• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

I bet you could shoot into this flock and get at least one.http://www.flixxy.co...gs-flocking.htm

#2 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

I've seen them like that when I was a kid living in the south. Imagine a flock like that hitting a farmer's freshly planted field.

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

That's a bunch o' birds. I think I'd give up before I could limit out!

#4 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:22 AM

Starlings have a bad habit of pooping while flying. They fly back and forth across the top of our house and our widows and outside walls get painted with the stuff. If I lived out in the country I'd get a little 410 and have a little fun.Funny thing........When I was 12-13 years old we lived in Milwaukie which is a suburb of Portland and I had a BB gun that I used to shoot tons of birds. I can't recall ever seeing a starling back then. Same thing when I lived in Stockton or the Bay Area. Now they're every where. I'm looking at a few of them on my back lawn right now. They really are nasty birds.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

Moe I never saw them when I was a kid either. But in the last ten years they're everywhere. I even had one with a band on it in my yard and called Fish & Game to complain as to why they were banding them not killing. He said it wasn't them it was Audubon Society and he was right. I found an old oak tree in my area that was a breeding ground for them. They had chased away the woodpeckers that made the holes and cavities in the old tree. I spent a couple of weeks off and on shooting them out of that tree. They still come back and I still get a few.

#6 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

Yeah......I found a website devoted to the "beautiful" starling a while back. It's some dippy woman who apparently has no idea of the destructive nature of the bird. I take that back.... of course she knows. She's just one of those gotta be different jerks that the world seems to be full of these days. I wish someone would post starling recipes on the web telling people about how they're a culinary delight or something. They are nothing but pollution covered with feathers. And my wife and I are bird lovers!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

You hit the nail on the head with that response Moe!

#8 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Black birds are smart i only shoot solo's knowing theres one watching and get twisted when i miss , doves are ugly pidgions and gluttens to boot they clean out my feeder floor thats my rat bait stinken dove's dissapper in NY. As for english sparrows i smack 5 a day from 50ft and don't feel bad . MY reward lot's of song birds {finch cardnail orioles and peekers,suns by the dozen. PS NO blue jays here in a year and i don't miss them but when a stray comes my way it's lead allday and as i have said in other threds i live on a grackle roost suet fools whooooooooo. 4000 rounds out of the gamo VH'er this yr already i need help with the math and have my zone covered .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users