• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

We've been over run with skunks it seems lately. We went for a walk the other night and in our neighborhood we counted eleven skunks mostly young ones. Unfortunately three of those were in my yard around my chicken house. So today I picked up another live trap to set and decided it was time to reduce the population. At least around my place for the moment. Anyway I was just coming up to the house from mowing the back lawn when I spotted a baby skunk nosing around one of the traps I set out. I watched him for a few minutes when out of the bushes pops its twin. I hightailed it around the house to grab my air rifle because I knew I'd only catch one and the other would escape. I quietly came around the back of the house and they were gone. Darn, how could they have escaped so fast? Oops they hadn't they were right around the corner from me and coming fast. Apparently I was between them and wherever they had to be at that moment. I barely had time to shoulder my gun and shoot the lead skunk. It dropped like a rock and the second one froze for just a second long enough for me to flick the cocking lever with my finger and shoot the other one. And then it hit me! :roflmao3[1]: I had made a reverse heart shot on the first one shooting it through the chest and out its little but very potent stinky gland. I didn't know little ones could pack that kind of punch. I had the wife take a picture of them while I went to get a garbage bag to get rid of them. I looked at the picture and said why didn't you get closer? She said it was too hard taking the picture while holding her nose. She said if I want a better picture I have to hold them up. :harhar1[1]: I said it's not such a bad picture after all.Here are the little stinkers.Posted Image

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

Next time get a skin for me :roflmao3[1]:

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

I can still send you one if you want Tim? :roflmao3[1]:

#4 Spirit of 76

Spirit of 76

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote and Bobcat hunting. Also interested in Upland Gamebird & Deer Hunting.

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:21 AM

I want an air rifle like that. What did you use?

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:16 AM

We are overrun with raccoons and skunks. I use 22 CBs on em most of the time. What pellet did you use?Brant

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:54 AM

Skunk stories are always funny. The little buggers will charge quicker than a razorback! My brother has been in some gnarley skunk scrapes.

#7 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:21 AM

If you run out I'll ge glad to send you a dozen or two

#8 Robs223

Robs223

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

I've been sprayed by those little buggers I dont know how many times, but good for you!

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:40 PM

What pellet did you use?

Brant I use JSB Exact pellets. They are a domed pellet and are extremely well made and fly very straight. As you know with all guns they usually like something different for ammo. But I've found JSB's to be extremely accurate in my airguns. I shot some test groups today and even though they were only 40 yard groups they were bug holes. Even my wife was able to shoot clover leafs with the group she shot and she had never fired the gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users