Photo

Fixed Power Scopes for Varmint Shooting?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:10 AM

Is it possible to use a fixed (10X) power scope for ground squirrel shooting? Or is it a must have to use a high power/adjustable power scope for these small critters.... I'd appreciate any information/experiences.Thanks!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

There are no rules to what you must use. A 10X scope will work. The limiting factors are that the field of view will be restricted making for finding your target quickly more difficult. Then shooting extremely long ranges more power is always nice. It will work for you though, it's just an adjustable high powered scope makes the job easier. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

Joel I agree with John. My old 22-250 Ruger still has a 10x Leupold on it, after 35 yrs. Back then the adjustable scopes didn't have the clarity they do now. My eyes were way better way back and the squirrels caught hell. I took it to the range the other day and it still shoots great when the shooter (me) does his part. Dale
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#4 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:04 PM

Depending on what rifle you have the 10x would would work for the squirrels if you want to shoot them at a 100yards or 400 yards a 25power scope sure cuts the work and strain on your eyes on those long shots. But different strokes for different folks.

#5 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Gold Prospecting, Camping, Fishing, Run and Gun (IPSC) Shooting and Airsoft (one of the few old guys at the field)

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:14 PM

I want a scope for my reg'd AR that I just bought a new DPMS upper reciever with a 24" heavy barrel. For simplicity, I want a fixed power scope with no A/O. The only fixed power scope I own is mounted on a shotgun. I read in other forums, that a 10X can be effective out to 500 yards? How big is that target???

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:39 PM

Joel, I just peered thru my scope at 500 yards across the vacant field next door. At 10x, a ground squirrel will be MIGHTY small in your scope. The recticle will probably cover a squirrel at 500 yards, depending on how thick the cross hairs are. A less expensive scope with a standard recticle will cover about 1/2" at 100 yards. That's roughly 2.5" at 500 yards, about the thickness of a squirrel, but 500 yards is a long shot and it's going to be difficult to keep the crosshairs where you want them exactly. Also, holdover will be very difficult to judge on small targets. At 20x magnification it's much easier to make a quick adjustment and hold a few inches high to compensate for bullet drop. Example at 300 yards you might want to aim for the head to compensate for 3" of bullet drop. At 10x magnification, it's much harder to make those kinds of judgements and adjustments. How do you know if you're aiming at the head or the shoulders or three inches high if the recticle all but covers the squirrel? I'd say that 10x fixed scope is just fine for larger targets like what the military uses them for. A humanoid target at 500 yards with a 10x target is not that hard to hit. But as you know, MOST squirrels are quite a bit smaller than a humanoid target. If not, then hopefully a 500 yard lead is enough for you to run run away very quickly. :)Grab your 10x scope and a coke can. Set the can 500 yards down the street. Peer thru your scope. Is that acceptable to you? Maybe, maybe not. But then again, 500 yards is not a typical ground squirrel shot, at least not for me. Maybe shooterjohn or bzzrd feedr will tell you different. :lol:

#7 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

Stiff Neck - thanks for bringing things to light here. I think (high powered) adjustable power scopes will continue to occupy space on my rifles. ;) I'm not in the military/LEO, nor do I do high power competitions, so I think personally, I'll leave the fixed 10X alone for now :lol:.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

For coyotes and such a 10x is good you have a wider field of view but coyotes are bigger than sqirrels. I love my 10x mil dot on my 223. but im thinking of putting my 6-24x on my 204 . I think a A.R. looks better with a smaller scope more tactical look IMO.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:02 PM

I think a A.R. looks better with a smaller scope more tactical look IMO.

Posted ImageMe too! :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Thats cool looking :lol: and do not paint it . Think I need one of those.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#11 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:22 AM

Yes, a smaller scope does look more tactical... Which is the other reason why I wanted fixed. They seem to be a shorter in length. But I guess I'll go less fashion and go with function. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users