• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

I'm sure you could get it for cheap. I like my old Sheridan too but it's really loud like you say. My other airguns are really quiet. My AA410ERB is so quiet the pellet hitting the animal is louder than the gun. I shot some English sparrows the other evening and they didn't fly off as I was shooting their buddies. :crazy:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#32 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

I understand, I don't have my gamo anymore it was stolen if i did I could show a group. I need a new air rifle all i have is a Ben Sheridan and it makes so much noise when i pump it all the pigeons fly out of the barn. how much would a used beeman r9 be worth i know a guy that might sell one .The wood looks like it was dragged behind a truck.

I doubt that you will be able to find a used R9 Goldfinger unless someone is getting divorced. Actually the fit and finish are pretty nice. My only dislike is that Beeman put a dark brown stain over a nice piece of wood. Buy what you can afford and make it work for you. The Goldfinger is not cheap at around $500, but the Gamo I bought is a piece of dog poop at $140.Woodog
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#33 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

Well i was wrong it is beeman GS 950 it has great power for how it looks what should I offer 50 bucks.

#34 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:53 AM

My beeman GF(while it's a break action, GF does not mean girl friend in this case :rolleyes:) is about a month old now and I have about 100 pellets(crow mags) thru it. What I have found is that poi varies greatly depending on how it's held or braced. From a bag it's dead on, however, from shooting sticks it's consistently low left and not reliable for taking of game. I also need to get my hands on some JSB Diablo's as I feel accuracy could be improved by using a different pellet. It will take some more time to figure this one out.

#35 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:27 AM

All springer air rifles are hold and grip sensitive. I've also shot over 30 types of pellets to find the ones that work the best accuracy wise and those were the JSB's. If you plan to shoot offhand I recommend a soft leather glove for your forearm shooting hand. You want the gun to rest in your almost open palm, don't grip the stock. You want the gun to slide in your hand somewhat under recoil. It's called an artillery hold. That way it's like shooting from a bag rest. Find the trigger grip that works for you but make it consistent. You want to hold the gun the same way each time and never with a death grip. It all comes with practice. Shoot my springers without a thought it just drops into my hand and that's it.You only have a hundred pellets through your gun? I shot more than that the first time I took mine out of the box. In the winter shooting indoors I used to shoot that many an evening after work. Just pretended that the target was everybody I didn't like that day at work and it made the shooting more enjoyable. :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--

#36 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

I noticed they do vibrate a lot . Give those gamos a chance try some different ammo I liked the heaver gr pellets in mine.

#37 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

I guess I may give them another try. Just FYI though, I am using the JSB Diablo roundnose pellets.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#38 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

It's hard to beat that JSB Diablo pellet. Those pellets seem to shoot great in almost every airgun. Great hunting pellet too.

Time waits for no one--

#39 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:14 AM

There are a number of questions you want answers to first.1. How much $$$$$ are you willing to spend?2. What are you going to use it for/ on?3. Do you want a springer or PCP?My advice would be to borrow or try some of your buddies airguns and see what you like or works well for you. Ergonomics, weight, $$$, accuracy, how noisy is it, etc. I also understand that there is a pretty good airgun store just over the hill from you in Hesperia that carries some of the more high end airguns. Both springers and PCP's. You might want to check them out to see what some of the really cool stuff feels and looks like.Have fun with your quest and if your like most you'll wind up buying two or three before you know it.

#40 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

Ha - that's funny. I ended up buying the R-9 and I'm already eyeing a PCP for a second gun!

#41 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

Good Choice on the R9. Even though I don't own one of the German made Beemans, (yet...... I'm looking to eventually get a RX2) I understand they are hard to beat. Presently all of my airguns are springers/gasrams. I must say that when I do by an airgun I tend to go .22cal and I too have been thinking about adding a PCP to my collection. I was handling a Benjamin Discovery the other day at MAC 1 and liked the feel of it. Very light weight and had a nice ballance to it. Having seen some of the after market add-ons for the Crosman CO2 guns I banking on some pretty trick stuff for the Discovery in the not to distant future. I'd be interested in hearing what kind of PCP your looking at.

#42 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

Well my R-9 is in .20 cal so I'm looking to go up to .22 in a PCP. Right now I'm favoring the Walther 1250 Dominator, but I've also looked at the Air Force Condor and the Sumatra carbine.

