10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

Can anyone head me in the right direction on fishing for the barbed surf pearch around the Morro Bay area. What bait to use? Artifical or live bait? Tides that make a differance? Anything else you can think of to help me out. I am retired and have a 20 foot fifth wheel trailer. I am good to go!!!

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

PM sent

#3 onecoyote

onecoyote

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting, fishing, gold prospecting and rock collecting.

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Almost any sandy beach with sand crabs should be good. Best bait, sand crabs, sidewinders, trapped anchovies, cured mackeral, blood worms, fresh musssel and a few other baits. The best all around bait I've seen for barred perch is soft shell sand crabs and fresh dead trapped anchovies second. Night fishing can also be productive, but don't shine the light in the water, barred perch don't like light. An in coming tide is usually best, but sometimes out going can be good. Always best to fish the surf when the tide is moving. You need to read the water, find holes, thats usually where the fish are. Don't over cast the fish.

#4 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

Eho that.

#5 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

.........."Don't over cast the fish.".........I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand what you mean! In other words..... where do you catch the surf perch? How close in are they or how far out are they? I take it , they are inside the breakers for sure. Deeper than three feet?Also, I ordered a bunch of Senko type plastic worms today and I am going to try that method of fishing in the California Aquaduct. Maybe the Stripper have not seen that type of bait before.

#6 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:11 PM

you could head over to avila pier, and fish for many different species. and the best part is that fishing from the pier is "free" (no license required). here is a link to some info on it Avila Pier
This is Remington Country!

#7 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

Good info. Thanks very much. Very interesting.

#8 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:46 AM

yea no problem, ive been getting back into surf fishing lately. and ive been caching some yellow fin croaker and some, actually very few corbina. but its been a blast. what is your set up?

#9 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

I want to try something new to me and maybe the fish also. I recently started fishing again after my stroke seven years ago. I had lost all movement in my upper right side plus my ability to speak. I have gottin it all back now. So fishing (and yote hunting) is back on the front burner. I was a Bass (large mouth) Guide in San Diego for 8 1/2 years. My son showed me the Senko way of fishing. It works great. I would have never thought of fishing that way. I want to try that method on Barbed Surf Perch. Small hook and maybe a 4 to 6 inch plastic worm. Whacky style. = hook thru middle of the worm sideways. That method goes againt all the rules about hiding the hook, but it sure catches fish. Our biggest = 10.4oz. Large mouth, two months ago.

#10 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

that sounds awesome, what kind of reel and rod are you using? i have an old Garcia-Mitchell 302 Saltwater from the 70s and a new 10 ft Penn Power Stick Surf Rod. i love this set up because its so sensitive and yet still has some backbone in case i hook into something big like a bat ray or a leopard shark

#11 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

here are some pics of one of my surf trips Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users