• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

I'll save you guys some time and money on building a pellet trap. There used to be plans for a silent pellet trap on the web but the guy sells them now. His were made of wood and I made a couple I still use. But I found something that works even better and can stand up to even my PCP airguns. You can get all of the materials from Home Depot. I print my own target on a 90 pound weight paper so that the pellets cut clean holes. So you can take a standard sheet of 8.5X11 paper to the store and go to the electrical department. Find the cheapest metal electrical circuit box (breaker box) that the paper fits closely over. The box fronts come off and you'll get rid of it when you get home. Then find or ask the sales person to get you to the Electrical Duct Sealant. It's a gray putty that comes in stick blocks and get enough to make one layer of it inside your box. Take your materials home and take the top off of the circuit box and throw it away. Take your duct seal and stuff it into the box. Go find a refrigerator door magnet or I use a magnetic paper clip to hold your target to the front of the metal electrical box. There you have your silent pellet trap. These are very quiet that don't splatter lead or lead dust around and you can shoot almost indefinitely into them without worrying about removing the pellets. Plus since it's a metal box you never have to worry about your pellets making a hole out the back like I did with my wooden version.
  • skark_burmer and Ezequiel like this

#2 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

Nice one SJ!Darren

#3 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

Sweet! I just went to Lowes (I said I wasn't going out in the heat today). I picked up a 100A Power box for $15.xx and 8 bars of Electrical Putty for $2.xx for a total of $35. Very simple idea I would have never thought of.Thanks John.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

Sounds like the price has gone up? Oh well what hasn't lately. You have yourself a great pellet trap now and it's safe and quiet. :)

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

I have a few of the wooden ones like yours with the clipboards. But hit that clipboard and you have to make a new one. I like the circuit breaker boxes because they're already metal and a magnet works so much easier to hold the target. If I let anybody shoot at mine I bring out the plate a 2 foot by 2 foot 1/4 inch steel backup. I don't like extra holes in my wall.

#6 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:18 PM

Thank you for the idea. I usually just bound two or three old phone books together with duct tape and shoot till the first book is done. I then remove the first book and tape another one on and shoot. It takes a lot to go through a 1 1/2" phone book.

#7 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Airguns, Inventing and Fishing

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

I made your pellet trap and must say it works perfect! Cost about $60 maybe $70 to make but this thing will last a lifetime.Thanks much!

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

Glad it worked out. :signs1180lq: There's a bit of up front cost but not as much as the commercial wood ones they sell. Plus you'll never accidentally shoot through it like some of us have the wood ones. :signs1180lq:

#9 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

This is how it looks.Attached File  pellet_trap_sitting_on_desk.jpg   67.9KB   163 downloadsAttached File  pellet_trap_45_degree_angle.jpg   32.34KB   90 downloads

#10 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Just to let you guys know. The trap above that ShooterJohn designed stopped a 230 grain slug going 781 fps. Also, it stopped a 143 grain round ball going 910 fps. Although one of the slugs went into the wood as well (I had a 1 inch piece of plywood behind the putty), it made it half way through. Two inches of that putty will stop any airgun. I shot it with 22 LR and even those 60 grain 22's. The only thing I could see happening is that if you were to shot at the same spot with a big bore there would be problems. Or if you used 22 LR then a couple shots in the same hole and you might want to move to new spot. My magnum airguns PCP's where going in over 1 inch and my ar6 1 1/2 deep plus. It was neat shooting this trap and then dig them out to see expansion and the damage to the lead. For shooting target guns it's perfect. No noise and I could shoot 100's in the same spot and the lead just keeps sticking to lead and doesn't leave a hole or build up. Kind of pushes the putty around.Thanks again John for the idea!Bone

#11 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

I went to Lowes and Home depot and I could not find the stick putty and nobody had any idea what I was talking about.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

It's called electrical duct sealant (Google it) and is found in the electrical department. I bought 10 sticks of it the beginning of the week from Home Depot. I guess they don't have to be smart to work there. I'll see if I can locate a part code for it. But I picked it up off of the shelf.

#13 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

I will go back tomorrow and look again.

#14 Bone

Bone

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

Yeah I'm going to get more of it. 2 bucks a stick is a good deal for what it does. Yeah it's in the electrical section and I had to go to 3 stores and bought everything they had so it's not something they keep a lot of. Each store had about 10 sticks. Although this material works good for stopping bullets and good to see the mushroom action of shot bullets. I don't think it would be good for ballistics unless you make it the same temp each time and the same consistency each time you fill the tube or box of material you shoot. I might get some any try. Sounds like a fun test.

#15 atto

atto

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:.177's, looking to buy a .22 rifle.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

If you want ballistics, make ballistics gelatin!

#16 sixgun

sixgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

great idea shooter john ... makes a nice pellet/trap for those of us trying to save some money ...

#17 Johnny

Johnny

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

I will go back tomorrow and look again.

I know this is an old post, but since others still look at them (including myself), i thought i would add my findings in hopes it would help someone. Home Depot's website calls the putty... Gardner Bender Duct Seal Compound Plugs (10-Pack)Model # DS-110Store SKU # 593567Good luck!BTW: Great Idea!

#18 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Finally finished my target today. This is how I finished the inside.Posted ImageThis is what it looks like with the cover on it.Posted ImageThis is what it looks like with a target on it. The target has 4 five shot groups shot at 19 yards. That is as far as I can shoot where I am staying now.Posted ImageHere is what a five shot group looked like in the Duct Seal.Posted ImagePosted ImageHere is a 18.1 grain JSB one shot one not.Posted ImageThanks for this post and idea. The target is silent and the Duct Seal stopped pellets better that what I thought it would. They were going in about an inch. I think it would stop a .22 LR no problem. It looks like to me that my groups are smaller in the duct seal than they are on the paper. I am going to have to print my targets on thicker paper or get some cardboard backer.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

Bennie go to Staples or a similar store and get some 70lb paper stock. It makes great targets, nice and firm so they cut real nice when the pellets hit it.

