7 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

I was fishing the river and had a big fish explode on it didn't know what it was tell I got it in .Ahh sh*t it was a squaw fish it's 25 inches long at least 5 pounds. I didn't know they hit top water tell now .Posted Image

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

:smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Ive got them on lures before . Fun fish to catch . they are super preds they eat alot of the steal head and salmon fry. But they are one of the few native fish to the vally.

#3 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:23 AM

Apparently you haven't been keeping up with your political correctness lessons. No more "squaw" anything since it offends Indi.., uh, native Americans. It's now called a Northern Pike Minnow. lolThere's a bounty on them up here and a few people actually make a good living catching them. Up on the Okanogan River in North Central Washington you can catch one every third cast or so. When I first moved there I went steelhead fishing and was catching them and would release them but after I found out what they were and the kinds of devastation they were causing on the salmonids I just threw them up in the bushes on the bank.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:38 AM

One kind is protected here in Kalifornia. I think its in the calorado river.They are suposed to be good to eat kind of like carp :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: .

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

that pike minnow put up a good fight it was fun. I goggled the squaw fish and read up on it I didn't know they did so much harm .Years ago they poisoned a lake do to pike being introduced and they were eating up all the native fish. Here is a pic of my freinds bass he caught,Posted Image

#6 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

never heard of "sqaw fish"...when I pulled up the pic looked like a carp...goes to show you I grew up fishing streams for trout and nothing else.

#7 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

Nice fish . cool pics and a great story. wish I had one to tell. I need to catch any kind of fish.

#8 nmlhunter

nmlhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING, eating, HUNTING, sleeping, HUNTING..... What else is there?

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

strange what fish will bite on. Sunday I flipped a fluke out on the lake and caught a bass. Moved over by these trees and flipped it out again and caught a trout, about 17 inches on the same fluke. Now that was after being upstream seing trout and using my fly rod for the trout and not catching a thing. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users