13 replies to this topic

#1 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

i have a 870 and its new bought in march. im having problems with surface rust. i clean and oil it but it still happens. im wondering if i have a problem from factory, when u machine steel and it rust in production and dont clean or treat it, i wonder if they just sprayed over it??? it hasnt been wet and shot 2 or 3 times. do u think i need to get in refinished. i like the shotgun but i have never had a problem like this. i have had and do have other firearms and they dont have a problem. im ruger 10 22 is sitting longer in the closet then anything and no rust. the finish is that black textured type. i like it, not metal is showing that i can see but yikes!!! everytime i take it out there is rust any suggestions. thx robert :smiley-funny-post-sign:
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

Use a very stiff nylon brush(tooth brush) with a lot of oil. Brush the oil fairly hard into the rusty areas. The rust should dissapear, several attempts may be needed. On smooth surfaces, "0000" steel wool can be used with oil(not too hard).

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:21 AM

do you wipe it down everytime after you touch it? I have to keep mine oiled due to being so close to the coast.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:23 AM

Good Camo paint job.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#5 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

Good Camo paint job.

True.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

Just keep oiling it and it will stop doing that after a while. My 870 express, and my brothers as well, would rust very easily for the first year or two that we had them. A day or so after wiping them down with oil it would look like we had put them away dry. Eventually the metals porous surface sucked up enough oil that they both quit doing that. I painted mine last year but not because it was rust prone, I just wanted a camo shotgun.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 airman

airman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Get some Weapon Shield. I been using it for a year now, never a problem with any rust. Many testimonials about the stuff.

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

Get some Weapon Shield.

Tell us about it.

#9 airman

airman

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

It like a CLP, but better. They have a web site. The more you use it the easier it is to clean you guns. It lubes and cleans at the same time, and stays in place. It's the greatest stuff i ever used!

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:18 AM

thx for all the info, so im not the only 870 user who had some rust issues. i like the shotgun, the pump action is cool.. im glad i got the magnum to shoot more power lol. ill look up that oil stuff airman thx robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

Hey Robert, what the guys posted above is good info for spot rust and general "leave your gun in the safe for a couple weeks" practice. I'm not sure what kind of rust issues you're having (I can't see a pic if you posted one), but I've seen first hand what a bad metallurgy job can do to the 870. My best friend bought an 870 (reluctantly, he's a Benelli guy) and the thing went out on one outing in the sunshine, came home and it went into the safe with the rest of his guns. My 870 and another friends 870 were out at the SAME outing, and the first 870 turned BRIGHT ORANGE. The ENTIRE gun.I've seen a number of these cases come up across the forums I'm on since then. Apparently Remington knows about it, and it's rare but it's their deal and they are fixing them under warranty (sending out new guns). Just wanted to bring that to your attention.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

Sounds to me like you have an excess of corrosive salts in your skin. I keep my guns in a safe with a heating rod to drive out the humidity but I always wipe them down before putting them away. What you don't want to do is spray oil directly on the metal as the excess will seep into the wood, if you have a wood stock, and soften it.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#13 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

wow, jeff didnt know that. remington snt me addresses to repair places but i believe i have to pay up front??? my rust wasnt that bad as the whole gun but yikes. i was just thinking of buying anotheer one and forget it thx

#14 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

If it's under warranty (the shop can tell you) you won't pay anything. When I drop off a gun at the shop I write my info on a card, take a receipt matching the number. They call me when it's done, if it's warrantied, then it's free, if it's not, they tell me the costs before they do the work.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users