19 replies to this topic

#1 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

Im looking around for a new scatter gun mainly for yotes but i want to get into duck and turkey soon. i have an old 870 from the 70's but i can only put 2 3/4 non mag loads through her. and it was passed down to me from my grandfather when he passed so i want to keep it original. my price range is kinda low for now. i want to keep it at or below 600. i just looked at the remington spr 453. from what i read it seems like a nice shooter, and for the price its really atractive. has anyone ever owned or shot one? as for now i think im between this and the mossberg 930 or 935. any opinions are greatly appreciated.kevin

#2 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:11 AM

Take a look at the Stoeger M2000 also. You can get them with 24 to 28 inch barrels.SteveH
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#3 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:29 PM

thanks alot steve. i checked it out and it has been added to the list. i also looked at the supernova. have you or anyone heard good things about that?

#4 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

I heard nothing but good things about the supernovas before I got my super black eagle II. I almost went for one but really wanted a semiauto. Make sure you check gunbroker.net for deals. I got a nice deal on my SBE II. I think SuperNovas were under $400 when I was looking. Also, GB.net is/will be offering a $20 rebate for first-time gun buyers on their site. (PM me if you can't find the info, i have an email from them w/ info, dates, ets)

#5 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

If I was buying one shotgun to do it all in your price range, I would look really hard at the Remington 11-87. It is Semi-auto and can accept 2 3/4" as well as 3". It is $593 from Buds 11-87My brother-in-law has one and he swears by it.If you are going to stick with a pump, and again this is going to be used for ducks, turkeys, yotes and maybe upland game, I would look at the Remington 870 Super-mag. They are very reasonably priced and super reliable.Personally I prefer semi's but I am going to give my modded mossberg 590 a try this season.Good luck in your search.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#6 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

Can't go wrong with the 870. My wife has a Mossberg 835 Ultimag. That's what I used to kill my turkey.

#7 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

The SPR 453 is a nice shooter. I tried one for a day out in AZ on dove. It worked flawlessly all day. I do however think it may not hold up as well in predator hunting due to the environment. I abuse my shotguns, so I want something that will take a lickin and keep on tickin. I shoot a Benelli Nova most of the time and have nothing but good things to say about any shotgun Benelli makes, other than the original SBE. The Supernova would be an excellent choice if you don't mind the pump.There are plenty of good deals to be had on scatterguns for 600 bucks or less. Just think about what you really want in a gun, and make a decision based on that.

#8 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

thanks for all the feedback guys..

#9 socal shooter

socal shooter

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

i found this mossberg 935 on gunbrokers for 500.. what do you guys think? http://gunbroker.com...?Item=102705580

#10 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:41 PM

That would be hard to beat for the money. My brother shoots one and likes it. You just can't use low base shells when out plinking or bird hunting, as they won't cycle consistently most of the time.

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:17 AM

I've heard good things about the 935. I read one article a while back and their test gun actually did cycle the cheap bulk packed low base ammo, which is surprizing for a 3.5 inch auto.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

Personally, I find it interesting that you would use a semi-auto and not a pump. With a pump you don't have the worry about whether or not the shell will cycle. And you can shoot it just as fast. JMO
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Personally, I find it interesting that you would use a semi-auto and not a pump. With a pump you don't have the worry about whether or not the shell will cycle. And you can shoot it just as fast. JMO

Ditto :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#14 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

Being an avid shotgun hunter, I use the pump now, but am going to finally get my semi in the next few weeks. I like my pumps, they are great and have nothing but positive feedback when it comes to cycling the rounds. I have just been in a few too many situations, where the pump was a disadvantage when calling in multiples. Sometimes I forget I'm shooting a pump and pull the trigger expecting for buckshot to fly. I have lost 1 coyote last season after I rolled him up at 40 yards. I let him sit for nearly 2 minutes and when I moved to collect him, he got up and ran off, never to be found. I was so excited at the speed he came in I never pumped the action for the secondary. I went to shoot, and nothing was there. I learned a good lesson that day. Always shoot them twice with the scattergun when they are 30 yards or more.Another advantage to an auto loader is the reduced recoil compared to the pumps. It's not a save all, but it is worth a mention.

#15 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

I don't want to sound rank or anything, but if you can't remember if you racked a round in or not, I don't think I want to be hunting with you. Everyone should, at all times, know if they have a round in the chamber or not. With a semi, it is instantly there, and if you can't remember to rack one in with a pump, you surely won't remember there is instantly one there with a semi. Hence you shoud NOT be using one. JMO
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#16 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

Braz, I hunt 3 or 4 days a week most of the time. I shoot more than anyone I know. I know that the gun needs to be racked, but when I hunt I hunt in as much silence as possible, therefore, I never rack the pump unless needed. I'm not sure why you feel that way about someone not racking a round in. Hell, I would welcome that as long as the barrel isn't pointed in my direction. It just means I get to shoot clean up. And I do know AT ALL TIMES, when I have a round in the chamber. In the heat of the moment while trying to turn a predators lights out from 40 yards or less, it's remembering to be quite for the secondaries. I usually don't pump my action until I see another target (it has a way of stopping them in thier tracks) or need to put number 2 into the first customer. I remain still, motionless, and silent until another opportunity arises. With an auto, you don't have to worry about the action cycling or the noise involved with it. It is an "automatic". Like I said before, I stood on stand for nearly 2 minutes before I went to collect him. When I walked towards him he bolted and I had to take the shotgun from my side, rack it, and fire. By then, he was out of dodge. So for any of you that worry about an un racked shotgun, you shouldn't. I am more worried about the guys I take out and put a dog in thier lap only to see them get over excited with a loaded shotgun. But that's just me. Everyone is entitled to thier opinion.

#17 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

I don't mind shooting pumps at dove, quail, trap and skeet. But for shooting predators, waterfowl, sporting clays and 5-stand I will pick a semi-auto over a pump every time. While hunting predators and waterfowl I am not always in a perfect position, so it makes it harder to operate the pump. Most of the semi-autos are much more comfortable to shoot heavy loads through also.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#18 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

I guess when you said "Sometimes I forget I'm shooting a pump and pull the trigger expecting for buckshot to fly" it made me wonder. You also aaid "I was so excited at the speed he came in I never pumped the action for the secondary" that I just didn't think that you may have intentionally not racked a shell in. That was what had me concerned. I didn't mean, in any manner, to take a swipe at you, or anything like that. It was just when I read your words it had me concerned. My concern with the semi's is that a shell is automatically in the chamber. It is so easy for someone, who get excited, to forget it is there, that there is a a real safety issue. I guess you can tell I am not a fan of the semi's, be they shotguns or rifles. Just not necessary. Again, my opinion.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#19 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

No worries Braz, I figured you didn't mean to attack me. The stand was fast paced. I shot him at 40 yards and I believed him to be DRT. So, I never pumped my action as I scanned the rest of the field for other customers. When I walked towards him I was in amazement when he got up and hobbled off at break neck speed. Then I had my gun at my side and by the time I was able to make a secondary shot on him, he was 75 yards+ from me. I tracked him for an hour...blood all over....Never found him till a week later. The smell led me right to him. I'm not badmouthing the pumps either. I use them exclusively now, but as Bob said in his post, the auto makes it easier for multiple targets when not in a good position and a tad lighter on recoil.

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

That has happened to me a few times I then pump and target is gone everyone has a good laugh. I think once you use a semi auto shotgun Braz you would enjoy shooting it they kick less and just feel better. I still think a pump can not shoot as fast as a auto . that's a age old arguement to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users