26 replies to this topic

#1 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm thinking about buying a new tent big enough for the family (6). My old one is shot, and I want to get the family out REAL camping like I did as a kid. If anyone has a good tent they would like to get rid of, PM me. Or any info on new tents I would like to hear it, I look on line and there too many to make scense of. Thanks Craig

#2 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

Ever looked at a wall tent? Cabela's has them http://www.cabelas.com Item: IJ-518440 Cabela's Big Horn™ III Tent

#3 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:46 PM

what about the rei base camp 6? its got really good reviews about 4 1/2 stars out or 5. http://www.rei.com/product/693151

#4 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:56 AM

Looks nice but is it as big?REI also Rents Tents Rent before you by that way you will know if it will do the jobIt all depends on what your needs are if out camping and it rains for a day your :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: That many people stuck insideDodnt forget to have room for everyone's Stuff and ground tarp a must nothing like rocks sticking through tearing the bottom of the tent Then there is Pine Pitch Oh fun stuff!Did you look at all of the revews?Great Tent But Not For 6By Scott the Camping DadSite Member from Prosper, TX on 11/2/2007Pros:Easy to set up, Fly Works Well, SturdyCons:Too CrampedBest Uses:Car CampingDescribe Yourself:Casual/ RecreationalWhat Is Your Gear Style:Comfort DrivenBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friendThis is a fabulous tent. Very well made and sturdy. In high wind situations, this tent stands strong. My only warning is that if you are a family of 5 or 6, like we are, this tent probably won't hold you. We have 3 smaller children (9, 7, 4) and we were barely able to fit the 5 of us. I can't imagine if our children were teenagers. We typically use air mattresses when we camp, but with this tent we had to use the flat floor cushions instead because there is not enough room. This tent would be awesome for 4 or less.

#5 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:21 AM

Wall Tents are nice..I'm thinking about getting one, but for the family fun side of things that might be a bit too much. If it's just for family fun, we bought one at REI (I think) for about $300.00 which is real nice -- we use for camping on our boating trips...we've purchased the ones in the past from Target, Walmart, etc. in the $149.00 range - you know the 3 room tents - only to have the poles crack after a couple years...

#6 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:23 AM

Tent? Who needs a tent? This is california. I don't usually use one, especialy since that's pretty much the only time I can see more than 2 or 3 stars in the sky, I like an uninhibited view. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

hahah, im just not one for waking up in a puddle high up in the sierras :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#8 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

I checked the link you posted on the tent from REI and that's similar to the one we boat 2yrs ago...I use it for camping when we're boating (family) and when I go hunting...it's been rained and snowed on - held up extremely well in wet snow whereas my brother's tent collapsed last year from the weight of the snow. TI went up to about 8,000' in D zone and on opening weekend we got 6-8" of wet snow...again good tent.

#9 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

I was actually up in bridgeport over memorial weekend and i was using me brand new REI Quarter Dome T3http://www.rei.com/product/761895 and it snowed 4-6 inches on us....yea 4-6 inches in the END of may :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: it held up great, except that its not ment for snow so it bowed down a little bit, but with 4 inches of snow on it, that is expected but anyways back on topic, its a great tent and I have to commend REI on a great tent design for this one, and I will be buying primarily REI tents from now on, great price, and great product!

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

When I choose a tent I look at two things. Ease of set up and ability to stand up to the elements. For ease of set up we use a simple dome tent for the family. It is one of the larger dome tents but only uses two poles and goes up in just a few minutes. I can set it up myself which is what normally happens anyway. I've gotten mine set up and watched other guys struggle twice as long and still be working different poles.So that's my first criteria. My second is water proofing. I like a good, thick tarp bottom that comes up the sides. When I went backpacking up mount whitney as a boy scout my buddy and I had the thick tarp bottom while everyone else had the standard tent material on the bottom. It rained almost every day and that tarp bottom tent stayed dry while all the other tents turned into swamps.As far as brands I've found some of the non brand ones to be just as good as the big brand names. They probably come out of the same factory in china anyway.

#11 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

I have the REI base camp for our family. I have used many tents over the years for camping and wildlife photography throughout the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand. The recommendation for one that has what is referred as a bathtub floor is a must if you camp in areas where you know you get occasional rain or more. We have four in our family, but we only bring one mattress - that is for my wife when she goes. The Base camp has two vestibules - one in front, and a smaller one in the back. It is not a tent to live in 24/7, but it is plenty comfortable for bedding clothing, and the extras we keep in the enclosed front vestibule area. Another feature to look for in a tent, especially if you desert camp, it one that withstands strong winds. The base camp handles both wind and snow. We were in Joshua Tree NP three years ago and two other nearby tents were literally blown apart by the wind. The owners lost material, poles broke, the works. If you are just going for the fair weather weekend once a year, any of the domes will work. If not, a large family 3-4 season tent will have a minimum 6 poles. It just has to do with the structural integrity of the geodesic geometry that makes it more effective in wind and snow.The other thing I look for is that the tent has plenty of spots for guy lines. I always guy the tent, even in great weather, as weather can change very quickly in mountainous or desert regions.If you have a tendency to bring a lot of gear, we solved the space problem by taking a smaller three-person tent for the kids to sleep in and use the Base Camp for the main hut. This is also a good idea as some camping areas are difficult to navigate the erection of a large footprint tent in a single spot, while two smaller ones work out better. Two years ago, I purchased a couple of the original Tent cots. They come in handy for additional sleeping quarters as well - especially for those who don't want to sleep on the ground. They are extremely waterproof and have plenty of screen mesh for the times when the weather is great and you want to look at the stars. The original Tent-Cot brand is not the one Cabelas sells. I got mine just before the US government began ordering them for the troops in Iraq. The prices went up a bit after and they were hard to come by for a while. They have a slightly domed roof which sheds water better than the Cabela's model.I hope this helps, as I don't really know all of your needs or requirements.db

