2 replies to this topic

#1 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

Shooter John was saying that it is legal in CA to hunt Turkeys with anything .20 caliber and above. :good: That appeals to me much more that using the 870 - noise, neighbors etc. Plus I just don't like shooting shotgun at anything that isn't flying.So I'd love to hear from folks that have done this. I assume you go for a head shot. Seems like you need to get alot closer than with a shotgun.Ever do this by spot and stalk? :P

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

I shot my first turkey with one of my Beeman airguns a couple of years back. Yes it's best to go for a head shot but with the more powerful airguns available now you can kill them with body shots. It took me less than fifteen minutes to get my first turkey but I was able to hunt in an area I couldn't using a shotgun. It's great sport if you have any access to turkeys.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 DKOwen

DKOwen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

I don't hunt turkeys, but I know a couple of guys that do. In fact one borrowed my .22 Career 'for the hunt' and kept it for several years.....I finally ended his excuses by selling it to him at a loss. Great guy, used it for the Hunter Education classes at the club and also for the Scouts (he's a Scoutmaster too). Between them several turkeys with airguns, all head or neck shots. Not much to aim at and a very weary prey (but I guess that's part of the sport).Head/neck shots are popular in that misses usually don't involve a wounded animal (very hard to run down with gobblers).BTW, full camo and calls seem to be necessary parts of most turkey hunting.Best of luck, there seems to be more and more turkeys around all the time....some of them with feathers.Doug Owen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users