• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

I tried just for grins the federal premium in 43 grain tnt speer bullet in 22-250. Quite accurate for me@ 100 yards. Almost grouped in the same hole, however looking up the ballistics ,it really craps out past 200 yds for energy and velocity compared to a 40 grain ballistic tip.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

Is that the lead free tnt bullet I hear they are supposedly comiing out with, Eric?I just loaded up some 45gr TSX non lead bullets today and am wanting to try something in the 50gr weight range also. Only problem is, once again Barnes seems to be just about the only one available still & unfortunately may have to try their grenade bullet. I'd love to get away from Barnes altogether but may be awhile for other brands are readily available?! We'll see.Anyway, glad to see the TNT's working well for you...Frank

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:13 AM

Yes ,its the lead free. the barnes in the 243 works real well. It only looks bad on the 22-250 on ballistics down range. Really poops out ..,compared to a little 40 grain ballistic tip.the 43 grain speer slows way down out at a 100 yards .

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

What twist rate is your barrel?

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

What twist rate is your barrel?

1-14 on the 250. Does shoot the 55s good . Just always wanting to try something new. It used to love 50 grain v-max black hills gold but no more and cant figure out why, unless they changed there load.

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

That's great to hear those 1 in 14 twist barrels will stabilize this stuff!

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

I just got done trying the 50 grain black hills again, A four shot group out of a lead sled is right in all four corners of a 3" box!!

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

That's not good at all.

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

DO you think the 43 gr will anchor a coyote and how much is it for a box of 20. I was talking to a guy that is not going to deer hunt this year because of the lead ban and price of non lead ammo.

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

DO you think the 43 gr will anchor a coyote and how much is it for a box of 20.

Only one way to find out.

#11 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

DO you think the 43 gr will anchor a coyote and how much is it for a box of 20. I was talking to a guy that is not going to deer hunt this year because of the lead ban and price of non lead ammo.

I have some Fed Prem 43 gr but haven't tried them yet. I really would like to find something off the shelf 50 gr or over that will shoot. I'm old and don't save fur and don't want to track a wounded dog for miles. I know, if you hit them where you should they won't run. :signbummer8tl: Woodog

#12 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

Because these non-lead bullets are composed of materials that aren't as heavy as lead they're having to be made longer. Longer bullets need a faster twist rate in a barrel to stabilize them. Considering most factory 22-250's are 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist you are going to have a mission on your hands finding something that will shoot well.

#13 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

Because these non-lead bullets are composed of materials that aren't as heavy as lead they're having to be made longer. Longer bullets need a faster twist rate in a barrel to stabilize them. Considering most factory 22-250's are 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist you are going to have a mission on your hands finding something that will shoot well.

I do think the .22 cals are really going to limit there shots to 200 yds. ( I do anyway because i miss them further out). The 6 mm s are going to accept the lead ban a little better.

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

You could always rebarrel it so you could shoot something heavier. Or even switch to a 6mm Remington.

#15 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:01 PM

I just had a new barrel made in 22.250 (26", Pac Nor super match, 3 groove, tight neck) for one of my Savages with 1:10" twist just to shoot the 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades in. As soon as I get into the new house, I'm going to disassemble my 300 WSM and convert it into another 22.250.

#16 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:05 PM

How well would a 1-10 shoot 55s in lead in a 22-250?

#17 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:33 AM

You're probably right because it didn't shoot all that great with Rem 55gr lead, but looked better with 45gr although I didn't put much through it. I'm trying to set up two rifles for the non-lead zone and keep the others shooting lead for the lead OK zone. Maybe I'll just put the .22-250 back with the lead shooters and see how the CZ American 527 .223 likes the copper stuff. The Tikka Lite .243 will shoot anything.Hmm, a Tikka Lite in .22-250? :signbummer8tl:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users