• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 onecoyote

onecoyote

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting, fishing, gold prospecting and rock collecting.

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

I've read some things about Red Snapper and Pacific Red Snapper. Where do Red Snappers come from?

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:45 PM

:rofl2:
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#3 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

boy that sure is a lead-in question for a lot of different sarcastic answers :smiley-funny-post-sign:
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#4 onecoyote

onecoyote

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

I'm talking about fish........So where do they come from? Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, all three? There is a reason for all this.

#5 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

Almost any red bottom fish is called Red Snapper. Yellow Eye Rockfish, Vermilion Rockfish, etc. Here's some info.http://en.wikipedia...._snapper_(fish)http://www.pacseafoo...c_rockfish.html
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#6 onecoyote

onecoyote

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

Moe, if you read it close, your artical just proved it.....NO RED SNAPPER.....in the Pacific, it's a Gulf Coast fish, But yet they sell Pacific red snapper in restaurants? No such a fish. Matter of fact they stopped commerialing red snapper in the gulf coast because they were getting fished out all in the name of money. So then they turned to the Pacifc and invented a red snapper, there ya go lol.Something I have known for years, the fishing and restaurant industry lies to the public big time. Just a couple examples besides red snapper would be scallops, sometimes stinger wings, Swordfish or broadbill can equal Mako or Thresher shark. The average person has no idea what kind of fish they are eating in restaurant . My wife and I went to a restaurant in Vages a couple years back, I had king crab and she got white seabass, they brought her halibut? But we knew the differience lol. Then they told her they were out of white seabass.

#7 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

All the True Red Snapper that I have caught were caught in the Atlantic via Flordia and the Gulf Coast even caught a few down in Cuba off the ship that is in GITMO Bay. Good eats. The red fish here are Rock Fish.

#8 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

Any red rockfish, Yelloweye, Vermillion, Canary, etc, is called red snapper here in the west. I have a chart we keep on the boat showing all of the Pacific rockfish and there's no red snapper or Pacific snapper on the list. The Yelloweye has been seriously over fished and it's illegal to retain them if they're caught. A while back we stopped at a place where we buy oysters near Tillamook and they were selling fresh red snapper. I asked to see what they'd caught and they had a big bin of Yelloweyes. I said they were caught illegally and they insisted, along with a customer, that they were red snapper. So much ignorance.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users