• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

Yesterday I ordered a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 243. My intent for the rifle is coyotes in the eastern sierras and shooting will be in the 300+ range, around 7500 to 8000 ft elevation. Can you guys recommend a good factory load and bullet weight. I'll have to see what the rifle prefers since I no longer reload. But suggestions would be appreciated since it gets pretty expensive shooting everything out there looking for that "right load" Thanks in advance.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#2 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

I can tell you that the 100gr Remington Corelokt's are devestating on coyotes and I have never had to track one (DRT) and the exits have never been more than golf ball sized but I also haven't had to shoot the distances you're talking about except in AZ and I had already switched to the 223. I would really be surprised if you have to shoot that far unless the dogs you're calling are really getting pressured. The areas that I hunt get hunted real hard and the farthest shot I have had to take was 220 and that was because I got tired of watching it but it was moving closer every time it would move.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#3 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

I prefer the 85 grain if you can find them :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#4 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

Federal Premium Vital Shok 85 gr Barnes Triple Shock at $45.00/box of 20. All copper HPs. :yahoo:
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#5 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

Boy, at those prices I may just have to reconsider and start reloading again.
Take no guff, cut no slack, hookum, bookum and don't look back.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

55 grain ballistic tips and 62 grain varmint grenades drive tacks in my sps .243.

#7 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

Yesterday I broke in my new Savage .243 and had good results with FEDERAL PREMIUM 70 gr. TNT. I shot 10 rds at 100yds in 1.100", check out my post in the rifle catagory.,,300WSM

#8 Granite

Granite

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:21 AM

My gun really likes the federal powershok 80 grainers. My gun has 1 in 10 twist. I see your gun has a twist of 1 in 9 1/8 so it should shoot them well also. I like how these buck the wind on longer shots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users