• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 hawkeye80863

hawkeye80863

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Wildcats, Reloading and going after the coyotes that tried to make a meal of my pointer.

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:32 AM

Way back when I purchased my first AR. I went with the post ban RRA CAR with A2 sites and standard stock. I purchased it because the price was right and I always wanted one. I figured it would make a handy coyote gun for close in work (at least as effective as a shotgun). Unfortunately, Colorado has a 6mm minimum for big game rifles or I'd be using it on antelope and deer as well. Shortly after buying it I started shooting non-sanctioned high power matches. As a newby I shot well. I was regularly topping guys with national match ARs as well as M1A1s and lots of Korean War era Garands. Now the dilemma. I don't want to get rid of my CAR upper but it's not quite set up the way I'd like. My goal would be to purchase a stnd 20" upper with A4 receiver and switch the hardware between the two uppers. In short I'd have the 16" with the flat top A4 capable of mounting a low profile scope and a 20" with the A2 that would place me in the stock rifle category for matches. Can this be done? Will the front site interfere with the scope on the CAR. Is the interference a condition of the mag of the scope. My preference would be either a straight 4x or a low mag 1-4. Can you use a shot gun scope on a rifle? I'm not a fan of red scopes so that eliminates them from the equation. Ok Bronco, now for your ARs. What's the current CA law allow or prohibit? I vaguely recall issues with a hand grip extending below the stock, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, the removable magazine oh and the collapsible stock? I'd appreciate your help clearing up these questions. If you happen to have a link I can pass on to my friend that would be appreciated as well. hawk
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

#32 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

This link should provide some usefull information on the legalities of building an AR in California.The rundown.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#33 hawkeye80863

hawkeye80863

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Wildcats, Reloading and going after the coyotes that tried to make a meal of my pointer.

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

Thanks, I sent this along with the others posted at the top of this forum. This should give him a little light reading.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

#34 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

OK, here are some pics but I must say that I am not too pleased with the digital camo job I did. It's more desert tan than anything but it is what it is. I never used that process before and I guess I should have practiced on something. Oh well, here is the Grendel with the digital camo and the RRA Coyote without.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#35 Remi700

Remi700

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Shooting, and Hunting.

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

Nice looking guns. :signgreatreport3kg: How long did the camo job take u to do?
Joe

#36 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

CA Desert Dog....... WOW!!!! I think the camo job is great and the RRA Coyote is a wicked looking rifle. Hey how about coming up to my house and do some camo things to one of my AR's ? Heck you even camo the scope caps!!!!! I didn't see that at first, camo must have done the trick.. :signs1180lq: Bob :signgreatreport3kg:
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#37 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

Red, what would you like different about your camo job? Some darker colors? More "digital" ?

#38 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. I guess I didn't quite grasp the concept. There should have been some darker colors mixed in but since I desert hunt, it should be OK. At least its protected with the DuraCoat. Rust will never be an issue.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users