• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 archerjohn

archerjohn

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I BOW HUNT AND I ALSO HUNT WITH A 17 & 243 FOR PREDATORS ,PIG AND DEER

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

i have owned 870`s in the past now i want to get shot gun for yotes can`t choose need advice rem 870 super mag or benelli nova no auto`s i like pumps just dont know anything about benelli can i get other barrels are they tuf feild guns ect

#2 Granite

Granite

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:10 PM

Browning bps hands down

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:44 AM

i have owned 870`s in the past now i want to get shot gun for yotes can`t choose need advice rem 870 super mag or benelli nova no auto`s i like pumps just dont know anything about benelli can i get other barrels are they tuf feild guns ect

There's nothing wrong with Benelli's, but... My experience: Myself and one of my duck hunting buddies shoot an 870. My brother and the other hunting buddy both shoot Nova's. We love our 870's, they believe in the Nova. We've swapped to try each other's stuff out, but those Nova's (in my opinion) are sloppy. The action is janky feeling on both of them (one's about 10 and the other is brand new). With that being said...the guy with the 10 year old Benelli has an 870 as a backup gun. What does that tell you? As far as aftermarket support, you can't beat the 870.

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

870 all the way. I tend to favor steel over plastic.Posted ImageHere's my 870 yote/turkey gun. Can't wait to put it to work.

#5 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

Easy Decision :signs684mh: Buy both :roflmao3[1]: One can never have too many guns Hee hee

#6 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

I happen to own both. The 870 is tried and tested over the years. It is a great gun for the money and the options you can do with it. But I choose to shoot the Nova 95% of the time. And the nova is far less "sloppy" than the 870 due to the solid butt stock/receiver configuration. It is also easier on the shoulder with magnum buck loads. The 870 and the Nova are hard to beat, you should just check them both out and see what fits you best.Oh yeah, you can get other barrels for the Nova but not as easily or readily as the 870.

#7 DEERSLAM

DEERSLAM

Hunting 365 days a year...in my mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Family and hunting

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

I've got the Nova and really like it.Posted Image

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

I had a nova and it functioned real well and patterned great. Bought an auto loader and had to work it over to get the results I wanted.

#9 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

I think both are good choices. But the 870 has far more versitiality as far as barrels, stocks' mag tube extensions, ect. The Nova does have one bad habit, if you get in a hurry and grip the slide to far back on the reload. I promise you will never forget where that hand belongs on the slide.

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

Ladieeeees aaaand gentleman, step right up and see the worlds worst blood blister! :yahoo:

#11 tbrincefield

tbrincefield

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:34 PM

870 all the way. I tend to favor steel over plastic.Posted ImageHere's my 870 yote/turkey gun. Can't wait to put it to work.

Which barrel is that? I'm looking to build a shotgun just like that, but the 21" turkey barrel is like $200 by itself. I'm thinking I'm better off just getting an already setup turkey gun. If you don't mind, how much did that set you back?

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

Actually, that barrel is a 21" smooth bored slug barrel that I had laying around so I sent it off and had it threaded for choke tubes. You could also buy The cheapy black synthetic stocked model with a regular length ribbed barrel, cut it down to the length you want (I think 21" is perfect), snap on a tru-glo or similar front sight, and have it threaded. If I remember right the job only cost $85 and it only took a couple days to get it back after I sent it off. Finally I degreased the heck out of the metal and used spraypaint for the camo job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users