• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

I am looking for an air rifle $200 or less in 22 caliber. I already have a RWS 52 in 177 (the gun is very heavy) and a Sheridan Blue Streak in .20 and a Sheridan pistol in 177. It must be light in weight and be able to mount a scope already have the scope). Accuracy is important (not a Drodz). What do you guys recommend? Leaning towards a Beeman 1064.... Needs to be lighter than my RWS...Brant

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

Ok - I see Beeman has the good line (German) and the consumer line (Chinese). I suppose the Chinese line is junk. It appears I need to double my budget.... Then which rifle is best (22)?

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

They do make a Beeman R9 Goldfinger in .22 cal. I have both a .177 and .20 cal in that gun and would really recommend the .20 cal. The reason is you get the benefit of the higher speed and the increased weigh of the .20 cal. The .22 cal springers work fine but there is more arch to the pellets flight. The .20 cal has the best of both worlds. I like the R9 Goldfingers because they come with a great scope in 4-12 power, they have a professional fully adjustable trigger and the gun will last a couple of lifetimes. I like a .22 cal in a PCP air rifle but you have much greater power there. I hope that helps.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:42 PM

I like the R9 Goldfinger w/ scope. I just looked at one at my local gun store and it is very nice. I did look at the new Benjamin Discovery PCP or CO2 but since it is brand new not much is known about it... The Beeman is definitely a higher quality looking gun.http://www.pyramydai...uel-rifle.shtmlThanks,Brant

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

VarmintAir who is a member here has two Benjamin Discoveries in both .177 and .22. He likes the gun but said it is definitely a field gun and not for backyard use. I did post a company that manufactures a shroud for the Discovery starting at $55. Not a bad price to quiet the beast! The Goldfinger's are much cheaper at StraightShooters.com too.

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:24 AM

I don't need more noise (they just legalized suppressors here in Missouri). Straightshooters has some great prices - Thanks!.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

They call them shrouds as a suppressor could be terms illegal.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

They call them shrouds as they are affixed to the barrel.

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

I just picked up a Goldfinger in .22 at my local gun shop/Beeman distributer and it is really nice. It was a little more ($20) than straightshooters but I like the local support. I just finished shooting it on my 20 yd range in the basement and it cuts a fat hole with Kodiak extra heavy pellets and seems to pack a real punch. I see some folks mention a break-in number of shots but this thing seems tuned in right out of the box. I also see in the reviews some folks mentioning some initial maintenance (cleaning , etc) after break-in shooting. Do you recommend anything? I shot it outside in the backyard at 40 yds at my deer salt block a couple of times where it will be used the most and it is amazingly accurate (like the RWS 52). BrantP.S.Missouri: Governor Blunt to Sign Important Pro-Gun Bill! Wednesday, June 25, 2008 Please Make Plans to Attend!Tomorrow, June 26, Governor Matt Blunt will sign House Bill 2034 at two signing ceremonies. Enactment of HB2034 will make sweeping positive change to various areas of Missouri's firearms statutes, including: Enhanced protections for shooting ranges and hunting preserves; Liability protection for landowners who allow public hunting access; Makes it unlawful for a licensee to refuse to transfer a firearm by denying a sale to a person otherwise not prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law; Eliminating the six-month residency requirement in order to apply for a license to carry a concealable firearm; sealing "permit to acquire" concealable firearms purchase records; Allowing for the lawful manufacture, purchase and possession of firearm suppressors; Makes necessary revisions to state law regarding the definition of explosives and the possession of firearms by prohibited persons.

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:19 AM

I'll chronograh it this evening but I bet the ME is pretty close to the 22 CBs I shoot from my Marlin but a lot more accurate.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:46 AM

Glad to hear you got the R9. I knew you would like it. Until you shoot one it's hard to describe. As for cleaning I use an Otis pull through kit. The factory puts extra oil on them when they are new it seems. Just don't buy the felt pellets to clean with by shooting them out. Always make sure you have a pellet in it when shooting to protect the gun. The .22 may be a little different in the seeming break in period. .22's shoot a bit slower and there may not be as much oil in your gun and hence no dieseling or crack when it's shot. Just have fun shooting it they are very very accurate which makes them even more fun to shoot. :censored[1]:

#12 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

I didn't realize they don't sell the 22 cal in the std R9. The Kodiaks are 21.1 grs so it should be a little slower but it sure seems fast at 40 yds. In shooting at the salt block every pellet mark is on top of the other (it creates about a 1/2" little crater). The chronograph results will be interesting.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:45 AM

Can't wait to hear how it does. I know they are shooters I have two. :)

#14 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:48 AM

I rolled a chipmunk a while ago near the tree line and is was like an off switch.

#15 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:16 AM

Cheek shot at about 40 yds. Attached File  1.jpg   32.75KB   12 downloads

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Good shooting that isn't a big target so you know you're all set now. :)

#17 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

I bought a R9 Gold Finger in .20cal (thanks again SJ). I have never been so happy with a purchase or a pellet gun. I have made some incredible shots with it. My Father in law shot mine and bought one the same day. He said he has never owned any gun like it. The break in is true, right out of the box I was nailing everything and pulling great groups. I have about 1K shots through it and the groups are getting tighter and tighter. Great buy and I hope you enjoy your new toy.. Bad thing is after awhile their seems to be less target around. :)

#18 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

I added a squirrel to the pot too. It didn't move 6" when it was hit. It was also around 40 yds and the pellet hit right where I aimed. My RWS 52 is very accurate but between the heavy weight and the nasty trigger pull the Beeman is just better for actually hitting things when your not on a benchrest.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

That's what I think helps to make the R9 so accurate is their great triggers. I've used many other airguns trying other peoples guns. The first thing they ask upon trying mine is how did you get the trigger so nice. It doesn't hurt to have a great barrel on an airgun too and well, these things are just dead nuts accurate! :)

#20 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

Another observation after 100 pellets or so. Although both my RWS 52 (side-cocking) and Beeman are mainspring guns, the RWS is louder. Not sure why.Brant

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

The R9's are remarkably quiet in every caliber. I think it's better made parts. They are addicting to shoot aren't they? It's great fun to just plink with them. You'll have to get and try some JSB Exact pellets. The Jumbo Express are a great shooting pellet. But then trying different pellets is half of the fun.

#22 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

I just I thought I would report a big negative on the Beeman R9 22 cal. (not really). My backyard has become a real killing field (and trees) with the new gun and my son used a JSB Predator pellet (ballistic tip) to add a garbage raiding raccoon to the list of victims. He was shot from about 20 ft in the head. He kicked for quit a while on his back but didn't go more than 20 ft he said. The faster Predator pellets slightly outgroup the Beeman Kodiak extra heavies on our basement BR range of 20 yds but both are very good. You hear a louder wallop with the Kodiak pellets on squirrels and chipmunks. Excellent small varmint rifle.Brant

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

Glad to hear you enjoy shooting it and it's working so well for you. Why didn't they have these when I was a kid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users