#43 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

The people I know that have experience with the Sumatra's LOVE them. Great value, and some SERIOUS power! The carbine looks to be one handy little rifle. Pretty light gun, and easily tucked into the body for stalking through the thick stuff.Being a six shot, magazine-fed repeater doesn't hurt, either!

#44 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:15 AM

I've got the Sumatra in 25 cal, and it has plenty of knockdown power. It does handle well. It is pretty loud though for a pellet rifle, but it is also 25 caliber.dbAttached File  DavidSumatra25Cal1stHunt.jpg   62.61KB   33 downloads
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#45 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hey that picture looks familiar. Didn't you do a review of the sumatra for Pyramid air or someone?

#46 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

Well my R-9 is in .20 cal so I'm looking to go up to .22 in a PCP. Right now I'm favoring the Walther 1250 Dominator, but I've also looked at the Air Force Condor and the Sumatra carbine.

I've picked up and handled a Sumatra and was surprised how lite it actually felt. I'm not as familiar with the Walther Dominator. The only thing that I've read nagative about rotory magazines is that some are not long enough to hold the longer pellets. The things that I like about the Discovery is the lower operating pressure, the simplicity of the design, and the potential to modify it. So what is your motivation to move up to .22cal? I have read all about the pros and cons of .177, .20, .22,and .25 calibers. I have found that for most of the critters that I am going after that I like the stopping power of the heavier calibers. I haven't found that the "flatter trajectory" of .177 to be that much of a difference over .22 at 50 yards or less. Personally I like the pure hitting power of .25 but there are only a handful of airguns that have enough cajones to blow out that much lead with any type of authority. I love the hitting power that my .25 Theoben Eliminator has. It litteraly has spun rabbits 180' when they were hit. In addition to the Discovery, I have been eye-balling a Condor that Air Hog advertises in .25cal. Like I said before.......it's hard to be happy with just one. I wonder if there is a 12 step program for ariguns?

#47 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

Well - now that you mention it - maybe I should do some more research :signlol2iu:

#48 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Bought a .22cal Discovery today at MAC 1. Tim tuned it up while I was there and he chrono'd it at 870fps prior to leaving the shop. I'm not sure but I think he was using a JSB pellet. I should have paid more attention. Compared to some of my springers, the gun almost feels like a toy. Even with a scope on it I doubt it weighs over 7 pounds. I wound up getting the package with the air pump included. Something about bouncing along on all those back roads with a full scuba tank just dosen't sound fun. I figure even if it takes me 50 to 100 strokes to fill the thing it's just more exercise that I could use. I must say the noise level is more than my springers, (at least for now) so no target practice in the neighborhood. Got to start hitting up all of the Airgun forums for the latest modifications and extras. "Watch out Mr. Wabbit" EH EH EH EH EH EH.

#49 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

That's a great gun and nice and light for hunting. The blast from an un-shrouded airgun can be pretty loud. Even my old Sheridan put out a BIG Blapp! Somewhere in one or two of these topics I mentioned a place that makes shrouds for the Discovery's. They were pretty cheap too. Have fun with it.

Time waits for no one--

#50 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

You probably do this automatically, but just in case, give the barrel a good cleaning. Both of mine had quite a bit of gunk in them. I think you will have a lot of fun with the Disco. I got both of mine from MAC1 too, and they're tack drivers. The triggers aren't quite the same as my high end guns, but in the accuracy department, and for me that's where the rubber meets the road, they hold their own quite nicely against guns costing three and four times as much. Enjoy.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#51 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

I found the link for the Discovery shrouds it's: http://www.mountaina...tomairguns.com/

Time waits for no one--

#52 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

Congrats on your Disco from MAC 1... I receive mine tomorrow also from MAC 1 with pump....(.22 cal)

#53 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the link John. I will be calling them tomorrow with credit card in hand. Being that they are somewaht local I would expect pseudo instant gratification.

#54 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

You probably do this automatically, but just in case, give the barrel a good cleaning. Both of mine had quite a bit of gunk in them. I think you will have a lot of fun with the Disco. I got both of mine from MAC1 too, and they're tack drivers. The triggers aren't quite the same as my high end guns, but in the accuracy department, and for me that's where the rubber meets the road, they hold their own quite nicely against guns costing three and four times as much. Enjoy.

Thanks for the reminder/advice. I cleaned the barrels on all my other airguns after reading a blog about it, for some reason it skipped my mind on this one. It will give me something to do next time I get board of working on the stock I'm making for my Walther Falcon Hunter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users