10 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

I am going to have to get my benelli set up for the communist occupation of CA on July 1. (aka- lead ban) I bought a Primos dead dog choke but that did not fit. (said it was for benelli/berreta but threads were wrong, think I need one for benelli crio?) So, what I am thinking is Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote ammo. Is that what everyone else will be using after July? I was thinking of going with a Carlson dead coyote choke. They aren't too pricey, $35. What about the ported ones, like pattern master? ($95) I know there are lots of small companies that make chokes, see them advertising in the predator mags, etc. Are the ported ones worth the extra cash or is the carlson's my best bet? Also, 3.5 inch on the Hevi-shot or 3 inch? I assumed 3.5 inch would be better but I think I read some place where 3 inch were getting better patterns?Benelli Super Black Eagle II, 28 inch.

#2 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

I'm no expert, but I have done a bunch of research on here and other boards.1. Carlson's Dead Coyote choke is the most recommended for Yotes. But, R&D is sending me a "similar" choke of the same restriction cause that's what they stock.2. Hevi-shot dead coyote is pretty much the ONLY choice as far as Non-lead shotgun rounds. You can use Steel but it's not recommended.3. T-shot is going to be pellet of choice due to the number of pellets.4. Lastly, I think most people will say go try both 3" and 3 1/2" and see which patterns better in your shotgun. I think you will get more nods for the 3 1/2 due to more pellets.Again, just what I have found through my serches and questions on the same subject.Have you priced that stuff yet? Like $3 a shell online and $3-5 per shell in-town. :drinks:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:43 AM

So, what I am thinking is Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote ammo. Is that what everyone else will be using after July? I was thinking of going with a Carlson dead coyote choke. They aren't too pricey, $35. Are the ported ones worth the extra cash or is the carlson's my best bet? Also, 3.5 inch on the Hevi-shot or 3 inch? I assumed 3.5 inch would be better but I think I read some place where 3 inch were getting better patterns?

I have Carlson DC chokes on my Mossberg Tactical Turkey and just ordered two more for my new Stoeger Coach gun. I will probably get a Carlson for the Xtrema II also. Had one on the Stoeger M2000 before I had the barrel shortened to 20 inches. It now has a Brand-X (same as Chirs is getting) that I haven't tried yet. The Mossberg came with a vented choke that patterns about the same as the DC choke. It is a bit louder, but does seems to reduce recoil a little. Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote works well with the Carlson choke and so does Remington Wingmaster in "T" or "BB", but it is even more expensive than Hevi-Shot. I've shot both 3 and 3-1/2 inch in both shells and didn't notice a lot of difference. Your just won't shoot enough during a typical coyote hunt to make much difference to you shoulder. A lot of guys like the 3 inchers and state that you only get 3 or 4 more "T" pellets in the 3-1/2 inchers. Of course if your gun is chambered for 3 inch shells you don't have to make a decision.Woodog
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#4 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:09 AM

Thanks guys. I think I'll order a Carlson's. I wouldn't mind the ported ones but only if it really made a big impact on recoil. (SBE has a kick to it with the lead 3.5's and a full choke!) Those ported ones are almost 3x's the price of the carlson's, so unless it made a world of difference it does not seem worth it.

Have you priced that stuff yet? Like $3 a shell online and $3-5 per shell in-town.

I would have if second amendment EVER had ANYTHING in stock!!! (I hate that place) Are any of the local guys interested in buying boxes from me if I can get a good deal on a case? 3 inch or 3.5 inch? I guess it would not need to be locals but I think the shipping would make it too costly. I am planning on some road trips to hunt other areas, any place where someone wants to take me along. (I'll be going alone since I have more time than most, but don't really want to hunt new areas alone) So maybe I can bring some if we meet up. I'd love to go out hunting with some shotgun guys to learn a thing or two.

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:21 AM

I know what you mean as far as 2nd Amendment. I try to support them, but most of the time my business goes elsewhere.One thing of note though. They are selling OLL's now. I hadn't been in there for a while and Monday I saw them on the wall. It's funny cause back in February I went in asking about OLL's and they acted like I was some convict they had to keep an eye on. They said something like "No way those are ILLEGAL!".I'm in for some 3" T. Hook it up!
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

Remington Wingmaster HD waterfowl loads in BB's or # 2's will work great on California coyotes. The HeviShot "B" goose loads will also work very good and you may find some of them on a shelf somewhere quite a bit cheaper than the Dead Coyote loads. 3" shells are all you need to kill coyotes. At least half the coyotes I have taken over the years with my shotgun were shot with my 2-3/4" lead reloads. The Hevi-Shot and Remington Wingmaster HD shot patterns much tighter than lead and penetrates much deeper than lead.Posted ImageThis pattern is a 3" load of Rem Wingmaster HD #2's. When I shot these HD 2's into a catalog and my old favorite Fed Premium lead copper coated 3" BB's into the same catalog the Rem HD 2's out penetrated the lead BB's by quite a bit at 40 yards.Posted ImageThis picture is my old favorite load of Federal Premium 3" 1-7/8 oz of copper coated BB's. The Remington HD 3" BB load has 1-1/2 oz of shot and has 25 less pellets in it than the Federal 1-7/8 oz load. The Rem HD load with 25 less pellets in it put more pellets in a 12" circle at 40 yards than the Fed Premium lead BB's did.Posted ImageThis picture is the Rem 3" HD BB's, I like this load better than the Dead Coyote 3" "T" load because the HD BB's has 23 more pellets in it than the Dead Coyote has.Posted ImageThis is a coyote standing at about 35 yards away.Posted ImageThis is the same coyote being hit by a load of Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz of BB's at about 35 yards.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

In my non-lead ban area...I use an H.S. Strut undertaker full choke and #4 3.5 turkey load (my turkey hunting setup). Patterns amazingly well at even 65 yards.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#8 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Remington Wingmaster HD waterfowl loads in BB's or # 2's will work great on California coyotes. The HeviShot "B" goose loads will also work very good and you may find some of them on a shelf somewhere quite a bit cheaper than the Dead Coyote loads.

Awesome report dabob. So, these "Hevi-Shot 12 Gauge 3" 1-3/8 oz of #2" should be just fine on Yotes?I like the idea of having a lot more pellets down range.

#9 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:56 PM

Hevi-Shot #2's wouldn't be my first choice but they should kill coyotes that are facing you up to 35 yards away with no problems. When I first tried copper coated lead #2's they worked fine on coyotes facing me but when the coyotes were angling away from me they didn't work very good. For the not so perfect shots the Hevi-shot "B" or the Rem HD BB's will work much better. If the shells are close to the same price as the Rem HD BB's or the Dead Coyote "T" loads I would just buy the BB's or the Dead Coyote "T". I don't shoot at coyotes with a shotgun at over 40 yards away but I do like having big enough pellets to shoot a coyote in the a$$ at 30 yards and still get enough penetration to break him down or kill him. No matter what load you use be ready to shoot coyotes 2 or 3 times if they are still moving at all.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#10 dabob

dabob

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

aquaelvis, I am sorry I got onto the shells and forgot about your choke question. I bought a Carlson's Dead Coyote choke and it patterns very tight at 40 yards with the Rem HD and the Hevi-Shot loads. I sure wouldn't want any tighter patterns than what the Dead Coyote choke gives me. The next time I go out to pattern my shotgun I am going to try a Carlson's extended "Modified" and "Light Modifed" chokes to see what they look like with the same ammo as the Carlson's Dead Coyote choke.

#11 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the great info Bob. Make sure and let us know how that extended choke patterns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users