8 replies to this topic

#1 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

I'm interested in finding a scope base for a winchester short action that can accept other accessories along with the rings, such as a bubble level and cosine indicator. I guess I'll need 1" rings too, since my rings will no longer be compatible. Call me picky, but I don't want to limit access to my action any more than necessary, and I'm hoping for something reasonably priced and not too clunky.Suggestions?

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

Suggestions?

You might this Brownells base: http://www.brownells...o...398&s=50249

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

You could also go with a set of those tacticle style scope rings that have an extra piece of weaver mount on top or on the sides of them, or you could just get a bubble level and cosine that clamps onto the scope tube.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:06 AM

I have the clamp-on bubble level on another (varmint) rifle. It works but its not too sturdy and I could see it catching on twigs & such for a hunting rifle. I like the brownell's base you showed, thanks!

#5 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

Get the Mil-Spec. 1913 Picattiny base, preferably with 20MOA slope... it will come handy. Also buy the Tactical rings, not the Weaver type. It will match better with your base. Get your cosine indicator from Badger Ordinance and for bubble level, the US Optics folder is one of the best there is. These stuff aren't cheap but they are designed for the military and they'll withstand hard use and will last a long time.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#6 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

are these the ones you described?Posted ImagePosted ImageI was amazed at the price for the cosine indicator! Definitely need to price shop that item. there is also a GEN2 indicator that sits below the mount instead of above. Any thoughts which is better? The guy at EGW says a 20moa slope won't be enough to matter on the cosine indicator. Agreed?is the folding bubble worth the extra $20?

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Yes! that's the one. You wont find it any cheaper anywhere else. Nightforce make their own version in degrees rather than cosine. I like the gen2 better than the gen1. It rides low to my liking. Here's what they look like mounted on my 338 Lapua.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

Loader, if you want the finest, best looking (w/smooth lines), most durable & strongest sporting rings & mounts on a predator hunting rifle, then take a look at Conetrol (in Texas) on the net. Several friends & I won't buy anything else. Better hurry though, as the owner is old. lol Conetrol's have pin set screws, and no e x p o s e d, ugly lugs, screws or clamps that (do) break. I've owned many, if not most brands of ring & mounts over the decades, including Leupolds and they cannot compare to Conetrol. The price is only slightly higher than the other standard brands, and not anywhere near the high cost of a picattiny(a fine military product)! Another option for you... And Good Luck on whatever you choose Frank

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

The guy at EGW says a 20moa slope won't be enough to matter on the cosine indicator. Agreed?

The 20MOA slope on the Picatinny base that I'm talking about has no correlation with the angle indicator. It will only increased the elevation available to your scope... that is if you want to utilized the elevation knobs. Angle cosine indicator on the other hand will give you correction for uphill and downhill shot. And the bubble level... of course to avoid canting the rifle when you take a shot. Hope I made sense. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users