• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

I was wondering what is concidered the minimum poundage for hunting deer with a recurve bow. My dad came across one a couple years ago and I drug it out today to give it a look. It's a 50", 50 pound, Browning Cobra I. It's an American made bow and was stored without the string on it so other than some scratches from being shuffled around for years, it's in like new condition. It doesn't have a string but there was a very nice shooting glove and a backpack quiver with it as well. The shooting glove bareley had any string marks on the fingers so I son't think this bow saw much use at all. I'm sure that heavy arrows and two blade broadheads are probably in order to increase penetration but I was wondering if plastic vanes have enough give to let the arrow pass over the riser without throwing a fishtail in the arrows flight, or should I get arrows that are fletched with feathers. Any help is much appreciated.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:54 PM

That is a good bow for hunting ,Plenty of power. Your going have to use feathers unles you put on a rest . The cheap plastic ones work but will ware out . Vally had some rest that was wire I have one on my recurve and plastic vanes works. Get some 500 grn grafite arrows and that will be a great shooter. Goolden arrow can get you a fast string made up for you. On thursday they have traditional shoot out there. Do not get rid of that bow !!! .Its a keeper. :rolleyes: WHERES THE PICTURES ? :P
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Thumper. :rolleyes: Don't worry, I wont get rid of it. I always wanted a good traditional bow. Dad told me about it a couple years ago but I figured it was probably some no-name POS. When I finally got around to checking it out I was very happy to find out that it was actually a pretty good bow.......and free is a hard price to beat. I looked around on the internet and nobody had anything bad to say about the old browning cobra bows. Is Golden Arrow the shop in Oakdale? Here's a pic of the bow.Posted ImageHere's the rest that's on it. It's a thin piece of spring steel covered with felt.Posted Image
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

Well did you get a string for it ? some arrows.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

I called golden arrow and Valley sporting goods today but niether of them had a string in stock. :signbummer8tl:

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

PM sent.Buddy can make them.

#7 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

Glad Thumper sent you a PM because any good archery shop should be able to make custom strings for any bow. There's a shop down here in Lakeside, called the "Bow-n-Arrow Shop" (not kidding) that will make any string you want. I used to go there when I shot alot but since the shoulder has gone, I've switched back to a crossbow or guns. Let me know if you don't get a string made and I'll PM you with the owners name and phone number.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't see the posts in time. I went to a local shop after work today and got one. I need alot more practice before I try to use it on a deer but it is way more fun than shooting the compound bow. I'm getting the feeling that eventually I might make this bow a fishing rig, spend some money on a good stick, and start hunting with only traditional equipment. I'll just have to wait and see how my instinctive shooting skills progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users