7 replies to this topic

#1 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

I just started reloading, 7mm rem mag, 66.5 grains of IMR 4831. Is it normal for there to be space in the cartridge case. If you shake it, you can hear the powder moving. Also, how critical is bullet depth setting to consistancy?Thanks

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,673 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:39 AM

First of all are you loading a 100 gr bullet because that appears to be the powder weight for a bullet in that weight range. We need all the info to really help you. Yes, there can be space in the case with lots of loads. Bullet depth can mean everything to accuracy. But I'm a little unclear as to how you are asking the question. You must seat all of the rounds you're testing to the same depth. In other words what I'm saying is you can't have some set deeper than others when you are attempting to develop a load.

#3 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

[quote name='ShooterJohn' date='Feb 21 2006, 12:39 PM' post='7731']First of all are you loading a 100 gr bullet because that appears to be the powder weight for a bullet in that weight range. We need all the info to really help you. Yes, there can be space in the case with lots of loads. Bullet depth can mean everything to accuracy. But I'm a little unclear as to how you are asking the question. You must seat all of the rounds you're testing to the same depth. In other words what I'm saying is you can't have some set deeper than others when you are attempting to develop a load.[/quote/)I will check every thing, but im 99% postive that the manual i have calls for 66.5 gr of IMR 4831 powder for a Hornaday 154gr bullet. I'll check it all, and post again later.The bullets didn't want to seat right, some stuck, some got pushed down inthe case. Some bent the neck case.I have to get a new set of dies, and spend a few more hours at the bench i think

#4 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

First off make sure you chamfered the inside of the case mouth, not a lot, just to make sure you don't have any burrs etc.. Sounds like you also have the die set down to far and are actually over crimping your bullet. You may be actually bumping the shoulder of your case. Adjust the die hieght to crimp about a quarter of the way down the neck of the case or half way down, your choice. Then as a starter make sure your bullet seater is the right one for the bullet you are using, then also as a start, seat your bullet so the base of the bullet is even with the top of the shoulder on the case and the bottom of the case neck. That should give you a good starting point to load. Test the rounds and then adjust the seating depth forward incrementally until you achieve the most accurate round . This is usually just shy of touching the lands of the barrel, but, some guns are fussier than others concerning how much bullet jump they like or don't like for each type of load you develop. There is a lot more to it, but that should get you going...Walt

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,673 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

PAhuntunter

I will check every thing, but im 99% postive that the manual i have calls for 66.5 gr of IMR 4831 powder for a Hornaday 154gr bullet. I'll check it all, and post again later.

My Hornady reloading manual say a MAXIMUM load of IMR 4831 powder for a 154 gr. bullet is 59.1 grains. As for crushing the necks you didn't mention that the first time around and Walt gave you good info.

#6 PAhunter290

PAhunter290

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:12 AM

PAhuntunter My Hornady reloading manual say a MAXIMUM load of IMR 4831 powder for a 154 gr. bullet is 59.1 grains. As for crushing the necks you didn't mention that the first time around and Walt gave you good info.

The manual I have has loads bases on the bullet and the powder. (Hornady 154gr. bullet for a 59.1gr of IMR 4831.)and (IMR powder 4831, 66.5gr for a 150gr bullet...doesn't list the 154, guess I jumped the gun.) I only crushed a couple, when I was playing with the depth, trying to get the bullet at the right depth, and tightly crimped.Do you need to chamfer the case if it wasn't trimmed?Some of the bullets were in too far, and tightly crimped, some just height right and too loose.

PAhuntunter My Hornady reloading manual say a MAXIMUM load of IMR 4831 powder for a 154 gr. bullet is 59.1 grains. As for crushing the necks you didn't mention that the first time around and Walt gave you good info.

Thanks for all everbodies help. My uncle has reloaded for a long time, if I can catch him when he's not on the farm or at work, I'll ask him to help me in person to get it straight.Thanks AgainCoray

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,673 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:16 AM

A little hands on help would probably explain things faster. Just be safe. :lol:

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

That would be a great idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users