53 replies to this topic

#1 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

I like the RWS - handled one at Bass Pro. I like the speed and the warranty. How loud is it?Are all of the RWS's the better Diana version?I live near the foothills in Rancho Cucamonga and I really want to go hiking / hunting as well as use it in the backyard for fun.I've read the forum and know what a lot of folks say about gamo, beeman etc. I think I'm going away from Gamo and maybe look at the Beeman.The Walther Falcon Hunter seems like alot of gun with .22 going 1,000 fps.Then there is the RWS Hammerhill - seem like a good buy.I probably shoudl have just done an impulse buy!Any advise?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

One big piece, DON'T DO AN IMPULSE BUY! Take your time and get one that will really do the job for you. There are a bunch of folks on here that can help, so read their advise, sift it, and then make a decision. But take your time!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hey Braz - I was only kidding. I'm really looking forward to having some good time hiking around the nearby mountains - just like when I was a kid with a bb gun. I'll take all the advise I can get!

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

You don't want a pellet gun that's shoots 1000 FPS. The reason is the pellet breaks the sound barrier you get that annoying .22LR CRACK and the supersonic speed upsets the pellet affecting accuracy. It's best if you buy a certain airgun to find a pellet heavy enough to lower the muzzle velocity to somewhere around 850 FPS. That way no CRACK and your pellets fly truer you still knock everything dead.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

Good advice - especially for back yard plinking.The RWS 350 mag shoots a .22 at 900 fps. Plus I hear that I can hunt Turkey with it - although that sounds like a challenge.I think I'm leaning towards this one.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

You can hunt turkey with any airgun of .20cal and larger so you are correct. The .20cal is extremely popular as it combines the flat shooting ability of the .177 with very good ballistic coefficient. Similar to what the .204 does and how it actually out preforms some larger calibers. Have fun, that's what airgun shooting is all about.

Time waits for no one--

#7 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

I want this one...GAMO WHISPER

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

If it was me, I would just save up for a Beeman r9 Goldfinger. Shooterjohn has turned a bunch of guys onto it and it is SAWEET! I went the cheap route and bought a Gamo Big Cat and it is POS. When and if I get another Air Rifle, it will be this one. I got a chance to shoot Woodog's R9 today and it was nice! It's like shooting a really nice rifle. And I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed to get quieter as we shot it. Woodog hasn't put that many rounds through it and it is said to get quieter after the first 100 rds or so.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

Jason that Whisper isn't that quiet or accurate unfortunately.

Time waits for no one--

#10 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:41 PM

Really? I'm interested because it's so quiet but if it's not accurate I suppose it's not going to do me any good. I have not come across any negative reviews on it so far, but now that you say that I'm going to dig a little deeper and perhaps even go back to the drawing board.John, I want something relitively quiet and accurate and I don't want to spend over 300 bucks on the thing. It's going to be my daughters BB gun & I'll borrow it for special covert backyard Op's.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

Will your daughter even be able to cock the rifle? The faster break barrel type airguns aren't very easy to cock to load for a youngster. How old is she? Plus that gun is pretty long maybe too long for her. It would be great if you could let her hold one before making the final purchase. Just some things to think about.

Time waits for no one--

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Jason I forgot to mention why I wondered if your daughter could cock the rifle. It isn't a springer with a spring inside like most of these airguns. It is a gas ram that compresses a cylinder sort of like a shock absorber. They can be rather stiff but you do get away from the twang that some cheaper springers have when the spring lets go during shooting.

Time waits for no one--

#13 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

Here is a good sight with reviews of most of the ones that I've considered (and a few that are way out of my league)http://www.straights...selections.htmlBased on what I read I'm thinking I'll save a bit longer and go for the RWS 54. It is similar in price range to the Beeman gold finger that everyone really likes but has some neet features.Jeez, the more I study, the more I have to spend. :good: Oh well. The more I study the more excited I am to get one of these bad boys and go shoot some pests!

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

You better try picking one of those up before buying it. They weigh 9 pounds without a scope so you're looking at over 11 pounds with a scope. Plus they're $650 you could get an R9 Goldfinger from Straight Shooters for $499 and it weighs a bunch less.

