19 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

Has anyone removed one yet? Since my AR is staying in MO there is no need to keep the BB in it.

#2 Quade

Quade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Im an art major at Folsom Lake College. So I spend a lot of my time drawing. And if I have time, I shoot then sleep. ( In that order)<br />I picked up a tattoo machine almost 2 years ago..<br />Its scary as hell, but its fun at the same time..

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

I have thought the same thing, when I was installing them..I think you could use a easy out, lock a pair of visescrips on there and tap it out..Might work.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. The guy who invented the other three, he was the genius.

#3 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

I can take my bullet buttons out with a jewlers screwdriver, I did not use locktite when installing. What type do you own?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

I want the entire unit out so that I can replace it with a standard button.

#5 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:06 PM

It all comes out once the screw is removed. Should just fall right out. What am I missing?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

#6 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

I don't have it in my hands to try, but I assume that because I had to pound the thing it that removing it might be trying.

#7 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

When you say you had to pound the thing in, you're refering to the black anodized "spacer". All four of my BBs slip in and out of my stag lowers without the need to pound them in. Now I can imagine removing that "spacer" would be a pain in the ass if it was forced in. You may have to drill & tap the spacer hole to help with removal.

#8 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

Has anyone removed one yet? Since my AR is staying in MO there is no need to keep the BB in it.

I'm sure Wes can explain that on the 21st. He built my lower and installed the BB.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:04 AM

I am not understanding all this "pounding" talk. All I did was follow the simple BB instructions. There's no need to force anything and the install took all of 120 seconds. Removal will be just as easy, even with a tiny bit of blue Locktite on the threads. I bought an inexpensive "security bit" screwdriver set (at Harbor Freight, I think) and in that kit there are several different types and sizes of bits. One type looks like a two pronged fork with flat tips, One size of that type fit the bullet button bushing perfectly. I used it to install the BB and it will be perfect for removing it when I can legally do so. Am I missing something here?
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#10 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:18 AM

Guys, I am pretty sure those of you that didn't do any pounding have the prince50 or something similar. Our Buulet Buttons were designed to have a slightly thicker lip on one end. That thicker lip is the lip goes in first. It does require a hammer or mallet to pound it in. This creates a REALLY tight fit, which is by design. This is to prevent the quick change of parts from CA legal to Assault Weapon. Once our Bullet Buttons are in, we then use the provided hollow screw to attach the mag release. This screw and mag release can be removed by backing out the screw, but the Button remains lodged in.As far as getting it out, I was thikning maybe carefully drilling it out. You may be able to drill the inside of it enough to get a pair of pliars on it and yank it out.
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#11 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

It is my understanding that there are at least 3 generations of the BB.The first had to be pounded in. People used to file the old version so that it was a slip fit.The second was a slip fit, but was shorter and possibly could be manipulated without a tool.The third and current is a slip fit (like the one I have on my Noveske N6) but is back to the longer design so that a small finger pressed really hard cannot drop the mag.Good Luck,David

#12 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

I agree that there are probably different versions of the BB. On mine I had to file on it and pound it in with a rubber hammer. I doubt I'll be taking it out thoug so I'm not too worried about it.

#13 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

Sounds like I got the third generation bullet button, no pounding was neccesary and it functions flawlessly. Sounds like they changed their design to avoid filing/pounding the spacer in. I don't see an advantage to function having to force the spacer into the lower, and by changing their design it's seems as if they didn't either.My model is a true Bullet Button and not what some refer to as the Prince 50 or "alen wrench model". I believe that Prince 50 manufactures both the Bullet Buttons and the Prince 50 fixed mag kits.

#14 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:07 PM

Same here. Mine is a genuine bullet button and there was no pounding, filing or fooling around. There must be different versions.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

I don't see an advantage to function having to force the spacer into the lower, and by changing their design it's seems as if they didn't either.

I agree that there isn't any difference in function. One could argue that the Original pounded in design is a "More Permanent" configuration change to the lower. Where as the newest BB's can be easily removed, the older style would require some sort of drilling/pounding etc. to remove. Something to the effect of "look officer, you can't even remove this Button as it is permanently attached to the lower". "There is no way I could remove this and swap for the evil version without some major work".I know, I sound like a scaredy cat. :roflmao3[1]:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#16 grunt

grunt

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Being overly cautious about California Gun Laws is probably not a bad idea..........but stand firm in defense of those few rights we still posess. And for gods' sake SUPPORT THE NRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

Same here. Mine is a genuine bullet button and there was no pounding, filing or fooling around. There must be different versions.

I am glad that when I needed one, they were on the 3rd generation. I put one on my Noveske N6 .308 (with a 22-250 upper on it now & and 308 upper on the way that I purchased today :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ). I would hate to have had to use a hammer on a $400 Noveske 308 lower :angry:As I said before, there are 3 generations that I know of that are genuine Bullet Buttons. The second generation is where the drop in fit came in, but they also made it shorter in the second generation and I have been told that it you pushed really hard, the skin of your finger could depress the button enough that the magazine could drop. They fixed it in the third generation by making the BB the same length as in generation 1. I believe that the Prince 50 is made by the same company (guy). It is important to note that with either the BB or the Prince 50...you should never use a magazine which will hold more than 10 as it would make a condition with a fixed magazine of more than 10 rounds which is a felony in itself

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

Mine had to be an older model because it was a SoB to get installed. I will get the sucker out some how once I am back in MO this fall.

#19 RonB

RonB

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:43 AM

I need to read up on this, I live in Ohio and have never heard of a bullet button. I'm assuming they made you do away with the standard mag release button and you had to install a flush type button that you have to manually push in with a bullet tip or something small?...WHY?....Is this just something contrived to make it harder and take longer to do mag changes?Ron

#20 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:17 AM

Both of mine must be gen III as well. They just dropped right in.Ron - it is illegal for us CA guys to have droppable magazines with any "evil" configurations on our AR's. Fixed magazine is a must, so the bullet button is a replacement magazine "non-release" so that the only way to get a magazine out is to use a tool. A bullet is considered a tool.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users