5 replies to this topic

#1 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:44 AM

Had the varmint hunter tuned up so i just finished camoing it up spent a little time zeroing it at 105 ft yesterday .This morning i went to do some laundry and since the lot is long and ends in the woods i brought The gamo VH for the ride . the lot is 80 ft wide with a dumpster on one side it was overflowing with dog poop and lots of food scraps . I went in to load up the wash and came out to a crow eating away i took my time sat in my truck and got loaded and settled in after a few moments whack a 23 yrd shot right through the wing and down he went dead right off the dumpster. With in seconds another was circling and CAW CAW CAW like crazy about 2 minutes later he landed 30 ft above in the tree i cliped him good but no kill { look close you can see the top one with the 2 shots} . much to my surprize 10 minutes later he was in the same spot above his amigo .On the second shot he was down same spot as his bro through the wing into the breast . Gamo domed hunter pellets at 70 ft takes down crows easy Posted Image2 dead crows = fun morning of laundry i have the dumpster shots on my phone for another time

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

I'm assuming that you are in California. You might want to read this: http://www.dfg.ca.go...and-summary.pdf

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

Frank he's in New York.Nice shooting on the crows. They can be tough customers sometimes. I have a friend that hunts a large dairy calf breeding facility and he hunts under a depredation permit. Crows are his hardest target because they are so smart.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

Frank he's in New York.Nice shooting on the crows. They can be tough customers sometimes. I have a friend that hunts a large dairy calf breeding facility and he hunts under a depredation permit. Crows are his hardest target because they are so smart.

Thanks John. Just want to make sure that people don't get in trouble. We have them out on a friend's ranch and after shooting them just one season, they've won't land anywhere less than 400 yards away.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Frank I think crows are smarter than some hunters. They seem to be a one shot proposition. You get one shot and then good luck. :doh[1]:

#6 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:47 AM

Best be careful with calling something depredation. If you are shooting animals you leave food out for, or are shooting them around garbage areas, that's baiting, not depredation. You could be cited. It sounds like you are living in a residential area. Check your local regs as well. If you are near someone's garbage cans, make sure you within legal distance from their buildings when you shoot. They can cite you for discharging a weapon too close to a house. Good shooting on the crows. Like Shooter says, they can be very smart.db

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users