33 replies to this topic

#1 Noob Goldberg

Noob Goldberg

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:12 PM

Greetings folks. Tomorrow I am buying my first varmint gun and looking forward to getting out there with my condor-friendly slugs. I am looking for recommendations on scopes you like. Here are my criteria:+ I will probably be hunting primarily in Monterey, San Benito or nearby counties--hills, grass, scrub oak, some trees, most open areas will have buildings and people. I'd be interested in hearing from others active in this area, but I assume that most shots won't exceed 150-200 yards. Are most dogs in this area pretty savvy? (The ones I've seen in the last month were in my backyard or running across the road.) I assume this means I don't need higher power (2X8? 3X9? Higher?), and that I should be sure to get a wide aperture (40? 50? More?). I haven't considered dots but might be talked into them.+ I don't want the scope to keep me out of the woods in low light. All the threads about night hunting sound fun!+ I'd rather not pay more than necessary. Any good brands known for value? One shop's telling me that I only need to throw $100-150 on top, which sounds great, but I'm being recommended a number twice that elsewhere.So what do you think? Any scopes coming to mind?For those interested, I've settled on a .243 with a medium contour barrel so I carry it around for the occasional pig. Thanks for your help!Noob

#2 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes. I'm using a VX II and its 3-9 power. at 200yds 9x is ok but I'm actually looking for something more powerful. The one I want is either the VXIII 4.5-14 50mm or the 6-20. Probably gonna get the 6-20 as I want to be able to shoot squirrels out at 2-300yds. For pigs out to 200yds 9x is more than enuf.Can't go wrong with Leupold for 3-9 you're looking at about $300.00
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#3 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

I love my Nikon. Great price and it came with sunshade. Mine is a 6-18x40. I think that is over-kill, if I had to do it again I would have bought the 3-9. 40 is good but bigger is better, my tikka came with rings so I got the 40, anything larger would have required new, higher rings. I did not want to spend the extra $60 on rings so I stayed with 40.Nikon is great stuff, check it out.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,312 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

The gun I used to shoot coyotes with is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .243 and I us a 2.5-8 power Leupold on it. It has plenty of power and makes picking up the animals very easy.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

I would suggest nothing bigger than 3-9X40. I always start with my scope on the lowest power. It's frustrating to try to get on a moving target at close range with the scope set at a high power. On the longer shots you usually have time to crank the power up if needed.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:32 PM

The 2.5x8 & 3x9 cannot be beat for dogs. However, John & I bought our 2.5x8 back b4 the wheel was invented and are now considerably more expensive than a 3x9...I love Nikon & my dozens of Leupolds over the decades, but for the same money you can have a superior (42mil?) 3x9 ZEISS, Conquest, ZPlex (duplex) scope... If we were at the range or in the field you would SEE the difference. Exceptional eye relief, light gathering, field of view, cross hairs etc.OH, and do NOT go by clarity... a built in trap for sure & a mistake by many first time buyers. Even cheap scopes are clear... It's about resolution in other words.Finally, many brands of scopes & powers will serve you well... As long as it's a ZEISS :smiley_green_with_envy: Frank

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

p.s. And :signlol2iu: to the CPC & the greatest sport on earth... Predator hunting :smiley_green_with_envy:

#8 FEMUN

FEMUN

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:15 PM

I'm glad I checked here first before buying A Buckmaster 3x9x40. It seems from this thread that anything over 3x9 is overkill for varmint/predator hunting with .223 or am I wrong. Should I go with A higher power scope? Or will I do just fine with 3x9

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,312 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

What will you be using the gun more for. If you're shooting mostly coyotes then the 3-9 will be all you need. But if you're going to be shooting mostly ground squirrels and maybe a coyote now and again I'd go with a 4-12 or 4-14. If it's going to be mostly a squirrel shooter then the sky is the limit on power.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Noob Goldberg

Noob Goldberg

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

Wow everybody, thanks for the great feedback! I will do a little comparison shopping on the Leupold, Nikon and Zeiss online tonight, sticking with 2.5X8 or 3X9 as recommended. When the rig gets in the shop and everything is put together, I'll take it to the range and report back. Thanks very much for the input! The Web is great.And thanks for the warm welcome!Noob

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:58 AM

I have two of these Bushnell Brownings. One on my AR and one on my .243. I think it is plenty for yotes. It is built to the same specs as the Elite 3200. Cannot beat the quality for this price.$130 + s/h 3-9x40
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#12 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

+1 for the Nikon. I have the 6-18 on my 22-250 and 4.5-14 on my 25-06, both are Buckmaster.

