4 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

Has anyone ever tried one. I was looking at one with illuminated mil dot it was surprisingly clear and had a life time warranty.

#2 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

I have one on my Mosin Nagant M-9130, it's a long eye relief, low magnification scope. It didn't cost me much, works ok. From what I've seen, they're not the best-made scopes. I know they're inexpensive, but I think you get what you pay for.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:51 AM

I did a lot of research over about three months looking for a another good quality scope at a decent price for my 22-250 a short while back and ended up with a Swift. It seems Mueller might also be in that category with a few others but I haven't personally viewed them. We had a "view off" at the range a couple of weeks comparing one of my Leupold Vx-III 6.5-20, my new Swift 8-32x, a Nikon, a new Night Force, and a "new" Tasco (licensed through Bushnell). It was obvious with the Tasco that clarity and especially brightness fell off (all were set to 20x) compared with the other scopes. The four of us could not distinguish the other scopes in terms of clarity and brightness. There were some differences in what I might call the refinement of construction and the Leupold led that in my opinion (reticle difference, finish, etc). We all had minor complaints about each scope and there are differences that you might want to consider like illuminated reticle or range of adjustments, etc.Swift's lens and some other parts are made in the US but they are assembled in South Korea like Samsung. There is a noticeable drop off when you look through the less expensive scopes like Barska, Tasco, BSA, and in general the Chinese contingent, etc at higher magnifications than the rest. Some of the Chinese scopes seem to have some aimpoint issues on magnification changes and centering issues at times when adjusting, and recoil issues. I own a BSA, two new Tascos, Bushnell Sportview and a Banner (6-18x50AO on an Savage HMR17) on the bottom and three Leupolds, a Burris, a Redfield, and a Nikon on the higher end as my experience background. The only scopes I have had problems with so far are a Bushnell Sportview from recoil and a Burris that arrived new DOA.The Swift 6-24x50AO or 8-32x50AO typically lists for $249 but you can find them for a little less. I also found numerous independent tests on scopes done in Europe and they provided some interesting results. Now that said Leupold is completely manufactured in the US (but I'm not sure all materials are from the US) and bends over backwards for customer service but you do pay for it.Some of the testing done by independent labs in Europe was a little eye opening because the highest priced scopes didn't necesarily test the best. One of the high priced scopes failed the climate temperature testing and leaked water. There is a lack of independent testing on scopes in the US and I believe it is for good reason.Brant

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

just looking for a squirrel scope not planning on a safari with it.

#5 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

Has anyone ever tried one. I was looking at one with illuminated mil dot it was surprisingly clear and had a life time warranty.

The illuminated and mil dot threw me off. I like the Bushnell Banners on the low end. I like the banner I have on my Savage 917 Heavy barrel SS 17 HMR I mentioned. It is 6-18x50AO and just over $100. This gun shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yds with low wind.http://www.opticspla...bnr-716185.htmlBrantAttached File  1.jpg   18.79KB   10 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users