13 replies to this topic

#1 Jon

Jon

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

I know some of you from CA may already be using these. I have afew questions about them that hopefully someone will know the answer to.I plan on shooting them from a multi-shot PCP an AA410, do they fit the magazine?When shooting full power does the 14 grain one fly crazy?And finally about how much does this pellet drop compared to something in the same weight class, does it fly better than lead pellets?

#2 sangerpb

sangerpb

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, ATV, Computer Games

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

If the pellets you are speaking of are the gamo ones, I've had great success.

#3 Jon

Jon

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:14 PM

No they are called dynamic PCP2's. They are much heavier .22 pellets.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Jon, I know VarmintAir (Cliff) has used them at Tejon as they are required there. If he doesn't jump on here tonight and answer this he talks about them in one of his squirrel hunting posts.

#5 Jon

Jon

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:38 PM

Thanks John,I have seen his posts on them and was trying to gather a little more info. I dont want to order a bunch until I read more about them since they are so much more expensive than JSB's.I just like the idea of not handling lead all the time and the shape of them is similar to JSB 10.2 grain .177 pelets I use. The .177's shoot like a house on fire and it seems they are better basllistically than the normal "shuttlecock" shape of most pellets.Anywhere I can save on elevation and accuracy I will. Alot of guys dont shoot much past 30 yards.....I like to push the envelope out to about 7 yards o so and still get MOA accuracy.I guess my main question is....If you didnt have a lead ban would you grap a box of the in pellets or would you grab the old reliable lead pellet if you have a choice in the matter. Luckily I live in Ga which is still on the shooters and hunters side.......at least for now.25.00 bucks a box is very expensive in the airgun world.

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Hey Jon, if I didn't HAVE to shoot the DYNAMIC tin pellets, I would still be shooting lead. They are working great in some of my guns. On a par with JSB in several, including my AA 410. They don't shoot at all in my Logun MK II in .20 cal, and they don't shoot very well in any of my springers so far, but I haven't tried them in everything. The PCP 2 is a 14.5 grain pellet and fits the magazine no problem. The TM 2 is an 18 grain pellet, and must be single loaded. They have not shot as well for me as the PCP 2's. I'm killing ground squirrels out to 75/80 yards with the PCP 2's no problem. Let me know if you want to try them and I'll send you a test sample.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Jon on a second note lead pellets are only banned for now on the Tejon Ranch. The rest of California will not be affected regarding pellets only bullets.

#8 Jon

Jon

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:44 AM

I got that John, my reasons are different. I handle pellets everyday and I own a buisness that supplies lead removal products so I do know what handling regularly can do. Airgunners really arent at risk.I'm not really worried, but I like the idea of non-lead pellets because thy are so much cleaner to the user. But if they are useless accuracy wise and ballistically I will use the good old lead pellet. I know that Californians can use airguns using lead pellets, but I feel that very soon they will get to you as well with the lead ban.I like to think ahead and find some alternatives before I have to scramble. IMHO, I think the gamo PBA was made for a reason..... I think airgunners will be a major target over the next 10 years for restrictions of not only ammo type but gun types as well.Before I read Cliff's post I ordered one box just to see how they do.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

You are smart to think ahead Jon. Unfortunately we in California didn't have that privilege and as you say I think airgun users will become a target sooner than later. It never hurts to have a backup plan of action.

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

You are smart to think ahead Jon. Unfortunately we in California didn't have that privilege and as you say I think airgun users will become a target sooner than later. It never hurts to have a backup plan of action.

Does moving qualify as a backup plan???

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

Yes moving counts. :signlol2iu: So does moving and keeping your head down like when they come to take my lead away. :signlol2iu:

#12 DKOwen

DKOwen

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:20 AM

Not to disagree with you Big Boss, but 'we in California' did indeed have a chance at fighting the lead ban. In fact, through the NRA, we were square on top of it. Since it was clearly 'cooked science' and politics at the Comission level we had 'the fix' in with the Governor. The groundwork was laid with his staff for a veto. It was 'in the bag'. Then three clowns (actually two clowns and a clownette) in Sacto that make their living off scaring gun owners with 'the NRA doesn't do enough for you' (Doing Business As CRPA and GOC IIRC) chose that time to settle a petty squabble they had with a commissioner named Hanna. They wanted the Governor to fire him.....a Republican Governor, a Republican Commissioner and Democrats everywhere you look. It cost Arnold a lot of skin and us all our silver bullets. When it came time for the veto, the Governor decided we (the gun guys) had already got our favor.......we ended up with lead bullet bans far larger than the original law called for and perhaps even more important 'microstamping' on new handguns.And the devil of it all is good guys still buy this self serving BS from these same three clowns and actually send them money! They are clearly the enemy. Join the NRA, support them and be very weary of any group that trashes the NRA or says they'll do a better job for you.Doug Owen

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

Doug,I'm well aware of what happened with regard to the non lead program here in California. I am aware that the game goes on to this day. They make the rules and science to suit their purpose and that stinks. The fix was in from the very beginning. We know the biggest killers of condors are electrical lines but they don't go after power companies to fix that problem because the condor is just a ploy to take hunting away in California. Also more condors have died from eating trash such as bottle caps and glass than from eating lead. So if California would stop their condor feeding program we would be rid of them for good. What with the budget problems in this state you would think this would be a program that could be CUT!. Oh and I am and have been an NRA member for years. Though I really don't appreciate the NRA wine list they keep mailing me. :doh[1]:

#14 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Jon... back on the subject of using lead pellets. I use a large set of tweesers to handle and load my Discovery PCP airgun. Two reasons.... I use to own a jewelry store and using these tweesers was second nature to handle the pellets. 2nd.... Because of a stroke, my right hand does not do a good job of loading pellets under the scope. Soooo... I never have to handle a lead pellet.I bought the tweesers at a Dollar store. Guess how much I paid for them?? :doh[1]: :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users