22 replies to this topic

#1 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

As you guys may remember, I ordered a Discovery in .22 from MAC 1 and received one in .177 that I decided to keep. At about the same time, I sprained the heck out of my right ankle, so all I could do was shoot it inside the house at 15 yards. I found a pellet that it shot into a bug hole, and that's nice but not much of a test.My ankle is healed, so I headed to California to visit a friend and shoot some ground squirrels on his place. The first thing I did was to put the Discovery on paper at 25 yards. She shot another bug hole. COOL! I made a scope adjustment, and put another 5 down range and she shot an even smaller bug hole. COOL! I made another small scope adjustment and moved the target frame out to a lasered 40 yards and put another 5 down range. She put 3 onto almost the same hole and 2 just outside that. WAY COOL!!!This little rifle is a shooter. I'm glad I spent the extra few bucks and had MAC 1 go through it. In the accuracy department, she's holding her own against some of my higher end rifles. The trigger is a bit heavy, but after shooting the gun for a while I didn't even notice. I started shooting some of the ground squirrels around my buddy's property and hardly missed out to 60 yards. I still like the .22 cal. better for hunting ground squirrels, but if this were the only gun I had, they would still be in deep, deep, trouble. B)Here's a video, and some pics.http://imageevent.co...=...amp;s=0&z=2Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:34 PM

Good shooting!

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:44 PM

That's great shooting Cliff. Those squirrels are paying homage to the Airgun Gods. :signgreatreport3kg: Those are some excellent groups for a gun of that price. I can't wait to see how you do when the .22 gets here. One another note did you hear about Tejon selling out? Really ashame they did that to all of the sportsmen that went there.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

Good shooting. Groups look good, sorry you're having all that trouble hitting those coins.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:26 AM

That's great shooting Cliff. Those squirrels are paying homage to the Airgun Gods. :lame: Those are some excellent groups for a gun of that price. I can't wait to see how you do when the .22 gets here. One another note did you hear about Tejon selling out? Really ashame they did that to all of the sportsmen that went there.

I'm pretty impressed with this thing. It's nothing fancy, but as far as being a "squirrel hammer" goes, she'll drive pellets through squirrels at some pretty good distances, all day long. B)I'm going to give MAC1 a call today and see what's the haps with the .22. What's the story on the Tejon?
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#6 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:29 AM

Good shooting. Groups look good, sorry you're having all that trouble hitting those coins.

Hey, those coins are tough targets. I swear they move just when I shoot. :lame: :lol:

#7 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:32 AM

Good shooting!

Thanks, it's great fun. It's like being 12 again, only with much better equipment. :lame:

#8 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:46 AM

Couldn't get the video to run but the pics look great. That is some nice shooting! I may have to buy one of those as well as my Gold Finger. Your really grouping them nice with that rifle. It's amazing. I have alwasy collected air guns (Old Crossmans) But never really got into shooting them that much. Now all of a sudden I enjoy shooting my air gun more than my other rifles! :lame:

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

Couldn't get the video to run but the pics look great. That is some nice shooting! I may have to buy one of those as well as my Gold Finger. Your really grouping them nice with that rifle. It's amazing. I have alwasy collected air guns (Old Crossmans) But never really got into shooting them that much. Now all of a sudden I enjoy shooting my air gun more than my other rifles! :lame:

Thanks. You need QuickTime Player for the video to run. If you decide to get one, in my opinion, it's worth the extra $20 to get it from MAC 1. They go through the rifle, re-cut the crown, do some work on the chamber end, put in a power adjuster, (which I've never used) upgrade the "O" ring on the probe, tweak the trigger, and a few other things. The bottom line is, you've got a gun that has been gone through by an expert, and I think the result shows in mine.I haven't shot my powder burners in about five years. I'm heading to Wyoming this July on an airgun prairie dog hunting safari. I used to go every year with my powder burners, but stopped about 15 years ago. I just burned out on it. Now I'm excited again to be doing something different and hunting them with my airguns. It's going to be a blast.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

What's the story on the Tejon?

Read through this.http://www.californi...d...ost&p=83199Tejon is to become a state park so that Tejon Development can build homes on a tiny portion of the ranch.

Time waits for no one--

#11 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

Read through this.http://www.californi...d...ost&p=83199Tejon is to become a state park so that Tejon Development can build homes on a tiny portion of the ranch.

That ten percent will be worth mega bucks once developed into an exclusive site for rich folks. It is now clear why Tejon was willing to ban lead before the state did. It was part of a master plan to develop the remaining area with the blessing of the environmentalists. I wonder what's really going on up at Hunter Liggett? It is scary to realize how much power these folks have and that the republicans have bought into it for the sake of allowing the developer to make a bunch of $$$ and make big contributions to the party in the future.Woodog
Maricopa in the Southern San Joaquin Valley

#12 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the info. Have a website for Mac1?

#13 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Have a website for Mac1?

MAC 1 is here: http://www.mac1airgun.com/

#14 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

I can't seem to find the Benjamin Discovery's on there site. :lame:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#15 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

I can't seem to find the Benjamin Discovery's on there site. :lame:

Hate to say that I'm happy you didn't.. I was starting to feel pretty lame because I didn't see it anywhere either. You made me feel a little better.

#16 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

haha, I have probably spent 10min on that damn site clicking on just about everything. :lame:
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#17 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

haha, I have probably spent 10min on that damn site clicking on just about everything. :lame:

I never looked for it on their site. When I placed my order, I just called them and talked to them on the phone. Sounds like they don't have it on the site yet. :lol:

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:06 PM

That's alright it keeps them sharp looking for it. :lame:

Time waits for no one--

#19 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

I never looked for it on their site. When I placed my order, I just called them and talked to them on the phone. Sounds like they don't have it on the site yet. :lame:

How much did you pay for it? Did you get the pump with it?

#20 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

Check this website: Here.But remember these are pretty loud as they don't have shrouded barrels or moderators on them.

Time waits for no one--

#21 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

How much did you pay for it? Did you get the pump with it?

I paid $250 without the pump. I already own a couple carbon fiber tanks, so I skipped the pump. I just talked to Tim at MAC 1, and they are still waiting for their shipment of .22 cal. Discovery's to come in, so i guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.It's not quiet, but in the wide open spaces it doesn't seem very loud. It didn't spook other squirrels that were just a few feet from the one I would whack. However, it's certainly no backyard plinker.

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

That's how I should have put it. It's no backyard plinker. Thanks Cliff, that's what I was trying to say. For some reason the mouth ears and brain are connected very well today.

Time waits for no one--

#23 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:38 PM

I have my disco .22 cal about 6 weeks and been through 300 shots. At 40 yrd's it groups just like your .177 i can't get it out of my bro's hands . I had some cat rich from michigan ,tune my gamo .117 and there both solid at 40 yrd's and grackle at the roost don't have a prayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users