Time waits for no one--

#15 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

again good advice - I've got a Remington target rifle in .204. Awesome rifle but with the scope and bipod its over 10 pounds - no fun to carry and impossible to shoot offhand. Any stores in So. Cal other than Bass Pro where I could pick one up and feel it abit?I think I like the R-9 because I want to shoot from iron sites for a while. Other than the scope and the muzzle break is there much difference between the R-9 and the Goldfinger?

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

The standard R9 is just open sights otherwise they're the same gun. But the scope sure is nice. You could go here: http://www.pomona-airguns.com/They're in So. Cal.

Time waits for no one--

#17 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks John - they are right over the hill - I'll set up a visit with them before I decide.

#18 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:24 AM

The standard R9 is just open sights otherwise they're the same gun. But the scope sure is nice.

Yep. I was pleasantly surprised by the scope.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#19 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

Well I went up to see Steve at Pomona Air Guns.Ordered an R-9 in .20 caliber. I got it without the scope because I really want to get back to iron sights for a while. I can always add a scope later if I want to. Steve certainly knows his stuff and is a gentleman to boot.Should come in next week.Can't wait! :signs430gh:

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:59 PM

Very nice you'll like the gun it has a great trigger in it, it's quiet and packs a good punch..

Time waits for no one--

#21 goldenarrow

goldenarrow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Check out this web site for airguns http://www.pyramydair.com/ they have all the way up to .50 cal

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

gamo are accurate if they were not they wouldn't be in business. The one I had was a good shooter killed many pigeons and rabbits a few squirrels.

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

Gamo's are ok shooters but they aren't built to last like real adult airguns. They are more a use it for awhile and throw them away. Most aren't repairable like the better airguns.

Time waits for no one--

#24 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

Here are some interesting decibel level tests...note drop in noise level over distance...I have an MK Audio Dosimeter and my Beeman R9 DG .22 cal pretty much matched the R9 .177 cal at 10 & 25 yards...http://www.straights...ibelrating.htmlMy audio meter...10 yards from the R9...wanted to measure noise level at our kitchen door,which is about halfway to my pellet trap(side yard range)...average was 85 decibels at 10 yards..Posted ImageRadio Shack has cheaper meters for about $45...

#25 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:14 AM

gamo are accurate if they were not they wouldn't be in business. The one I had was a good shooter killed many pigeons and rabbits a few squirrels.

I don't doubt your Gamo is accurate. But, my 1200 Big Cat is a POS! Shoots pretty good for 3-6 shots, then randomly off by 3-4". Can be low right, low left or wherever. I am giving it to a guy I know at work who has some problems with squirrels eating his chicken feed. He has the time to miss and go back tomorrow and shoot it. I refuse to use something that I don't have confidence in. I know Woodog has the same one and it reacts the same. My next Air Rifle will be a Goldfinger (If I ever save that much $$ for an Air Rifle).Just my :crazy:

#26 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Dumb me, I already had a R9 Goldfinger when I bought the Gamo. What was I thinking? Maybe that it would be quieter than the Beeman, but it's not. It was cheap on sale at Big Five for $139.95. Tried to sell the Big Cat last weekend without a scope, which I threw away, for $50.00 and the guy brought it back yesterday. Not accurate enough for him. I put a different scope on the thing and even bought an aftermarket trigger which I have not installed because I gave up on it after the new scope didn't help. Maybe we just got bad ones. Woodog
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#27 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

The problem is you guys don't know how to shoot airguns............Just joking guys LOL . I guess that model is a pos then. The one i had was bought 5 years ago and it was a different style then the ones i see now.

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

Seriously Johnny I'm not trying to sell you something more expensive. I just don't want you to waste the money finding out what we already know.

Time waits for no one--

#29 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

Think for accuracy,you must experiment with different pellet weights especially with air rifles shooting 1000 + FPS in .177....Think Gamo tested theirs with a 5.4 gr pellet (maybe lighter) just to be able to claim 1000 FPS...if it were me,I'd shoot 8.4 or 10.2 gr and see if accuracy improves..

#30 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

I understand, I don't have my gamo anymore it was stolen if i did I could show a group. I need a new air rifle all i have is a Ben Sheridan and it makes so much noise when i pump it all the pigeons fly out of the barn. how much would a used beeman r9 be worth i know a guy that might sell one .The wood looks like it was dragged behind a truck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users