14 replies to this topic

#1 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

The state decided to give us a 9,000 fish quota coho opener that opened last Saturday so we got the boat in and made it out. Nice of them to open the season so early when there are no cohos around. 136 boats went out at Newport and 2 fish were caught. The ocean was sloppy with mixed swells and bad wind but we toughed it out. My stepson brought his girlfriend who swore she didn't get seasick but she got seasick. Everyone gets seasick on the Oregon coast. Within 30 seconds of dropping the gear we had a fish on. Liam grabbed the rod and hauled in a nice king salmon which we had to let go. That was it for the day.I put out 3 crab pots and picked them up on the way in. We garnered 13 nice keepers and had a feast on the boat. We put the pots back with very little bait in them and picked them up yesterday morning and got another 19 keepers. Some were very large. Here's Mrs Moe with a couple.Attached File  1.jpg   27.67KB   4 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   23.52KB   4 downloads

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:04 AM

To bad on the fishing but good job on the crabbing.

#3 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:32 AM

yea, too bad about the fish, but yummmmmm on the crab!

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Salmon are fun to catch but give me the crabs every time. :751: Hum that doesn't sound good but you know what I mean. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#5 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

Salmon are fun to catch but give me the crabs every time. :751:

Gotta watch that old toilet seat! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#6 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

Mmmmmmm..........crab... :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

Speaking of crabs. I remember listening to the radio a few years ago when some guy called in about how he gave his girlfriend crabs from a one night stand he had with some other gall. He actually convinced her she got them at the beach so after that she wouldn't sit on the sand anymore.Thank goodness for blonds!

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

Is that where sand crabs come from? :nice_need_pics:

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

Never ever had them but I know Blue ointment is the old tried and true elixer.

#10 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

This thread went downhill in a hurry.

#11 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

9000 quota? Man, they shut our season down completely this year.Hey, let me know when you want to swap a few crabs for some lobster :good:

#12 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

Now you ask. They will close the season about the first of August and the crab aren't all that firm right now. I would definitely love to make that trade, tho. Crabbing will still be open in the bays. The best time is winter. The crab are firm and packed solid with meat. When's the best lobster fishing?

#13 jephs422

jephs422

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

Lobster season begins in Oct ( I think). It's definitely a winter bugging season. It's open 6 moths of the year, but the best weather for bugs, is the worst for the guys fishing for them. When season opens I usually hoop after work for a few hours at least twice a week. I'll be sure to let you know when it starts. I horse trade them for all kinds of food, so I have coolers with ice packs ready to go, LOL!!! I can't sell them, but I sure can trade them for other foods.Posted Imageof course, this is what you look like when you are on the water till 4am!!

#14 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

Wow! No kidding?.........Someone tattoos you and installs earrings?? No wonder most of the guys I know come off the water before dark. :good: The best crabbing, firm crab packed with meat and good size, is in December when the season is just opening. Trouble is the ocean is usually pretty bad during that time of year so we have the boat put away. Also, this year we are putting the boat up for sale. We will still be able to crab in the bays, though, because I'm keeping my big skiff. Let me check on a couple of things.Dead crab goes bad pretty fast so anything I would ship or bring down would have to be cooked. I break all of the crab we catch before cooking it so you don't have the yellow meat thing. I know lobster can be shipped live because I've carried as many as 30 of them packed in a box with seaweed on a jet from Hartford, Conn, to Juneau, AK. (big party for my friends)

#15 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

I wanna trade!!! I've got some good homebrew that would really help wash down that crab/lobster... :drinks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users