3 replies to this topic

#1 nate

nate

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to my gear. Weight and utility are the two biggest factors in anything I purchase. I don't want to have to carry around dog poop tons of gear when I'm hiking, whether for fun or to scout an area out for possible hunting. Just what I'll need to pass some time, or just to survive.I've been considering getting a fishing rod lately. Durability and weight are my two biggest concerns. So I've been pondering, and probably will, get an Emmrod fishing pole. Small, breaks down easily and can be used in just about any situation. The thing is, I don't know a damn thing about reels anymore. I want something very compact and can at least handle up to a 16 pound fish.Any ideas?

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

I use a Sage 9' for 6 weight line and either a CFO III or a Marryat 5/6 reel. I carry spare spools with full float, sink tip and full sink lines. For steelhead I have an older CFO 9'3", 7 weight and I either use a Marryat large arbor reel or a Hardy Marquis System 7 reel with either a sink tip or full floating line. I also have an Orvis Trout model rod in 5 weight and another Orvis Power Matrix rod in 4 weight that I use strictly for fishing dry. I either use the CFO III or a newer Scientific Anglers System reel with a 4 weight full floating line with these rods. Usually when I go fishing I know what I'm going to be doing so I only carry what I need. If I'm on a trip and am going to be prospecting for places to fish I carry everything in the truck. Generally the Sage 6 weight will handle everything. The other rods are specialty items. I also have an 8 weight rod that I put together myself for salt water salmon fishing. I have a Hardy Marquis 9/10 reel I use for that. When I retired in '93 I had over 30 fly rods but with the help of Ebay I only have a few left. The reels and rods I sold were either brand new, left over inventory from my shop, or used very little. I got around $15,000 for the stuff and it's now in use in several states plus Japan, Ireland and England. I even sold a fly rod to a guy in the United Arab Emirates. Go figure.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

One of my favorite setups is a 3 piece Kenco Rod with a Shimano Symmetry reel with some 6 pound test. I have taken it to Hawaii and Costa Rica for shore fishing and the Largest fish I have caught was a Permit about 10lbs. If your river fishing you probably will want something in the 15lb test range maybe an Abu Garcia 6601 or if you want a spinning reel look at Penns. Here is a picture of the Permit I caught in Costa Rica.Posted Image

#4 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

I like Mitchell reels. Look on ebay & stuff for older ones, all metal construction.
Press Alt+F4, it's AWESOME!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users