5 replies to this topic

#1 aquaelvis

aquaelvis

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

I am thinking of taking out my Super Black Eagle II. This will be it's first time out. I was reading through the paperwork and going through the gun. It came with 5 chokes. I am stuck on which one I should use. If I had more time I could go out and play with them to see, but I am limited on time. I assume the full choke would be the one to use but the full that they included is for lead, not steel. (I have a box of Federal Premium BlackCloud here- 3.5 inch, 1.5 oz, BB shot, 1500 fps) I was going to head out and run some through the gun and make a couple stands. (I also have a box of Kent Fasteel, 3 inch, 1 1/8 load charge 2 shot size, 1560 fps)I was thinking the 3 1/2 inch shells would be better right? Anyway, back to the choke issue...The full choke is not for steel, there is also an "improved modified" that is not for steel. The ones that are for steel are Modified, Improved Cylinder and Skeet. The manual does not give any info about what these are. Which is my best bet for dropping dogs with the Federal ammo? (unless the Kent would be better but I don't think that is the case) If needed I could run by the store and pick up other shells. (they always seem to be out of everything I am looking for!) If that is the best way, make sure to give me details on what to get. (options too as they are always out of everything) Also, while on the choke topic... anyone use the Primos Dead dog choke?https://shop.primos....lliberetta.aspxIt seems that the Primos choke will not work for steel shot- what are people going to be using in CA now that lead is banned? I was thinking steel?Any better choke I should look at picking up? (not today as i would need to order online) Thanks for the help guys!BTW- it is a Benelli SBE II w/ a 28 inch barrel.

#2 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

Hey elvis,I have been using a full turkey choke with a 3 inch dead coyote and it drops dogs with authority.I would use the full choke with the federal,but think that the range would be limited.I feel safe with shots at 65 yards using full choke and either #4 buck or dead coyote.Some guys find that a 3 inch shell patterns better than a 3 1/2.I patterned my shotgun on a coyotes head as that was the only shot available.Some guys are also using 00 buck but ive yet to try that.Hope this helps.
Don't be stupid

#3 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

I am thinking of taking out my Super Black Eagle II. This will be it's first time out. I was reading through the paperwork and going through the gun. It came with 5 chokes. I am stuck on which one I should use.

Use the modified for steel to protect your choke and barrel.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

I agree with woodog if you are going to use steel use a modified choke. Lead is much better for coyotes than steel. If you can't use lead, Hevi-Shot or Remington Wingmaster HD is three times better for coyotes than steel is. They also cost three times more than steel does.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:26 PM

Bob is right. I have some 3" steel BBB I'll sell cheap. I doubt that you will find any #4 lead BS in Bakersfield, but 2nd Amendment had some 3-1/2" Dead Coyote a couple of weeks ago which you can use with your full choke or a turkey choke. They had Beretta/Benelli chokes in stock also.
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#6 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

For what you have I would go with the Mod choke for now. It will work just fine. I shoot an extended Carlson's Full that is approved for steel shot. It works like a champion, you should look into them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users