10 replies to this topic

#1 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:28 AM

I'm pretty sure this is what I want for general plinking and small vermin removal. Noise is a concern. I currently have a Sheridan Blue Streak and looking for something a little quieter while staying in the .22 cal. I see I can have this fitted with a Air Venturi Ram Air gas spring... What is it and why would I want this option?? Will this work on a .22 cal? Is it quieter?Should I be looking at something else? While I would love to drop some serious coin on a Theoben or the like it just isn't going to happen.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

I would really recommend a Beeman R9 Gold Finger in .20 cal. They are backyard quiet and extremely accurate and made for a lifetime of use. They come with a Bushnell 4-12 power scope and have the Rekord trigger installed. It is one if not the best triggers made. It's a little more money but they are worth it. I have two one in .177 and the .20.http://www.straights...goldfinger.html

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

Ok so I still haven't moved on anything yet, but the Goldfinger is tempting. However.... What other accessories are needed for a PCP? If I'm going to spend the 5 1/2 bills on a springer I'm at the entry level for a PCP at that point. What's needed to run a PCP. All I know is a tank. I've got a good gin buzz on right now so anything is possible to show up on my door step :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

I wish it was as easy as just a tank. There are fittings and deciding if you want a 3000 PSI SCUBA tank or a carbon fiber 4500 PSI tank. Then getting them filled. The scuba tank almost any shop will fill them but you don't get as many fills from 3000 PSI as you do from a 4500 PSI tank. But if you get a Carbon Fiber tank can you find a place to fill it your choices are few and some not so good. You could always fore go the tanks and get a hand pump. They are effective but it takes some pumping. Or you can really splurge and buy a compressor to fill a tank and that's around $2900. Remember too that you get a scope on the Goldfinger you have to purchase one for the PCP you know good scopes aren't cheap.

Time waits for no one--

#5 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

I was hoping to use my nail gun compressor! :bleh[1]:

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:48 AM

I just got back in town earlier this week and pulled out my Sheridan to check the scope zero as it was off and wouldn't you know the seal broke so when I pump it, it just leaks out the barrel. So yesterday, on SJ's and Rocketman's advice I ordered a Goldfinger in .20 cal. Apparently the new models are called Double Gold and use a Beeman OEM scope and no longer a Bushnell. As I was told some vendors were buying the R9 and mounting their own scope on it and calling it a Goldfinger. Apparently, changing the name will prevent this :censored[1]: I'm still somewhat torn about not going w/ a .22 but time will tell. It should have it in my paws hopefully Monday.Thanks!

#7 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

Shooter is right. The gun is the first step. I have a hand pump because I don't target shoot with any of my guns. I go for the kill. I don't think I would want to use the hand pump if I was target shooting, but they are way more convenient for filling a tank. A few pumps in the field and away you go. It costs $30 to $40 bucks to fill the scuba tank each time. Another thing to consider. The scuba tank is almost the price of another gun.Let us know how the new purchase works out.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#8 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

II currently have a Sheridan Blue Streak and looking for something a little quieter while staying in the .22 cal. I see I can have this fitted with a Air Venturi Ram Air gas spring... What is it and why would I want this option?? Will this work on a .22 cal? Is it quieter?

I am pretty sure it has far less recoil than the springer.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#9 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:48 PM

You’re going to love that Goldfinger!! It's the best air gun I have ever shot for the price... Enjoy your toy and send us pics of the kills! PS: you may want to upgrade your cameras memory.. There will be lots of kills ;)

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

I bought the R9 Double Gold in .22 cal....model #103922DG....great airgun...came with the OEM Beeman scope and muzzle brake...

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,471 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

It costs $30 to $40 bucks to fill the scuba tank each time. Another thing to consider. The scuba tank is almost the price of another gun.

I get my 4500PSI carbon fiber tank filled for $5 at a local paintball shop. You just need to look around. Most scuba places won't fill past 3500 which is ok for a standard scuba tank. Some can be pricey and some want you to have a dive certification card. I have a cert card that's 38 years old but it's still good.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users