• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

SJ posted a web site for R&D Custom Barrel Services some months ago and as I recall a couple of list member used the service to shorten shotgun barrels. How did it turn out? I finally got my Xtrema2 and want to turn my Stoeger 2000 into a predator gun by shortening the 26" barrel to 20" and installing a Carlson Dead Coyote choke, or whatever works best. The Stoeger barrel is over-bored and I'm wondering if the ID of the tube will be too large to thread for a choke.SteveH
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Oooohh, sounds like an awesome brushie shotgun for the yotes. I'd like to see how this turns out.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

It was http://www.americhoke.com/Here is the full post. HERE

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

He must have changed the name of his business. The link you show takes you to R&D Custom Barrel Service owned by Bob Day.Edit: R&D Custom Barrel Service turns out to be a subsidiary of AmeriChoke.Woodog

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, it's R&D. I sent a barrel in for my 870 and they did a great job. They got my barrel back to me even sooner than they said they would. I highley recomend them. :smiley_green_with_envy:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

Good news. I talked to the owner today and will ship the Stoeger 2000 barrel tomorrow. Not sure what we are going to do about the vent rib and overbore yet, but I was impressed with his knowledge. He will mic the barrel six inches shorter than the present length and let me know if there is enough meat left in the overbore to install a choke and how he will handle the cut off vent rib. I'll keep you informed.SteveH

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

Any news?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

Finally got the barrel in the mail yesterday, USPS Priority Mail, and it should be to R&D by Monday or Tuesday. Bob said that he may not be able to remove a full six inches from the 20- inch barrel because of the vent rib. He said the best bet is to shorten the barrel to the nearest supporting pillar which is just under five inches from the end of the barrel. Won't know about the choke/over bore question until he mics the barrel at the point it will be cut.Turns out that Bob is the machine shop manager for the City of Los Angeles which is why he doesn't answer his phone during the day. He does the work in his own shop evenings and weekends. I sent along a Briley Turkey choke I had on the gun that worked well and will also fit a 12 ga Beretta and Benelli. I didn't think to try it on the new Xtrema2 before I sent it with the Stoeger 2000 barrel.Don't have a firm price yet, but it will be more that the standard $80 cut and thread the barrel job because of the vent rib, installing a new Truglow bead and possible problems because of the over bore. I may have to buy a new choke from Bob if the Briley won't work. He said he stocks a lot of different chokes.SteveH

#9 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:15 PM

Did you get your barrel back yet? If so, how did it turn out and how does she shoot?I have been trying to decide on which shotgun to use for the upcoming Yote season. I think I have decided to use my Tacticool Mossberg 590SP. It is a 12ga Pump with 3" chamber, 20" barrel, 9 shot mag. I was going to just sell this and use the money towards a Semi, but I found the Recoil Reducing Knoxx stock I wanted for the 590 at a good price. So, now with the stock on the way, I need to send my barrel off to get threaded for chokes (and add a Carlson Dead Coyote choke).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#10 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like a good plan. The Stoeger is back and looks great but has not been shot yet. Check out the web site www.americhoke.com and give Bob Day a call at (562) 923-3608 and tell him what you want. My Mossberg Tactical Turkey pump works great for critters. Ask Bob about installing a TruGlo sight(s) if you don't already have a fiber optic. I was at Ten Percent Firearms today and happened to notice that they had a Stoeger 2000 26" standing next to a Stoeger Coach shotgun with a 20" barrel and the coach gun is almost a foot shorter than the semi. Which means that my 2000 with the 20" barrel is still about four inches longer the the coach gun (the difference is in the stock). So guess what I did. :roflmao3[1]: Yep, I'll go back on Sunday 6/22/08 to pick her up. When I get it I'll post a photo of the Mossberg, the two Stoegers and the 26" Xtrema all together.Wes will be at the Gathering and will donate a gift certificate for the drawing.

#11 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

:smiley_green_with_envy: :1rock1oo: Man, I think I will just stop getting firearms for myself. You can just setup some sort of check-out system. You know, like the library. Thanks for the report on the barrel. Once I have confirmation that my stock is on the way, I will send my barrel to Bob. I plan to get the choke threads (I have talked with him in the past and I think he said to get the remington threads) plus I want the Truglo sight.Did you get the Carlson Dead Coyote Choke from him? If so, how much was it?
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#12 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:15 PM

No, he sells a generic no-name choke that he claims is better than the Carlson DC. I haven't even patterned the choke he sold me yet (tight turkey) and have ordered a modified and full in the same "brand". About the same $$$ as a Carlson. Tight Turkey, sounds like a Friday night game in a gay bar. :smiley_green_with_envy: :1rock1oo:

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

I was at Ten Percent Firearms today and happened to notice that they had a Stoeger 2000 26" standing next to a Stoeger Coach shotgun with a 20" barrel and the coach gun is almost a foot shorter than the semi. Which means that my 2000 with the 20" barrel is still about four inches longer the the coach gun (the difference is in the stock).

What makes a double so short is that the barrels start further to the rear and not necissarily the stock length. The barrel on a pump auto has to sit further out so ammo can cycle in from the rear.

#14 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

That makes sense.

#15 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

Talked with Bob today. I am getting my barrel in the mail tomorrow. He is putting in the choke threads and truglo front sight. I'm adding the 665-670 choke as well. I should have my knoxx stock this week as well. So, possibly by next week this thing will be ready to shoot.PS....Do I need a dowel/plug in my shotgun when hunting Yotes? I was thinking the limitation on rounds when hunting was only for big game, but I don't want to be illegal. My shotgun is a 8+1 (I don't plan to load it all the way up, but it would be nice not to have to plug it).

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

You can't hunt game animals of any kind like birds or rabbits with your plug out.

Time waits for no one--

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

Just FYI, I have never taken this shotgun hunting. It was going to be my HD shotgun (still will) but I decided to use it as my Yote shotgun as well. I guess if I am using it for hunting, I had better have the plug in, just in case a jack needs to be dispatched. :)As far as birds, I have always used my Beretta which has a permanent plug.Just didn't want you guys to think I have been out blasting away with Home Defense shotgun with a full 9rds in it.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:45 PM

That's why I mentioned it. It would be your luck you shot a cottontail with your .22 and a Warden stopped you and he checked your shotgun and it didn't have a plug in it. Even though you didn't shoot the rabbit with it you can't have the unplugged shotgun along with you. Just like the new lead bullet ban. You can have any lead bullets in your vehicle when you're shooting coyotes with your non lead. Confusing but unfortunately true.

Time waits for no one--

#19 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:05 AM

No, he sells a generic no-name choke that he claims is better than the Carlson DC. I haven't even patterned the choke he sold me yet (tight turkey) and have ordered a modified and full in the same "brand". About the same $$$ as a Carlson. Tight Turkey, sounds like a Friday night game in a gay bar. :) ;)

:signlol2iu: :) :) Jeeeeeezzzz!!! my sides still hurt from laughing so hard.

"Every Day Is My Friday"

#20 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:12 PM

Which Truglo color is best or do you guys prefer? Red or Green? I'm thinking red cause there isn't too much red where I hunt.

#21 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

Green, the human eye picks up this color better than red. The bright green is quite a bit different than the greens in nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users