5 replies to this topic

#1 marsili

marsili

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

does anybody know how to rig a pole for trolling for halibut.how fast should i be trolling and how heavy of weight

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

Marsili; There are way to many virables to give you a good or even close answer with out knowing some facts first.Where are you fishing? Live, dead or artifical bait? How deep? Any current or wind expected? What pound test is the line? Are there any other fish you could catch? Do you have a trolling motor? Sandy bottom or rocky?Those answers will get us started. Major question. Why are you going to troll?

#3 PredatorMaster

PredatorMaster

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

I usually drift or anchor for Halibut. You can use plastic, anchovie, sardines, squid for bait. Dead or alive don't matter. Sandy bottom is the best for catching them. You can fish harbors and piers for them as well. Send the bait straight to the bottom and let it sit or slowly reel in your line real slow. Best of luck I usually fish the power plant for the halibut.

#4 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:52 AM

I have caught halibut while trolling for the bottom for king salmon in Alaska but I've never heard of anyone trolling for halibut. Halibut are usually bottom feeders and found dead on the bottom. That's why their eyes are both on the same side of their head. There are spots recognized as halibut holes and when you find one of these spots that's where you'll most likely have the best success. Slack tide and one hour each side of it is the best time to fish for halibut. Here in Oregon the fish are at a minimum depth of 200 ft. In Alaska I've caught them as shallow as 20' when they're up feeding on salmon carcasses washing out of the streams after the spawn. Our best halibut hole out of Newport is the Chicken Ranch which is 32 miles off shore and the halibut are about 500 to 600 ft deep. We use a 5 lb ball on 80 lb Tuffline to get down and I use squid and big herring for bait. As much squid as you can get on the hook. California halibut are smaller but we used to catch them on anchovies. We drift until we leave the good spot then haul up and get back into position. When fishing in shallow water up in Alaska I don't use bait but a Curly Tail jig. A big one. My biggest halibut up there was 224 lbs. My biggest one in Oregon was about 60 lbs. In California maybe 20 lbs. Some Oregon 'buts.Attached File  1.jpg   27.97KB   11 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   28.19KB   11 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   15.84KB   10 downloads

#5 Hookum

Hookum

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:I hunt biggame, upland, waterfowl and now varmits.
    Love the shooting sports. Rifle,pistol and shotgun. I fish both freshwater and salt.

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

does anybody know how to rig a pole for trolling for halibut.how fast should i be trolling and how heavy of weight

In the SF bay we use Bombers and Bango Bs. Use a three way swivle with snap swivle for your cannon ball or banana weights. Depending on depth, I usually troll in 10-20 of water and use around 2 -8 oz. 2 to 3mph per gps will do. 3' of 20-40 lbs mono from swivle to lure. I only troll if I cannt' find the schools or am really bored. Once on the fish switch over to whole anchovies, shinners or herring, dead or alive is ok Live is better. Drift with wind and tide. They are lite biters and prefer to eat head first so they mouth it. I drop my pole on the first bite give them about 6ft then set the hook.

#6 Moe

Moe

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

Up in Juneau I had a couple of buddies who only fished for really big halibut. They used large circle hooks and for bait they just cut the head off of a pink salmon and used the body. Halibut up here are not light biters. They grab, swallow and just keep moving. You have to hold on to the rod at all times and be ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users