11 replies to this topic

#1 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

:signs1111cr: got my new remington 11-87 saturday, i ordered an xx-full turkey choke with it ,but from what i have been hearin i cannot shoot #4 oo buck through it. the choke is made by pro-factor it is a ported choke.Attached File  th_mynewshotgun003.jpg   3.69KB   70 downloads :roflmao3[1]: :yikes[1]: i now have to come up with a shotshell i can shoot through the xx-full ported choke.any suggestions?i can shoot up to 3 1/2" mag but i dont know enough about shotguns to even try to figure it out.it patterned good @ 40 yds. with 3" turkey nitro loads but my friend shot a yote with this exact load @ 30 yds. and rolled it but it got up and ran off. i dont have the funds to purchase dead coyote shells. i do have a modified choke but again i dont know enough about shotguns to determine what would be better. :roflmao3[1]:

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Try some Federal Premium 3" 1-7/8 oz of copper coated lead BB's. I ordered some from Natchez a few years ago. I started shooting these loads on geese and coyotes in the early 80's. They will kill coyotes coming and going up to 40 yards away pretty good. Turkey loads don't have big enough pellets to get the penetration needed to kill coyotes when the shot presentations are not perfect.

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:55 AM

I'm curious. Why can't you use #4 buck with that choke? Is it the fear of Bulging the barrel? If so, I wonder if all chokes of the same size (restriction like .650, .660) are unsafe while using #4 buck. It's all very confusing to me. I have two shotguns, one with a Tight Turkey Choke from R&D and I have no idea if it has a disclaimer about using #4 Buck. The other is a Beretta with the Factory Full choke. As far as I know, I can use anything through that choke (Except for maybe Steel shot).This is the first I have heard of chokes limiting shot size (the limits I have seen say No Steel).

#4 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

don't know the why of it that is just what it says on the package the choke came in, and yes it also says no steel shot inside diameter is .680 and my primos deaddog choke tube is also .680 makes no sense to me but it is the manufacturers guidelines better to be safe than sorry i say. :pirashoot:

#5 Beretta

Beretta

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and camping. <br />NRA lifetime member, Ducks<br />Unlimited member and 8 year <br />member of the River Ranch Hunt Club.

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

This is an old picture from a couple of years back which shows my Remington 11-87. It is a great bird gun thatuses 2 3/4, 3" and 3 1/2" shells. The only draw back of thegun that I have noticed is that it has a hard time cycling 2 3/4shells sometimes. Ordered mine in mossy oak 5 years agoand around the handle and stock the camo is wearing off.Did great taking out this fox though. Inspite of those smallissues I do think you will enjoy your gun.Attached File  FH000003.jpg   31.92KB   66 downloads

#6 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:27 AM

don't know the why of it that is just what it says on the package the choke came in, and yes it also says no steel shot inside diameter is .680 and my primos deaddog choke tube is also .680 makes no sense to me but it is the manufacturers guidelines better to be safe than sorry i say. B)

I am betting that the XXfull turkey choke would be perect for copper plated and buffered BB shot. The only concern about shooting larger shot through it would be the possibility of splitting the tube. I shoot #4 BUCK and Hevi-shot T's thru a Kicks Industries .680 with good results. I do this even though most choke tube makers advise against shooting Hevi-shot through their tubes of tight constriction. Posted Image

#7 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hey Frank; Sweet 11-87. I haven't hunted with any of my shotguns so I won't be of much help on this subject.

#8 1895

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

Hello allI have some experience with shotgun hunting and shotgun chokes and patterning issues so i will give you my advice. Modified and full chokes are the most constrictive chokes you would want to use with any large caliber buckshot. #0000 buckshot 0.38" diameter and 85 grains. 0000# is a classic short range defebsive load. I would advise you look into less constrictive chokes llike Improved through skeet. Talk with some long range waterfowlers that have some shotgun experience. Extra full chokes or turkey chokes are very constrictive. It is not recommmened to shoot large for caliber buckshot in chokes of this type because of shot deformation, pressure spikes. Deformed shot will have erritic patterns. I would advise you pattern test with #B perhaps #F. Done correctly with a less constrictive choke 40- 50 yard patterns. Perhaps Hevi-shot # T and less constrictive choke. Best wishes.

#9 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------No. BB (.18 caliber)BBB (.19 caliber)T (.20 caliber)No. 4 Buck (.24 caliber)As you can see in above chart, #4 BUCK is .24 caliber, not .38. All shotguns are different, but my own test have shown X-full or XX full chokes pattern #4 the best.

#10 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

Maybe a silly question but why don't you buy another choke? I shoot 4 buck through my Dead Coyote choke with good results. I have a Winchester SuperX2. With older guns with barrels made for lead shot it was recommended that you not shoot buckshot through a full choke. Usually the worse thing that would happen is you'd blow the choke out after shooting it enough. Modern firearms made for steel shot and screw in chokes handle the larger shot a little better but you still don't want to shoot T size shot through anything tighter than a modified unless you have a choke designed to do the job like the Dead Coyote choke. Lead 2's or BB's are also great for killing coyotes but are overlooked these days. I saw a few boxes of 3 1/2" 1 7/8 oz 2's and BB's at the Sportsman's Warehouse store in Salem a couple of years ago but when I went back they were gone and they never got any more in but I know they're made and available somewhere. Probably bought by goose hunters shooting them illegally.

#11 1895

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yes, Correct #4 Buckshot is 0.24 inch diameter. # 4 buckshot through #0000 @ 0.38 inch diameter is diameters of shot that is suitable for use with big game application. Less constristive choke diameters are required for use with # 4 buckshot through 0000 Buck, for reasons stated. Sizes # B through F are essentially used for long range waterfowling needs, turkey and varmints. Some will perfer # B through F for self-defense. Miltary has done spent a ;ot of tax-payers money in reasurch on the subject. You are correct in pointing out the difference. Thanks.

#12 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

i did, i bought the primos Dead Dog choke. it works great with #4 buck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users