1 reply to this topic

#1 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

If you had a 20 inch bull barrel and a 20 HBar, and you shot them side by side in the same conditions, how much different would your groupings be?

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

If you had a 20 inch bull barrel and a 20 HBar, and you shot them side by side in the same conditions, how much different would your groupings be?

The difference will have more to do with the quality of the barrel itself more than it's profile. The external proofile of the barrel itself will have minimal effects on accuracy except that the stiffer the barrel is, the more consistent it will be if all other things are equal.Bull barrels usually shoot better because that they are normally made of high grade stainless steel and it's easier to control the quality of the bore better than on chrome plated carbon steel barrels. Barrel makers who make carbon steel barrels with chrome lining are more concerned with longevity and ease of care than accuracy. All those space guns that people are using to shoot fantastic long range groups with do not have chrome lined carbon steel barrels.I'm not prejudiced against any type of barrels in my AR's (I have both types) but all my long range and match weapons have stainless match barrels.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users