• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:16 AM

Well; my poor eye sight was confirmed yesterday. I took my new Spikes Tactical ST22 out to Manteca's Sportmens Range and tried my hand at open sights. Shooting from the 50 yd bench with winds up to 10mph I settled in and see what I could do. I ran just a little over 200 rounds of Federal Copper Top 36 grain bullets through the rifle with no failures what so ever. The first 200 where for break in only and really didn't keep track of the groupings. Running my bore snake to clean the barrrel after each 20 rounds up to the first 100 rounds. After that I cleaned every 50 rounds up to another 100 rounds. I then decided to get serious and see what I could really do. To say the least my eyes are poor and I have a new pair of bifocals that are giving me fits and it was hard to get a clear picture of the target. I then posted a 7" vertical squirrel target and I loaded up one more 9 shot mag and let it rip. Out of 9, 4 hits within the kill zone, 2 others would have been hits on if it was a real squirrel and 3 where just plain misses. I took the rifle home cleaned it and removed the carry handle rear sights and the EOTech from the front rail and installed a Simmons 3x9x40mm scope I had up in the cabinet. I'll do another post when I take the rifle back out. :two-cents: Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#2 sendin

sendin

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

Yeah - the eyes. Gotta go get mine checked too. Never had any problems with scopes, crosshairs or open sights - now it is a whole new ballgame.My Mom does yoga eye exercises every day and she wears glasses, but she hasn't had to get a new set of glasses in over 20 years and it has been confirmed by several eye exams. It works for her. I just have to remember to do them and maybe I will have some luck.Good luck with the scope and the next round of shooting.Denny
Molon labe!

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

Not all .22LR ammo is created equal or shoots well in every gun either. You have to see what ammo it likes before you do any real accuracy tests. Plus a 10mph wind has its effects too. But I'm betting it's the ammo. Not much break in with a .22LR and a bore snake doesn't really clean much. Try so different ammo.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

If it doesn't get any better, you had just better fix bayonets and go for the kill. :good: db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

If it doesn't get any better, you had just better fix bayonets and go for the kill. :good: db

Bozsik, I think I have what is needed!! Thanks for the idea... LOL :P Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#6 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

Not all .22LR ammo is created equal or shoots well in every gun either. You have to see what ammo it likes before you do any real accuracy tests. Plus a 10mph wind has its effects too. But I'm betting it's the ammo. Not much break in with a .22LR and a bore snake doesn't really clean much. Try so different ammo.

Ditto! Get ya a bunch of .22lr and go to town. Don't be affraid to try the bulk packs (400-550 rd bricks) as you may be surprised at how accurate they can be. You will find one or two your rifle likes. My 10/22 LOVES Winchester Dynapoints (If you can find them). It also shoots the American Eagle AE22's very well.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users