Photo

Federal and CCI now make non-lead ammo...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:00 AM

Federal and CCI are now making GREEN non lead bullets in several offerings.Federal Cartridge Company and CCI have introduced a new bullet design for varmint hunting: the TNT Green.The TNT Green ammunition uses a totally lead free bullet that “couples explosive expansion with match-grade accuracy.” The ammunition uses non-toxic technology and appears to be a direct competitor for Barnes Bullets’ Varmint Grenade.Attached File  TNT_Green_Table.jpg   22.45KB   65 downloadsFederal and CCI state the ammunition should be on the shelves by spring 2008. Initially, the TNT Green ammo will be loaded for .222, .223, 22-250, and .22 WMR.TNT® Green: A non-lead option for varmint hunters that's built to break apart for explosive disruption on varmints and predators. Take me to product detail: P222D, P223R, P22250D.222 Rem. (5.56x43mm) Speer TNT Greenhttp://www.federalpr...fle.aspx?id=774223 Rem. (5.56x45mm) Speer TNT Greenhttp://www.federalpr...fle.aspx?id=77322-250 Rem. Speer TNT Greenhttp://www.federalpr...fle.aspx?id=775

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hopefully Speer will offer them as components for reloaders after they catch up with production quotas for CCI and Federal.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

Yes, we need reloading components.

#4 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

ask and ye shall receive http://www.midwayusa.../...&t=11082005
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

ask and ye shall receive http://www.midwayusa.../...&t=11082005

I don't see where they say these are Non-Lead.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#6 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

I don't see where they say these are Non-Lead.

There not or they would say Green non Lead

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

In the description it says soft lead core??? Not non lead.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

I have a feeling that the 22 mag will have a come back do to the non lead ammo out for it and the condor range lead ban.

#9 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:34 AM

oops

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

I sent an email to Speer asking about the bullets because they don't list them on their website. Hopefully they'll get back to me soon and we'll know more about the bullets themselves and where we can purchase them from.

Time waits for no one--

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

I have a feeling that the 22 mag will have a come back do to the non lead ammo out for it and the condor range lead ban.

I sure hope so. The .22 wmr is the Rodney Dangerfield of the shooting world, it just don't get no respect. The first rifle I bought when I turned 18 was a 22 mag and I've loved that cartridge ever scince. It shares the same problem that the 5mm rem had. For the most part, the rifles that it is chambered for don't show the cartridges true accuracy potential. A 22 mag with a nice tight chamber like a VQ will shoot groups right alongside a .17hmr and it has way more downrange thump should you decide to use it on larger varmints.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:52 PM

Since I was spreading erroneous information earlier I called Speer today. The customer service rep said 3rd week in August before the bullets would be available in stores for reloaders.

#13 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

I sure hope so. The .22 wmr is the Rodney Dangerfield of the shooting world, it just don't get no respect. The first rifle I bought when I turned 18 was a 22 mag and I've loved that cartridge ever scince. It shares the same problem that the 5mm rem had. For the most part, the rifles that it is chambered for don't show the cartridges true accuracy potential. A 22 mag with a nice tight chamber like a VQ will shoot groups right alongside a .17hmr and it has way more downrange thump should you decide to use it on larger varmints.

Yep, I am looking forward to these bullets coming out. I hope my 10/22Mag likes them. I'm swapping out the 17hmr barrel for the 22mag Green Mountain barrel. It shot lights out when I was using lead ammo, we will see if it likes these green ones.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#14 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

I guess I'll need to buy a .22mag to replace my beloved Savage .17HMR. Does anyone know if any company is planning on making lead free .17HMR?

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

I heard federal and CCI are both working on it, but last I heard they didn't have testing done. From what I understand 22mag is designed like a centerfire cartridge where the 22lr and 17hmr are rimfire design.

#16 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:15 PM

This is what I sent and there replySo when can I purchase the new TNT Green 224 bullets you are making forFederal?http://www.federalpr...fle.aspx?id=773223 Rem. (5.56x45mm) Speer TNT GreenThanks for your inquiry.Unfortunately I do not have much information to share... we have not received any information as to when, or if, these bullets will be made available as components for reloaders. Linda Linda OlinCCI/Speer Technical Services2299 Snake River Ave.Lewiston, ID 83501 :signgreatreport3kg:

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,297 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

I see you guys got answers I've been knocked off the Internet all today. Glad you heard back from them.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users