgun ammo (until you start firing rounds off) to keep yourself legal in the Dead Zone (I mean No-Lead Zone).That stuff is sooo expensive though. $30 for a box of 20 9mm. $15 just for 20 slugs. Man I hope more and more manufacturers get going on this non-lead stuff.

I think you just carry a box of 19 of them?yes sir that's the bullet I used, right there...

#26 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

Mine is very similar to this one but is desert camo colored and my ParaOrd 14+ fits just fine. I leave the thigh strap just a tad loose so the whole thing moves with my leg.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#27 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

Normally in a stand, I will have the .45 cocked and sitting in my lap.

You're cocking that Sig P220 and then setting it down in your lap? :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :WTF_1:

#28 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:03 AM

Wanna, I like the drop holster as well. When I've carried my Sig and sat down on the ground I often found I was getting my pistol down in the dirt and filthy. Perhaps with your little compact you wouldn't have that problem.

#29 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:50 PM

My newest toy to the armory.

Attached Files

#30 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:10 AM

You're cocking that Sig P220 and then setting it down in your lap? :signgreatreport3kg: :WTF_1:

Sometimes, since it uses a transfer bar, you have to pull the trigger to free the firing pin. Although normally, I use it double action in my lap, just as added safety.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users