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:55 AM

If this will be a dedicated coyote rifle you wont need much magnification to shoot out to 200 yards or even further. I'd suggest any scope with a top end of 12 power and lower, a front objective of 40 or smaller, and absolutley no AO scopes. I'm not a fan of big, heavy scopes that throw off the handleing characteristics of a rifle and I really hate the ones that have to be re-focused for a short or long shot. For a great scope at a decent price either a 3x9 or 4-12x40 leupold VX-I would be a good way to go, also the 3-9x40 Burris full field II with the B-Plex reticle is a favorite of mine. I have never owned a Nikon but everyone here that has one seems to really like them. If you want to stay as lightweight as possible but don't have the funds for a leupy Ultralight you could go with a weaver 2-7x32 @ 10 oz.. It only weighs 1.8 oz more than the leupold but it costs about half the price.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#14 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:43 PM

Only problem that I've noticed with the VX-I's is that the power adjustment ring is usually pretty stiff. I've been very impressed with the Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 with BDC reticle that I mounted on my predator-dedicated .243. Power adjustment ring is smooth, glass is surprisingly crisp and clear, and the price was less than $150.
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#15 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:33 AM

If I remember the name correctly, the last two Zeiss I bought were from a place called Bear Basin Outfitters in Sacramento. They are on the internet and also offer free shipping after spending approx $250(?) or more.One thing I also forgot to mention is, the reason you do not want anything higher than 3 power magnification on the low end of a (predator) scope is, it becomes very difficult, if not impossible to see the animal when they're up close & personal / almost in your lap. And it will happen, more than once if you stay it long enough.Most folks are always concerned about getting enough high end magnification, but forget about the low end; at least for predators. For varmints exclusively (praire dogs etc), then yes the sky is the limit on the high end, as John points out. Even the low end could be considerably higher for varmints only.However, if it is being used for both varmints & predators, I personally would not want anything lower than 4 1/2 on the low end, but many folks will go with 6 X. I probably muddied this up, but hope not... Let us know what you end up with & Good LuckFrank

#16 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

Answering your question could take volumes. What works for you today most likely will NOT work for you 25 years from now. If your hunting style changes you'll look for more flexibility in your scope. 25 years ago I had excellent vision, 20x15, and a 3-9x was plenty. Well, 25 years later and I really need a six or eight power to see anything. Sad but true. I need a 20x power to see things clearly at 100 yards! I've been told to look for a 30 mm tube, and something close to a 40mm objective to get you closer to your barrel. Buying a scope today is probably the best time ever to get a quality scope. If you only want to spend $150. I would consider Millett, Mueller, and maybe try ebay for used Nikon and lower end Leupolds. Bushnell makes good scopes for the money you are talking about and I love the old Redfields of 25-30 years ago and I know you can get one of those in good shape off ebay. Lots to look at out there. I would look for something in the 4-16x range, 30mm tube and 40mm objective and that should cover you for most of your hunting situations. If you're in the game 30 years from now you'll be asking the same question. Yours in sport.

