18 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

When a varmint hunter thinks about prairie dogs, probably the last thing he would think of is airguns. His thoughts are usually about powder burner calibers like the .220 swift, .22-250, 6mm Rem., and other appropriate varmint calibers.I've hunted them for decades with those calibers, and many more, but I've thought for a while now about going after them with an airgun. Well, I'm not getting any younger, so I decided that this was going to be the year. I just got back from 5 days in Wyoming airgun hunting the black tail prairie dog. What an absolute blast. Talk about putting your wind doping skills to use. This type of hunt will give them a real workout.It's not a question of will it be windy, but just how windy will it be. I spent a few hours on the prairie sighting in my FX 2000, and RWS Rapier, both in .22, at 75 yards. This also gave me an opportunity to shoot in the typical conditions that I would encounter over the next five days. The BIRCHWOOD CASEY Shoot-N-C targets were perfect for this work. My tired old eyes cannot see the pellet holes in a paper target at 75 yards, but Shoot-N-C targets made it a breeze.The FX 2000 was my main hunting gun. It is stupid accurate, and fits me like a glove. The RWS was to be my backup gun incase Murphy should show his ugly head and I had any problems with the FX 2000. The FX 2000 has a Bushnell 7X21X40MM 3200 mildot scope mounted on it. Sighted in at 75 yards, gave me a one mildot hold over at 100 yards, and a one dot hold under at 50 yards. It was a killer combination.There were times when I had 20 to 30 dogs in range at one time. They were literally everywhere on this cattle ranch. I would walk through the towns and take shots of opportunity. I had my AIRHOG Pigmee tank on my belt, along with four 8 round magazines, and a pouch full of JSB 16 grain pellets. My binoculars are 8 power and I also use a laser range finder. All Shots were made from a Stoney Point telescoping bipod. Shots ranged from 30 yards out to a little over 100 yards. There were times that I was holding a mildot over and two mildots into the wind to make the shot. What a hoot to see the dog roll off the mound after reading the wind, holding off accordingly, and making a good shot. I killed hundreds of dogs over the five days. The rancher was happy, and couldn't believe I was doing it with an airgun.Here are a couple video clips I made during the hunt.http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

That sure sounds like you had a good time. In the second video, were you able to get the second little dog that leaned over and sniffed his buddy?

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

That sure sounds like you had a good time. In the second video, were you able to get the second little dog that leaned over and sniffed his buddy?

Yes I did. I'll post that clip tomorrow.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:33 AM

Great stuff Cliff! When that first dog just just falls over and drops back into the hole, I loved it. The second one was a classic when the smaller one checks on his friend. That probably wouldn't happen with a firearm. One shot and they all disappear for a bit. :)

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:01 AM

Great stuff Cliff! When that first dog just just falls over and drops back into the hole, I loved it. The second one was a classic when the smaller one checks on his friend. That probably wouldn't happen with a firearm. One shot and they all disappear for a bit. :)

One of the things these guys are really good at is falling down their holes and out of sight. I took the butt sniffer with the next shot. I didn't include it in this video because the files get so big it takes forever to upload. I'm going to post it a bit later as a stand alone clip.

#6 Locnload

Locnload

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, and coyotes when the opportunity presents itself, (I don't have the calling thing down yet).

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:27 AM

Very good shooting. 81 yards, very impressive.

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

Here's the clip of the second one on the mound dropping.http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

Man, that was a heck of a shot. It looks it just dropped in over that clump of grass to nail him in the head. Great shooting.

#9 magshooter

magshooter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:29 PM

i love the slow mo it looks great nice shootin. what kind of airgun you useing?

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Great shooting.

#11 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

i love the slow mo it looks great nice shootin. what kind of airgun you useing?

I was shooting my FX 2000 PCP. Unfortunately it's no longer made. Great gun though. Here's a couple pics from the hunt.Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

I love that little refill bottle. I bet that saves a lot of walking back and forth to the truck? Nice setup, you seem to like that gun more than many others.

#13 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

I love that little refill bottle. I bet that saves a lot of walking back and forth to the truck? Nice setup, you seem to like that gun more than many others.

You know how sometimes a gun just fits? That's the way this FX 2000 is with me. I love the other guns I've got, but the FX fits like an old comfy glove. I've got more trigger time on the FX than any of the other guns I own. I figured that If I'm driving 1200 miles to hunt Prairie Dogs in the wind, I'm going to use the gun that I'm most comfortable with.The AIRHOG Pigmee tank is the cat's meow for this type of hunting. I could not have done this without it. I get 32 shots out of the FX before she needs to be refilled. As you can see from the numbers of dogs, that doesn't take long to go through. I'm as much as a mile from my truck in these towns, so there isn't going to be any running back to the rig for more air every 32 shots. With the Pigmee, I was good for about 300 rounds before I needed to refill it from my 88 cubic foot main tank. It rides real well on my belt.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:40 AM

I understand about the gun it's like an old friend and since wind is not an airgunner's friend you need one you trust. Yep, I can see where that little bottle is a must have item if you're doing any real shooting. I hate to say this but I've been looking at buying my own compressor to fill my tanks.

#15 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

I understand about the gun it's like an old friend and since wind is not an airgunner's friend you need one you trust. Yep, I can see where that little bottle is a must have item if you're doing any real shooting. I hate to say this but I've been looking at buying my own compressor to fill my tanks.

That's an option I'm keeping open as well. So far the Dive Shop in town has worked out just great, but in todays economy, you never know when that resource might go away.

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

That's my problem. I have a paintball place that will fill them for $5 but the air quality (moisture) is questionable. I have gotten them filled at the fire station too but I hate to do that too often. I haven't found a dive shop that will go past 3500 psi anywhere in town.

#17 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

That's my problem. I have a paintball place that will fill them for $5 but the air quality (moisture) is questionable. I have gotten them filled at the fire station too but I hate to do that too often. I haven't found a dive shop that will go past 3500 psi anywhere in town.

I was 20 miles from the ocean in California, and couldn't get a dive shop to go more than 3200 psi. Then I found that the Sports Chalet store in Northridge would go to 4500, and used them for awhile. Then suddenly they wouldn't fill at all.I move to Arizona, 500 miles from the ocean, and there's a dive shop in town who fills to 4500 psi. Go figure? I'm just glad they're here.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:06 AM

That sure is nice to have a place that close who isn't afraid to fill to what the tanks were designed for. The fire department doesn't even blink because they fill their tanks to the same pressure on a daily basis. I'll keep looking for a bit longer but I think a compressor might be easiest for my situation. Especially since the more I shoot this new gun the more I want to shoot it. I've been eying a couple of more NEW guns and even right handed guns. It's like a sickness and I think the only cure is to buy more of them. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#19 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

That sure is nice to have a place that close who isn't afraid to fill to what the tanks were designed for. The fire department doesn't even blink because they fill their tanks to the same pressure on a daily basis. I'll keep looking for a bit longer but I think a compressor might be easiest for my situation. Especially since the more I shoot this new gun the more I want to shoot it. I've been eying a couple of more NEW guns and even right handed guns. It's like a sickness and I think the only cure is to buy more of them. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I was talking to Martin at AIRHOG one time, and he told me that the tanks themselves are tested to 16,000 psi, and the burst disk is set to 7250 psi, so folks who are afraid to fill to 4500 just aren't informed.I hear you on the new guns. Falcon has some newl models out that Beeman is importing that look kind of interesting. I'm drawn to those skeleton stocks of theirs. There is no end to this, and that's the good news. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users