14 replies to this topic

#1 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

I dont know if anybody else is ready for archery season but I know I am. Last year I had two good encounters with some bears, and this year I jumped a very respectable 3 point along with quite a few pigs. In the local honey hole hunting spot. According to the scouting trips this year it is looking very good. I even found an antler shed, I consider it a sign or mabey it is just wishful thinking. Either way I can't wait. How about you guys any bow hunters out there ready to go!

#2 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hubby and son bow hunt, though we mainly use it to scout for the rifle season... Last year we ran into 6 bear in one weekend..IM talking see it, smell it, way tooo close to it type of run into... Wasnt no way I was going to be anywhere in the county if they decided to poke a bear with stick if you now what I mean LOL But we went back during rifle, of course never saw a bear close enough to hit with a rifle even... Figures.. IM almost ready for bow season to start.... Have a couple more mounts to get out, have about a month off then I hope to heck everyone fills tags like crazy :glare:

#3 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:24 PM

I'm going bow-hunting for my first time this year. I've got my bow tuned and shooting well, ready to wet myself with excitment.

#4 WALNUTFARMER

WALNUTFARMER

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hubby and son bow hunt, though we mainly use it to scout for the rifle season... Last year we ran into 6 bear in one weekend..IM talking see it, smell it, way tooo close to it type of run into... Wasnt no way I was going to be anywhere in the county if they decided to poke a bear with stick if you now what I mean LOL But we went back during rifle, of course never saw a bear close enough to hit with a rifle even... Figures.. IM almost ready for bow season to start.... Have a couple more mounts to get out, have about a month off then I hope to heck everyone fills tags like crazy :glare:

I am sending something your way for sure this year! I hope. Hopefully its a bear I poked stick!

#5 SpokaneSlayer

SpokaneSlayer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

I am giving bowhunting a go this year for the first time as well. I still have some practicing to do and some strength to build. I'm also waiting to see if I draw a doe tag for rifle season. One tag I have a 1 in 3 chance and the other a 50/50 shot. If i get drawn, that coupled with the multi-season tag I got drawn for, I should bag my first deer.

#6 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

I have bowhunted for a long time with a compound bow. I switched to a Montana longbowlast year and arrowed a tasty forked horn in an apricot orchard. I have since then sold my compound bow and hunt only with the longbow. It is really a kick to get super close to the game youare pursuing. I killed that deer at 4 yards .

#7 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

Glad to see someone take up longbow hunting. I took a 5x6 Bull elk in Montana two years ago with my Black Widow longbow. My brother-in-law called it in for me. I shot and killed it from 7 yards. I thought I was going to gag due to his smell but I picked a hair on his chest and let it fly. Quite the rush for sure!

#8 saeleaw n

saeleaw n

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

I was wondering if any one bow hunt D8. I am new to this club (member of NAHC and VSA) also new to bow hunting and dont know any friends that bow hunt so looking for a partner to hunt D8 with Thanks.

#9 boarn2hunt

boarn2hunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, reading , movies, archery.

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

I AM ALSO TRY FOR DEER THIS YEAR WITH A BOW. APPLIED FOR MA1 HUNT IN SLO COUNTY , GOT LUCKY AND GOT DRAWN. :welcomeani: . ITS AN EITHER SEX HUNT . BEST PART IS IT IS IN NOV - DEC . USE TO LIVE IN SLO COUNTY AND HUNTED IN LPNF MANY TIMES SO I FEEL PRETTY CONFIDENT. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO TAKE A DOE IF OPPORTUNITY ARISES .

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:01 AM

What are you going to be shooting? A traditional or an inline? Caliber? Make?

#11 boarn2hunt

boarn2hunt

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, reading , movies, archery.

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

What are you going to be shooting? A traditional or an inline? Caliber? Make?

WILL ACTUALLY BE SHOOTING A BOW . A HOYT VULCAN . MA1 IS A MUZZLELOADING/ ARCHERY HUNT .

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

I almost stuck a carp in the river does that count :rofl2: I have a old martin wort hog compond I need a new bow for sure.

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

Valley sporting goods in modesto is having a $200 off sale on their Hoyts Johnny.

#14 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

hmmm...I guess I can qualify as a "bowhunter" or rather wannabe bowhunter...I have a PSE that I bought brand new 4yrs ago, but have yet to stick a deer. 3yrs ago, came across a nice 3x2 in D3 during bow season...it bolted. However, when rifle season opened we were lucky enough to tag it out. Last year my brother and his buddy (same spot as the year before) did a spot and stalk on a 4 ptr...his partner came within 15yds and shot high...SHOT HIGH at 15yds!!! wrong pin I guess...

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

My buddy did the same thing last year but it was either a bad case of buck fever or he has no idea of what twenty yards looks like without the aid of a range finder. He shot over a buck at twenty yards because he said he used his thirty yard pin. :yikes[1]: He was telling his BS story while we were practicing in camp so I asked him to go up to the twenty yard line and shoot with his thirtey yard pin......the shot only landed about two and a half inches high. Then he tried to blame his sights and told me to try my twenty and then my thirtey yard pins, that's when I told him "I don't have a twenty yard pin, the thirtey is close enough." :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users