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

When it comes to choosing the right glass whether a scope or binocular, buy the most expensive one you can afford. It will be cheaper for you in the long run. I've been there and done that. As for magnification, a quality fixed power scope will be an ideal for all around hunting. For versatility, a 4X16 variable is all you need.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#18 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

My two cents. When I'm hunting big game, I always hunt with either Zeiss or Kahles on my serious hunting rifles. I have found that with age (53) I need the best I can get for my eyes. However for my varmint and just having fun shooting guns I started with Leupold but then switched to BSA I now have four of them. The Platinum series in 6-24x44 with Illuminated Mil-Dot is just outstanding. I've never had any type of problem with them. Right now Natchez has them on sale for $78.00 normally $179.00. For that price I don't think you would be disappointed. in owning a couple.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#19 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

night force

#20 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:26 AM

night force

night force = $$$$$$$$$$$$For Yotes and squirrels out to 200, I'm happy with my VX-1 in 2-7X. Everything is a compromise and when you get into the field conditions change from day to day and hour to hour.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#21 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

I currently have a leatherwood hilux 6.5-24x50 ao mildot and it works great 260ish bucks. My next gun will have a Night Force

#22 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

Since most people seem to prefer variables, I'd get a vx2 3-9, set it at 4 to 6 power and leave it there. It's all the scope you need.I used to hunt with a guy that would ALWAYS turn his scope up for a shot, reason being... he could. It didn't matter if the coyote was 75 yards out, I'd see his left hand come up and crank up his scope. He missed out on a lot of shots doing that, the coyote would leave before he stopped playing around. Once he started leaving his scope set on a sensible setting and concentrated more on getting a shot off he started connecting a lot more.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#23 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

If you want a great scope for a reasonable price check out Burris Fullfield II, I have 3, 4.5-14x42's and 2, 3-9x40's . The B-plex reticle really works for long range shooting. Great scopes for the money.,,,300wsm

#24 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

You know what they say about opinions but I'll give mine, anyway. Leupold 3x9 is all I used for a lot of years but since getting a little older my vision isn't what it once was. I've bought 4 new scopes in the last 1 1/2 years and I noticed that the Leupold VXI and VXII 4X12's have the same fov so I've bought those instead of the 3x9's. When I'm calling daytime I always have the scope turned to the lowest power.
George Soros says we have the best Congress and Administration money can buy.

#25 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

Moe is right on. Lowest power while hunting, but it is there if you need it for a long shot. I have the Vari-X II 4-12 on mine.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#26 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

I have a Redfield 3to9 like most of the old timers we use the lower power untill we need more much larger field of view that way
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#27 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Bernie, is that Redfield the wide angle one? I had just purchased one for my Remington Model 700 ADL (which I bought in 1965) in, I believe, 1979. Stopped hunting for a variety of reasons. Then, in 1988 it was stolen in a burglery, along with my WWII vintage 1911 and my 1965 version S&W M&P. That wide angle version was a great scope.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#28 sendin

sendin

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

After doing some reading on Mueller I REALLY want to try one. I've got some rifles that really need scopes and the reviews and prices on Muellers seems pretty good.Mueller OpticsDenny
Molon labe!

#29 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

I have three of them. I have one on Point Blanks Weather Warrior I think it's 4.5x14. don't have it in front of me at the moment. It is an AO scope. I don't understand why some don't like the AO feature. You don't have to change the focus all of the time. You change the focus when you need to. Try changing the focus on an animal when it is close-up and you don't have an AO scope. Not necessarily what I do with yotes, but it is nice for jacks.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#30 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

one more vote for the leupold vxII, 3-9x40 or 4-12x40, especially with a fine duplex. They deliver plenty of light for dawn/dusk shots, generous eye relief and pretty solid. I've got 2 of each and happy with all 4. The Nikon 6-18x40 buckmasters are fine for squeeks with plenty of daylight but very big & not wonderful in very low light, plus the damn reticle is so coarse on the BDC. I've also got two of these.I don't know much about other brands, besides Burris. If you look into burris, stick with the signature select - their very nice. Once upon a time I topped my first rifle with a bushnell baner 4-12x40. It seemed fine, until I went coyote calling one evening. Around last light, my scope blacked out. No matter how I strained or cocked my head, I couldn't see through the scope. It just didn't gather enough light. When we got back to the truck after dark, my buddy let me peep through his leupold vxII 3-9x40, and I could still see easily through the scope. On our next hunt, the banner was replaced by a VXII....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users