#12 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:00 PM

300wsm, how big is your family? Walmart has some sales coming up on Family Size tents and they won't cost as much as the REI or Cabela's tents. You never know when you'll only use the tent once because the family decides it's not their thing! My hunting partner can't get his wife and kids away from "civilized living" and has sold most of his camping gear except for his own personal gear.

#13 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, REI sounds like the way to go, Thanks again,,300WSM

#14 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

Well a little late but I have the Cabelas outback tent and love it. It is easy to set up and will stand up to the elements. We have had it in high winds heavy rain and snow and never had a problem with it and the number one thing that my friends and I like. You can stand up straight to get dressed.

#15 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the info, a fellow member has offered me a like new tent. Thanks 300wsm

#16 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

What one?db

#17 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

It's a Columbia Bugaboo, Dome, sleeps 5,and that will work , the boys like to have there own tent anyway, and lets face it they smell pritty bad after the first day.,,300wsm

#18 Craig J

Craig J

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

Don't forget LL Bean for there life time warranty. Just a thought if it breaks they will send you a new one.

#19 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

Good deal. I think you will enjoy the second tent idea. It is one we have used for a while now. They just need something small to sleep in. That way you aren't using the room in the main one.db

#20 DesertTom

DesertTom

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

You might try e-bay. There are lots of tents that sleep 5+.

#21 gymfinityjerod

gymfinityjerod

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:33 AM

springbar tent, end of discussion. Set up is stupid simple, super tough. Only tent I know of that can hunt all over the west and that you don't measure its lifespan in years, but generations.

#22 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

The biggest piece of advice that I can offer is buy a tent that's big enough for everyone (7'x7' is the smallest I recommend for 2 people) BUT with as few shock-corded poles as necessary. I learned this from watching a hunting partner cuss, scream, and swear to throw away his huge multi-pole tent every deer season (yet he showed up with it every year). Nothing worse than rolling into a campsite at midnight and trying to fumble around with 15 different poles... I have a 10+ year old Coleman tent that has seen every possible amount of abuse and it's never let me down. I've attached a pic of it after a surprise snow storm hit our deer camp a few years ago (a branch unloaded on it while we were out hunting, luckily, and didn't even snap the poles). That being said, I think the tent/cot thingy that Clampdaddy has is pretty cool if you're not claustrophobic.

Attached Files

#23 gymfinityjerod

gymfinityjerod

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

that is exactly why I love the springbar. No shock cords, no plastic poles. I've taken this tent, which sleeps my whole family, and i usually set it up by myself in a few minutes. The part that takes the longest is driving in your stakes.

#24 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

I'm thinking about buying a new tent big enough for the family (6). My old one is shot, and I want to get the family out REAL camping like I did as a kid. If anyone has a good tent they would like to get rid of, PM me. Or any info on new tents I would like to hear it, I look on line and there too many to make scense of. Thanks Craig

I have Cabela's Alaskan Guide 8-person tent, that's only good for four people, with aluminum poles and I love it. You will not be disappointed if you buy this tent. I bought the footprint that goes underneath the tent ,which I advise getting and I purchased the tent floor liner, that I also recommend getting. Quality material, cup holders, no complaints with the tent. It is much easier to put up with help. I would not want to try it alone.

#25 nate

nate

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well I know this isn't for a family, but I thought I'd throw my $0.02 in. Since I don't really have to worry about the sleeping arrangements of others I use a Henesssy Hammock. Set up is simple stupid and it won't damage the bark of the trees you're using. Don't have to worry about the ground or the weather. It'll keep all the weather and bugs out, also makes a great chair or lounger when out doors. I have an ultralite one for weight restrictions and the weather in california hasn't been so bad. I'm sure if I went higher in the mountains I'd need a different one, and probably the warmer layers of my sleeping bag.

#26 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

one word. Coleman.say no more.

#27 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:10 PM

We have the big outfitters tent complete with wood stove, hot water etc.. Its awesome. We used to take it to Colorado and it survived years of snow storms, freezing temps (you stay toasty warm), plenty of room for everyone and then some. Now that we got older and more spoiled we haul the rv.. But we can use the outfitters tent as a garage for the quads and a place for me to do all my skinning and such.. Its not hard to put up. And can handle some very nasty weather. Now it mostly gets used for family BBQ's and holidays. MUCH easier to have everyone in the tent than in our house..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users