#20 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

It's called electrical duct sealant (Google it) and is found in the electrical department. I bought 10 sticks of it the beginning of the week from Home Depot. I guess they don't have to be smart to work there. I'll see if I can locate a part code for it. But I picked it up off of the shelf.

So true I used to work at Home Depot when I was a kid and things are much different then when Bernie and Arthur owned it. They actually trained us, to this day i still help people find things at Home Depot when I'm there shopping for myself. Sad.

#21 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

This type of pellet trap with only one layer of putty stopped a 9mm. I wont say on youtube what kind of round it was, but it is a law enforcement only round and is extremely powerful. I'm assuming any regular 9mm would be stopped dead in its tracks (I'm actually going to be testing this theory out tomorrow!) Heres the proof!When I have time I'll edit the video and make it look a lot nicer (I'm still trying to learn how to use this new thing, its got a lot of options and stuff that I'm not familiar with, its a nice camera xD)Also: It stopped .22lr 20 grain blazer ammo at point blank with 2 different .22 hunting rifles and a winchester model 22a-1. The pellets and bullets fired from similar ranges both penetrated about the same.Posted Image

#22 Waldo Reed

Waldo Reed

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Too Many

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Here's my first pellet trap. I ordered a project kit from Archer Air before discovering the California Predators Club website and this thread. I enjoyed putting it together and I'm happy with the handle and rubber feet I found for it. When the clipboard breaks I'll probably secure target paper with magnets. The glossy finish is the best I've done to date and pretty good for four coats.

21abguf.jpg

The duct seal is approximately 4" thick.

29dv0ps.jpg

#23 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Go to Staples or Office Depot and get yourself a clear plastic clip board to make a replacement. I ended up putting a piece do 10ga steel in my old wooden box because my PCP air rifles are so accurate and powerful they ended up driving the pellets out the back of the wooden trap. I haven't done that with the electrical box trap.

You can shot a .22 long rifle into one of these traps as long as you back the trap with a steel plate.

#24 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

I would bet that Robin's 3 cats would make great silent pellet traps if hit properly. "sigh"  I may regret saying that... lol

#25 Waldo Reed

Waldo Reed

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Too Many

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Go to Staples or Office Depot and get yourself a clear plastic clip board to make a replacement. I ended up putting a piece do 10ga steel in my old wooden box because my PCP air rifles are so accurate and powerful they ended up driving the pellets out the back of the wooden trap. I haven't done that with the electrical box trap.

You can shot a .22 long rifle into one of these traps as long as you back the trap with a steel plate.

What do you suggest to cut the hole in the plastic clip board? I have a jigsaw but very little experience with it. And anytime I have cut plastic with a dremel cutoff wheel, it melts the plastic; it works but it's messy and not smooth.

My trap contains the steel plate from Archer Air behind the duct seal. I read a .22 long rifle has 120+ foot pounts of energy. However, I would never shoot a firearm in the city unless it was for protection.

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Take you new uncut plastic clip board and mark out the opening on it using the one you have now.  Just hold them back to back and use a Sharpie to trace the outline of the opening.  Then use at least a 3/8 inch drill bit and drill the four corners.  Now using a straight edge and two spring clamps or even tape.  Measure the distance from the edge of your jigsaw to the blade.  Clamp your straight edge that distance from the inside of the line you drew.  Insert your jigsaw blade into a hole parallel to your straight edge and start sawing.  Continue around your clip board and you had a perfectly square hole.

I will tell you that your pellet trap with a 1/4 inch steel plate will take large pistol rounds.

#27 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

I would bet that Robin's 3 cats would make great silent pellet traps if hit properly. "sigh"  I may regret saying that... lol

What happens on CPC stays on CPC.

Tom

#28 ducksoupe

ducksoupe

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, 3D Rendering on my computer , Writing stories, collecting vintage radios and Target practice and rodent control like rats

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

I put an outdoor light in back of my house and wanted sealant to protect from rain getting behind it and a  dampening preventer. Home Depot told me they had none; but I found 5 sticks in the Electric department and bought them all. They worked fine and that was 5 years ago. The target boxes I see here are great boxes for pellet traps. I have my own Idea and will post if it works :crazy: If not I will build from what I see. Thank you

#29 ducksoupe

ducksoupe

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, 3D Rendering on my computer , Writing stories, collecting vintage radios and Target practice and rodent control like rats

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:07 AM

Well I built a temporary trap. I used one of those plastic tubs and took off the top with the bottom facing the shooter. I filled it with insulation and a pillow. I want to finish it off with books. This is temporary until I make one like above. I fired a pellet for the first time in the basement expecting a softer sound; but the recoil and loud crack let me know to shop for ear protectors. I almost went deaf from 30 years of firing up to 7mm rifles. Now its only pellet guns for me. To renew your license here it's $100 and going over the coals and I told them screw it. Now I read in the forums and in the gun clubs here that they don't want you to shoot lead pellets; what in blue blazes is that? A lot of companies will have to crank up on alloy pellets which are not good in a rifled barrel I believe. Lead is soft and you clean your barrel every 100 pellets. Alloy will probably do a job on your rifling. Maybe I am wrong. I had a permit to make bullets in the city years ago and cranked them out for police and even the registry so they could practice. I had all the dies and separate machines all set up.They all were Dillon's the best made at the time.

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

In California we will still be able to use lead pellets in most areas.  Tejon Ranch being the exception.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users