• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:41 AM

Just got my new Remington 1100 semiauto and took it shooting for the first time yesterday. The problem I had was I couldn't get it to cycle with 2 3/4" #8 target loads. I double checked the box and the ammo wasn't marked "Don't use in semiautos". Is there a gas adjustment that must be made? :signtripledogdare2wf:

#2 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

Bronco,The Remington 1100 shotgun is very sensitive to dirt. Strip it down and make sure it is clean. Sometimes they sit around on a shelf in the gun store gathering dust or just get put together dirty at the factory. After a thorough cleaning give it a light coat of WD-40 or something other than gun oil on the internal parts. If you grease or oil this gun excessively, it becomes a dirt magnet. You didn't say what guage, but if it jams due to failure to fully extract, I would bet on there being grime on the inside. As I recall on some of the older semi-auto guns there was a high base-low base ring on the mag tube that had to be flipped end for end to get the gun to cycle low base shells successfully. However, I don't think that is the case on newer guns but I could be wrong.If a good cleaning doesn't work, take it back as it has other problems you probably aren't equipped to fix.Truckeedan

#3 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

Just got my new Remington 1100 semiauto and took it shooting for the first time yesterday. The problem I had was I couldn't get it to cycle with 2 3/4" #8 target loads. I double checked the box and the ammo wasn't marked "Don't use in semiautos". Is there a gas adjustment that must be made? :signtripledogdare2wf:

If the gun is a 3" mag you should be using a load of 1 1/8oz 3 dram eqiv load as a minimum. There is no "adjustment".

#4 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

You should never oil the piston chamber of a Remington 1100. It should be either dry lubed or just left clean with no oil. When the gun is fired soot and powder residue will make the gun malfunction. Even if the gun is a 2 3/4" a 2 3/4 dram load will not make it cycle. It takes a 3 dram load min. All of my gas operated semi autos are the same. Winchester, Browning Gold, Rem 1100 or 11-87. It makes no difference. If I'm shooting sporting clays and want to use the Wal Mart specials I will use a 3 dram AA for the first shot and a el cheapo as the backup. Pretty much what Yodel Dog said.

#5 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Guys your suggestions are great. I put a call into J&G Gunsmithing (916) 786-9200 up in Granite Bay the local Remington recommended gun shop and they told me to give it a good cleaning and shoot AA 3 dram minimum shot. I'll give it a try and let all know if this works. Once again, thanks for your input. Believe me it is greatly appreciated.

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

Is the barrel chambered for 3" shells? If so it won't cycle 3 dr. 2 3/4" shells. At least mine won't. I bought a 2 3/4" barrel and it will. The trouble is the 3" barrel has less gas porting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users