• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

i am getting low on scatter ammo and wondering what we have decided was the best load on coyotes? I have had good luck with dead coyote, better than Number 4 buckshot. I think Gary in Ca. did a review a while back and come up with some differrant stuff? Any ideas??

#2 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

Check out this link. There is a lot of good info here.http://www.predatorm...page=0#52640363
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

Thanks Woo dog!!!

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

If I could still shoot lead loads I would use Federal Premium 3" 1-7/8 oz of copper coated BB's or 3" number 4 buckshot. Hevi-Shot and Remington Wingmaster HD are great loads! They are much better than lead loads in patterns and penetration but they cost right at three times more than lead loads. I like the Remington HD 3" BB's better than the 3" Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote loads because the 3" HD BB's have 23 more pellets per shell than the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote has. I did one penetration test comparing the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote to the Remington HD BB and the Federal Premium lead number 4 buckshot. The Remington HD BB's out penetrated the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote. They both out penetrated the lead number 4 buckshot.Posted ImageThe pellets in this picture are pellets I pulled out of some catalogs from a penetration test. The top row is Federal copper coated lead number 4 buckshot. The second row is Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" pellets. The third row on the left is Remington Wingmaster HD BB's, on the right in the third row is Federal Copper Coated lead BB's. The fourth row is Remington Wingmaster HD 2's. The fifth or bottom row is Hevi-Shot "B" pellets. The Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" pellets in the second row don't look much bigger than the Remington HD BB's in the third row do they?Posted ImageThis picture is a pattern from my 11-87 at 40 yards with a Carlson's dead coyote choke shooting a 3" Remington Wingmaster HD number 2 waterfowl load. It put 108 pellets on the 22" X 28" paper, 45 of those pellets were in the 12" circle and 10 pellets in the 3.5" bulls eye. I have killed a bunch of coyotes over the years with Federal Premium BB's and these Remington Wingmaster HD 2's out penetrated the Federal lead BB's by quite a bit.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

Interesting stuff. :harhar1[1]:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

the secret is a good pattern . And that is a good one!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users